PDA

View Full Version : My "Beloved Spanky"

Jodi B.
12-15-2007, 10:54 PM
:wave: Hi all,
This is a painting of my "Spanky" who sadly is no longer with us. It is a watercolor / pen & ink painting done on Archers 140lb cold press watercolor paper and using micron pens. It is actually a photograph of the original painting, so the perspective is off just a little. I did not want to take it out of the frame to scan it. It is the first one I painted after taking a watercolor workshop with "Claudia Nice". Luckily I only live about 3-4 hours away from her studio in Mt. Hood, Oregon so I have been able to take other workshops too. Hope you enjoy it. Critiques are welcome.....;) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2007/122886-wetcanvas_pic_edited-1.jpg

MonicaB
12-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi Jodi. This is fantastic! What a lovely tribute, and wonderful painting. I envy you being able to take classes from Claudia. She has a big fanclub here!

Jodi B.
12-18-2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks Monica. I had always wondered if Claudia even gave classes and then one day I found her site on the internet and discovered she did in fact give classes and that I was close enough to be able to go to them. I was just thrilled to death. She is such a neat person, very down to earth and of course a great teacher and artist. Take care...

Jakeally
12-19-2007, 10:23 AM
A gorgeous painting of a very hadsome dog. Very well done:clap:
I wish I was close enough to take a class with Claudia Nice too.

toonmom
12-19-2007, 11:11 AM
This is a wonderful painting. The neck tie bothers me a little though. My eye keeps going back to it. Maybe if it were toned down a bit it would help. I know this is after the fact since it is framed already. It's just something that I noticed. I love how you handled the fur, especially on the top part of the head. So realistic!

Jodi B.
12-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I know what you mean about the neck tie. I just automatically did it because that was what he was wearing in the photo. I always wished I would have changed it to our favorite collar we had for him. It had dive flags (scuba) on it. My husband and I both have done quite a bit of diving and one day we put Spanky in the water over his head thinking he would like it like most dogs do, but instead he got a case of the hives....so we found this dive flag collar and thought he had earned the right to wear it. Boy, I sure do miss him! Take care...

toonmom
12-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Sounds like a great dog!