MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-12-2007/98770_work2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: I wish you "love for all!"
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30x30cm
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Well, christmas is coming up and this is one of the girls that I'd love to make happy during that - otherwise so capitalistic - celebration..<br><br>This is a painting that just came naturally.. If you know my previous work you'll realize that this one lacks pointed teeth, a soul devouring mouth or blood running down her chin..

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
If you weren't suspecting anything and clawed through a layer of commercial christmas paper, a layer of bubbe wrap and found this painting well hidden inside would you 1) cry 2) throw it into the fireplace (to keep you warm as gazed through the diamond on your very expensive diamond ring) 3) smile and be happy..<br><br>Please be harsch like Moz! There is still time for me to make adjustments!<br><br>(This one is actually originating from my heart La - No sad, odd painted clown this time ;)

La_
12-12-2007, 11:17 PM
ahh, the heart and soul of it all translates well through music

doesn't harsh my mellow

know not who Moz! is but i'll guess he'd agree she's a large dent in her neck remeniscent of a clumbsy tracheotomy - he's also probably agree my spelling sucks

i would smile and call her cheryl, cause she looks like a cheryl i know ... moz might not

work it manoman, squeeeze that muscle, feels funky d'n it

= )

la

azipofwhisky
12-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Ouch, sounds like a painful operation.. Will put some more efforts into softening the shadows then I guess..

kathrynlovespets
12-13-2007, 11:02 AM
id smile and be happy
great job with the hair

margueritec
12-13-2007, 02:29 PM
I think the portrait is very well done. I agree that the shadow on her neck would be better if it was lighter and had a less definable edge. I notice a small stroke of dark red or brown (on my monitor) on her hand. To me this adds life to her skin. I wonder if you could add a warm color to her face as you did her hand and hair, because right now only her eyes have any warmth. But, considering your comment about your past work (which I haven't seen), maybe you don't want the warm body look. :)

Smoker
12-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Simon,

The red around the eyes, from my point of view, takes away from the soft shadows of the eyes. As I say, from my point of view...that could be sideways:eek: (My version of a joke.)

This is a beauiful rendition of someone whom, I hope, appreciates the feeling you you've put into your work.

Smoker

Spyderbabe
12-13-2007, 09:10 PM

Whats going on in the space beteen her hand and the midde of her neck? Skin? Hair? The dark line down the middle of her neck is harsh .... is the dark lne the shadow from her hand?

azipofwhisky
12-14-2007, 03:21 AM
Thanks for all the comments people. Initially I had some thoughts of just
halting this in the middle of the process, to let some of the roughness that is
a direct result from mixing all kinds of mediums linger.

One night I just grabbed a canvas (at home and not in my studio). I didn't
have any charcoal, so I used a ball ink pen instead. It turned out to be red. I
then used a blue one, the went over to ink pens and then over to a filt pen.

Initally it was pure black/white with touches of an ink sketch. I then brought
it down to where I usually do my oil paintings and applied one layer of oil
paint to give it a bit more depth and work some on the hair.

Initially I didn't see the shadow on her neck (that is the shadow cast from a
bright stage spot light, and hence is rather sharp) as something that made
her look morbid, but I kinda do now...

I will fix that. But I think I will let the primed canvas/red sketch/blue
sketch/ink and oil continue to exist in (dis)harmony. It is an experiment.
Myself; I think it adds something to the piece, since the whole process of
creating it is somewhat trackable.

But that might just be me :)

Again, thanks for all the feedback people!