PDA

View Full Version : Fun color study on Split Complimentary

BabyBeeb
12-14-2007, 03:42 PM
More recently, I've been playing with color using the book Mastering Color by Vicki McMurry. (You may have seen a previous post on lemons a week ago). This is supposed to be my attempt of a split complimentary of blue, with red-orange, and yellow orange. As I was going along, I tended to just use just the blues, and now I think it is more of a complimentary color study. Oh well. I had used a saturated under painting of red-orange and used broken color so the red-orange peeked through. Hoping to learn something from these studies. Just wanted to share! :)
5 x 5" Wallis.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2007/50118-Color_Study_5.jpg

QueenBArt
12-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I personally think this is brilliant work and well executed! I took a workshop on complimentary colors. I have started using what I learned and found that it works really well. Never thought to try anything like this, I have a hard time seeing color in another color*lol* But I am loving this alot! Great job!

Maureen Grantham
12-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Its a very nice painting. I like the complementary colour peeking through the blue, gives a sparkle to the mainly blue picture.

JON805
12-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Wonderful study, great small painting. It amazes me how you were able to capture so much in a 5"X5", thanks for sharing this color study!

RooGal
12-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Lovely Brenda! and only 5 X 5 oi! I've been playing around with complementary underpaintings and enjoying what develops, but I really like this piece. Well done!

Paula Ford
12-14-2007, 06:22 PM
I love this Brenda! Beautiful color combinations.

Paula

Donna T
12-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Really nice, Brenda! Those colors do sparkle. I keep looking at the knife and spoon and all the colors you used for them -beautiful! I hope you have another lesson to share soon.

Donna

WC Lee
12-14-2007, 09:03 PM
very nice :) great contrast and colors

Dougwas
12-14-2007, 10:43 PM
This looks great. I like all the different tones of blue. I also like how the red-orange underpainting peeks through.

Doug

Ceci
12-15-2007, 03:09 AM
Love how the colors look. Beautiful painting and sooo small.
ceci

Mary Brigid
12-15-2007, 10:26 AM
My gosh Brenda how did you get all this detail into so small a painting. The colours work wonderful together. I really like it
Mary Brigid

Deborah Secor
12-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Brenda, I like this color direction for you! So neat that you're playing and thinking... As for the split-comp, of course as you said you really have a complementary painting. Why not try it again with three clearer color choices? Maybe your red-orange, yellow-orange and blue...but less of the jazzy (and fun!) color layering and more differing the colors of the objects. For instance, a blue bowl on a yellow-orange plate with a red-orange cup. Then you can let the splits jazz each other up but not lose the overall effect of the exercise. I s'pect you're already thinking this way--maybe even already tried it. It's a great way to get the creative juices flowing AND learn about what colors do to one another, huh?

Have fun!
Deborah

PS Looked at your blog and it's downright inspiring! You go, girl! :thumbsup:

Diana_pastels
12-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Cool!
Diana

BabyBeeb
12-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Hi all of you!
I've been away from the computer for two days after posting this image because I have a rotten head cold and it wiped me out! Im feeling better now, and now can think clearly.
Thanks for all the nice words on this study. I've been trying to just play with these color studies so I can add some "sparkle" to my work. And some of you have even validated this for me from your nice posts! I'm learning I guess! Vicki's book has really been helpful for this. I probably should have posted this in the color theory forum, but since I'm in love with pastels and recognize most of your posts, I thought I'd stay local here..hee hee.
Anyway, some of you mention it's such a small painting, well I say to you, go look at Donna T's post on Holiday Mini's http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463466 postage stamp painting! Eeeeks!
Yes, Deborah, I think I will try your suggestions. I have been looking for an image that has these colors in it, or at least some of the colors that I can tweek to make it a better split complimentary study. Or maybe I just use this image. Ha! I'll do just that! Back to the easel! Oh, and thanks for looking at my blog. I wonder if I'm just writing it to myself! :rolleyes:

sielograms
12-16-2007, 07:58 PM
This is quite a powerful little painting...ok maybe not so little compared to a postage stamp size. I have been wanting to try a split-complimentary in a portrait but have yet to try. Maybe I'll look into getting the book you mentioned. Nice work!

Donna T
12-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Nice blog, Brenda! I added it to my favorites because I know sometimes you bloggers don't always have time to post everything here. And I hate to miss anything! Congrats on the sale of the beautiful lavender painting!!!

Donna

BabyBeeb
12-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks Donna! I'm so thrilled that one sold on ImageKind. Although it's not enough to buy everyone a latte', I know at least it works now! I had been on their forum for a week and I think that is what prompted a purchase. And thanks for the "favorite" linkie too! I still think you are the master of miniatures though!