PDA

View Full Version : Water Lily

doodledee
12-13-2007, 02:07 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-13-2007/99195_googlelily5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-13-2007/99195_lili9.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Water Lily
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Based on img in RIL posted by Ron, thank you Ron (second img posted I hope).

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Thank you Bill & Corby for your suggestions in WIP, let me know if I missed the mark. All comments are welcome particularly do I need to add more highlights?

margueritec
12-13-2007, 02:41 PM
It looks like the top image is your painting and the lower image is a photo, right? If so, in my opinion lighten your lights even more if you want it to "pop" as in the photo. I would lighten the reflection on the water too. In fact, if you also add reflections on the right lower side, I think you will enhance the composition (right now the focal point is dead center. notice how in the photo, is is offset to the left). Either way, it is appealing, and a good likeness to your photo. I hope this is helpful.

L'Artiste
12-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi! I think you have done a wonderful job capturing the shape and color of the lily. You could add some more highlights if you wanted, but then I think you could also deepen the shadow and increase the contrast if you wanted to take it from softly and serene to bright and eye-catching. Depends on the mood you want to communicate.

doodledee
12-13-2007, 04:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2007/99195-googlelily4.jpg

Trying to upload a better photo, neither one of these pics have been color adjusted. It's raining & dark outside so I'm photographing inside, never a good idea.

MRSBB
12-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Doodledee.......Your flower is beautiful. I tried a flower last night and I now have a new found respect for all the flower painters. Keep having fun....Lenore

billmahler
12-13-2007, 10:45 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2007/111636-waterlily.jpg

You've got a good painting going here and you can decide when to stop, based on what your vision is.

Being a bit older and feeble of sight, I need more punch in my paintings so I tend to emphasize the contrast between light and dark more.
I couldn't resist adding some highlights and darkening some shadows on your wonderful petals to show you how I would finish it up, but this is a matter of taste, not a critique.
Do you see the things I did?
How do they look to you?

doodledee
12-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Margueritc & L'Artiste, the general concensus seems to be to push the lights & darks a bit more, Thank you for taking the time to look & respond.

Bill, I'm right there with ya, although still in a bit of denial about those bifocal things. I do see where you deepened the cool cast shadow, looks a bit more intense/warmer in some petals and heightened the light on the tips of petals. It does give more visual impact.

I'm so afraid of pushing it too far, if one can. I put the hightlights in w/a pale yellow orange and used a toothpick to apply it! How silly. I'm proceeding with caution and will wait until it dries a bit and then go at it again. Thank you so much, De

Continental
12-14-2007, 02:10 PM
I would make the shadows on the white petals grayer and warmer vs. cooler.
Add some detail in the center Yellow area. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.:thumbsup:

Beautiful job on this!

doodledee
12-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Continental, Thank you for your advise, it is well taken. I have grayed some of the petals, deepend the shadows and added more highlights. Still having difficulty adding detail that looks "right" in the center, but calling this done anyway. Still having a hard time getting a decent photo so it's time to move on.

Thank you all for your valued opinions.

Continental
12-17-2007, 09:58 AM
It's a beautiful piece regardless of the changes or not. :thumbsup: