GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Olives
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hi all, it's been a while. This piece is a bit different for me. It was commissioned, and when the person contacted me all he said was that he wanted me to paint nothing but green olives. So, I did, but, I wanted them to be a bit more vibrant and alive. This is the result.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Let me know what you think.

billmahler
12-14-2007, 08:18 AM
This is innovative, intelligent and inspiring.
Well done.

thomas w
12-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Very nice in a pop art sort of way. The pimentoes are very striking almost candy-like. Good stuff.
Thomas W

kathrynlovespets
12-14-2007, 12:34 PM
indeed, very vibrant,
very alive..and very Christmasy
good job with the shadows

Corby
12-15-2007, 07:21 PM
WoW! I am blown away at how such a simple thing can be so decorative. You can really punch it up if you add more pimentos, even just a rim showing on the back sides of the olives and then let that brilliant red reflect on olives next to it. Lastly make full use of disappearing edges. Anywhere one olive slides behind another, the edge should disappear there and a shadow result from the other olive. The dark background holes many of the olives have their forms protruding into those holes, edges should be softened there. Just the simple process of losing those edges really gives you a "sock in the eye!"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Dec-2007/70790-95648_Olives.jpg

ejtupi
12-15-2007, 08:00 PM
I agree with CL's assessment re: edges. I have to disagree about the number of pimentos. I enjoy the composition partly because the pimento-stuffed olives are generally pointed toward the top of the canvas. Adding more might detract from this visual insistence. Not sure what a dimension of "40" means, but if this picture is 40 X 40 inches, it's got to be an attention-grabber. I'm with Bill: very innovative.

micahwg
12-16-2007, 12:37 AM
Thank you all very much. I like the idea of softening the edges into the black background. Makes me shake my head and think "Why didn't I think of that..." As far as the dimensions, it was supposed to be 40"x30". I guess I wasn't paying attention when I entered that info. Again thank you all so much, I really value all your comments and crits.:D

ArtBlogerKO
12-16-2007, 07:03 AM
I've always thought green olives are cool looking. lol. Weird thought, I know, but you really captured that look. Good job. I'm impressed.