PDA

View Full Version : Please give pastels own heading!!!

nvcricket
12-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Dear Sir/Madam,

Why are pastels listed under medium Drawing???

Is it possible for you to create a seperate catagory in your drop down for pastels?

As a pastelist- I consider it a seperate medium, just as watercolors, and acrylics, and oils. All use color in the medium with different binders.

Drawing skills are imperitive for all mediums. This is not to meant as a slight to drawing. It just seems that when putting the site together, it seems as if there was a question on the importance of pastels, and where to list them, and they were conveniently tucked away in the drawing catagory...

I do understand that this decision could be based on the educated belief that since the outdated Dewey Decimal System lists pastels under Drawing, then, as they are the powers to be, why upset the applecart.

Pastel artists have to confront enough medium predjudice on a daily basis. Pastel artists battle a miseducated public continiously in their efforts to have their art taken seriously. From art show jurists, to gallery owners, to framers, to buyers, to ... suppliers:rolleyes:

You would be doing your pastel customers a huge honor if you were to list this as a seperate catagory. It would also be easier for a pastelist to navigate your site in order to find supplies that are medium specific.

I thankyou in advance for your consideration and attention to this matter.

Most sincerely,
Carolyn

mrking
12-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Hear Hear!! :D

Blick Art Materials
12-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi Carolyn,
We passed your questions on, and you received your answer on
the web topics, but thought we would help a little to get you to
your pastels on the website a little faster.

Check out the Alphabet Bar at the top of the web pages. For Pastels,
go to the letter "P", then go down to Pastels, click on it.
Voila! The Pastel category links are all there for you to browse.
Also on the Alphabet index pages are the listings for the product Brand
Names on the far right. This helps if you have a brand in mind, but may
not know the product as well.

- your friends at Blick Art Materials

nvcricket
01-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Dear Friends,

I'm missing it??? I don't know what you mean by I received my answer on the web topics? Where can I go to find web topics???

Thanks for the tip on the alpha scroll down, I'll try it out, but I don't really have a problem navigating to find the pastels. I am led to assume they would be in the drawing category as they aren't listed in a separate listing of their own. (wishful thinking). Just as if I was at the library.

It's just frustrating for pastel artists to sell artwork to a public that doesn't take the medium seriously, and to have to face the same prejudice with retailers. Read these three threads to understand what I am trying to explain...
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458427
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452406 and
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406428

Perhaps the answer from "Blick" perspective, is just a matter of economics, I would think that the other three mediums, oils, acrylics, and watercolors far out sell the pastels. And every "bite" of space is dedicated to what sells best.

Truly, I appreciate the opportunity to voice this concern, and I am very appreciative that it is being taken under consideration. I hope you don't feel I am picking on Blick, as you work for an awesome company that does a great service for the art community.

Thanks for your attention to this matter!:)

Carol

Blick Art Materials
01-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi Carol,
We are so sorry about the misunderstanding - there are no "web topics" as such.
It was a "web topic" in reference to your request that Pastels have their own category on our website. The web team was delayed in getting back to
you on your first e-mail request, and we apologize! They were getting things
in place for Pastels on the website and wanted to get that done before
responding.
I have just talked with them, and with Kudos to you, Pastels now have their
own category in the Departments drop-down menu. Check it out.

Becky

nvcricket
07-08-2008, 09:15 PM
thank you,thank you,thank you, thank you, thank you

:clap::clap::clap:

Carol

Blick Art Materials
07-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi Carol!

You are so welcome. Pastels now have their own space
on our site, and we thank you for your request and commentary.

Have a great day!

Becky