PDA

View Full Version : yellow rose

tigre255
06-13-2002, 07:53 PM
This is a rose that I painted on cheap WC paper, 7 x 11. I know it's an odd size, but was just praticeing. I usually paint in oils or acrylics or colored pencil and pen & ink. I've been trying to learn watercolour for a long time on my own and getting a little crazy. Just seem to have a hard time working with it. And it's my favorite medium. At least when I'm looking at other peoples work.

Any suggestions would be great.

tigre255
06-13-2002, 08:03 PM
Here it is I hope

Little Old Lady
06-13-2002, 08:52 PM
Looks very nice to me!
JoAnn

al22
06-13-2002, 10:13 PM
Nice color, depth and highlights on the rose.......needs a bit on the left for some balance.......
.....al

Jprice022
06-13-2002, 11:50 PM
You are certainly off to a good start. I agree with Al that it needs something on the left for balance.

Good picture.

John

Eye
06-14-2002, 02:04 AM
Very soft. It looks very good to me. Eye

Yorky
06-14-2002, 03:56 AM
You made a really good painting of a difficult flower. I would have darkened the leaves and added some on the left to make the background recede a little. I couldn't paint a rose like that for toffee!:D

Doug

PS we'd live to know your forename - we're a friendly lot at WC - like one big happy family!:)

pampe
06-14-2002, 05:52 PM
watercolor is HARD!!!!:crying:

You've picked a tough medium and done a good job!!!

This rose is very nice!!

Billy here alway says...."paint like a millionaire"...one of your frustrations may be your paper....have you tried any of the better papers?

Pam

Gia
06-14-2002, 05:59 PM
agree, the rose is very nice, maybe you should add some darks
of different values close to the petals..... to make the rose
" stand out" more..... my suggestion...

tigre255
06-14-2002, 06:26 PM
All of you are very kind, thank you. I have made some of those suggestions to the rose and will post as soon as I scan it. And I do agree that the quality of the paper does matter, I just hate messing up good paper on my experiments with the medium. I guess I'm just cheap lol.

Flowers are not my problem though, it's landscapes that I mostly have trouble with and really want to do. In oils or any other medium I don't have a problem, just watercolors.

Will post the changes soon.

Sylvielu
06-14-2002, 08:03 PM
Watercolor is a difficult challenge but it is also enjoyable. I too did pastels, acrylic and some oil. but I have always been drawn to watercolors.

Landscapes can be challenging. My advice would be to mix your own greens. Try using black and yellow you might be surprised.

tigre255
06-14-2002, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all of the help. I did put more dark on the left and posted it again, but i must have started a new post. That's the trouble with us newbie. Thank again, I am going to try a landscape this weekend.

NorahT
06-15-2002, 09:17 AM
Nicely done - I think you will do well in watercolour :)

Cecilia
06-15-2002, 09:57 AM
I agree with everyone it is a wonderful piece of work. I also thought a bit of darkening in the background would help pop out the yellow even more.....yellow roses are my favorite.
What mt husband gives me every anniversary.
I hope you will continue with the watercolor you have a great start!!