PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Knots for a Quilt?

photomemory
12-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Just looking at the Celtic Knots in this website and the little wheels in my heads were a'turning..
How about putting those Celtic Knots on a quilt top.. or a pillow?
Has anyone ever done it.. you cud use bias binding.. perhaps you'd have to make it yourself, but it sure would look pretty, don't you think?

lisilk
12-15-2007, 02:11 PM
I've never done it but I know there are several artists here who do quite a bit of celtic design work. I think the designs would look gorgeous as a quilt. Hopefully you will get some feedback on this and maybe even some pattern ideas!

Li

photomemory
12-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your reply liskilk.. i have always LOVED celtic work... so simple yet so ornate! You cud always start with a pillow top i suppose... but i'm just wondering what type of fabric wud have enuf "bend" to do the twists and turns justice?
It wud be nice if you cud do it in cotton.. but that doesn't have much give.. what about silk?? Cud you control it enuf to make a 1/4 inch or less bias strip??

chatfieldstudios
12-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Celtic knots on a quilt would be wonderful! I would start with something small like a pillow or a wallhanging, before I tackled a bigger quilt.

There are several clip art books available with Celtic knot designs and I'm sure if you do a google on Celtic Knot Quilt Patterns you would have plenty of inspiration to choose from.

As for the fabric you need to be able to do the twists and turns, a good high count quilt fabric cut on the BIAS is what you need.

There is also iron on bias tape that comes in different colors that would be very simple to use. Most quilt shops carry black bias iron on tape (which quilter's use to create stained glass quilts), but you could again do a google on "iron on bias tape" and find it in many colors and probably a couple of different widths.

I hope that helps....:)

Rose Queen
12-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Oddly enough, the Pen & Ink forum, especially the Calligraphy sub-forum, has a ton Celtic patterns. They could easily be adapted from a pen to sewing!

beebluefern
12-15-2007, 04:36 PM
What a great idea! I'd love to see it done. I think quilts are so beautiful and traditional-what better than a Celtic Knot to tie the two together? Not being one who quilts, or even sews very much, I'm not sure how you could do this, but if I did, I might like to use the Knot designs to quilt an overall pattern on the fabric and maybe stuff batting into the design to give a trapunto effect...maybe it's called something else in quilting? Anyway, if someone does give this a try, hope they let us see the finished quilt!!!!

DrDebby
12-15-2007, 07:08 PM
There is a book that lays out how to use bias tape for what it calls interlacing borders. Very helpful in that it shows you how to make your own bias strips to use on the quilt. It's called "Interlacing Borders" by Donna Hussain, ISBN 1-56477-237-3. I've been trying to get to a project using the technique on the sleeves of a blouse (one of my UFO's). Hope that helps.

lisilk
12-15-2007, 07:41 PM
http://www.quiltingroom.com/designs-supplies-quilt-designs-amish-celtic-and-baby-quilts.html

Celtic Quilt Patterns (http://www.scarlettrose.com/celtic_quilt_patterns.html)

And a book:
Celtic Quilts, Beth Ann Williams, ISBN 1564773108
"Create exquisite, interlacing Celtic patterns more simply and quickly than ever before! These timesaving techniques show you how to baste Celtic motifs with fusible web, machine applique with invisible stitches, and add dramatic colour and texture with decorative threads. Celebrate the unique complexity of Celtic knotwork using both ancient and modern patterns."

Alison2
12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi,

I can also recommend 'Celtic Quilting,' and 'More Celtic Quilting,' by Gail Lawther. She uses bias binding and her instructions are very clear. I actually did a workshop with her but it was on stained glass rather than celtic, but the same principle with bias binding. Her instructions are very clear and I've seen her work exhibited too - it's fab!

Do let us see what you do!

Alison2:wave:

beebluefern
12-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Just wanted to revive this thread again to see what had been added since my post!
Alison2, I took a look at Gail Lawther's site and saw this really cute idea..I think, if I had a sewing machine, even I could do this!!:lol: Bowls...who'd a thunk!:thumbsup:
http://www.hbweb.co.uk/gqpv3/teamwork.asp

I didn't find her Celtic work on this site, although I didn't look everywhere, but I plan on going back and trying to find an example of her work somewhere on the net! Gorgeous stuff!!! Thanks for the info!

Oh man!!! She has quilt patterns for Blue Willow...my alltime favorite china pattern!!!!:cool:
Hi,

I can also recommend 'Celtic Quilting,' and 'More Celtic Quilting,' by Gail Lawther. She uses bias binding and her instructions are very clear. I actually did a workshop with her but it was on stained glass rather than celtic, but the same principle with bias binding. Her instructions are very clear and I've seen her work exhibited too - it's fab!

Do let us see what you do!

Alison2
12-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Just wanted to revive this thread again to see what had been added since my post!
Alison2, I took a look at Gail Lawther's site and saw this really cute idea..I think, if I had a sewing machine, even I could do this!!:lol: Bowls...who'd a thunk!:thumbsup:
http://www.hbweb.co.uk/gqpv3/teamwork.asp

I didn't find her Celtic work on this site, although I didn't look everywhere, but I plan on going back and trying to find an example of her work somewhere on the net! Gorgeous stuff!!! Thanks for the info!

Oh man!!! She has quilt patterns for Blue Willow...my alltime favorite china pattern!!!!:cool:

Glad it was useful! I love the bowls she's done too, they're great! They've got the celtic quilting books listed on Amazon if you're interested - am not sure if they're just used copies but they're still there.

Look forward to seeing what you do!

beebluefern
12-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Alison2, I'm not a quilter, just admirer! Although, these Celtic designs are inspirational for my knitting!! I did go to Amazon and her books are there...some used some new. Good prices...plus numerous other Celtic Design books!

vinesqueen
02-09-2008, 02:09 AM
I don't quilt or sew really either, but I do some celtic knotwork. I have to give the highest regards to Tess' interlace and knotwork tutorials in the caligraphy sub-forum in Pen and ink.

I would think that if you are going to do an interlace quilt you would maybe want to go through these tutorials so you get a good feeling for what the patern is doing and why.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402525

Nermal
03-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Maybe you can look at the website of Karen Combs. She makes celtic patterns and you can try some in EQ6.

http://www.karencombs.com/

TASFiberArtist
03-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Celtlic knots have been used in quilting for years. There are several books using bias strips to make the knots. Clover makes a bias strip that you can iron down to hold it temporaily till you you can sew it down, but I usually add pins to hold it down also, the adhesive is not very good. Cotton works quite well for bias strips.