GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sea Green Pavan
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 20 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The hand is in oil. Everything else is acrylic, with a few pencil touches. I like acrylic more than before -- the boat at lower right was easy to drawn, and is %100 acrylic.<br><br>The Pavan is a slow Renaissance dance, with the word "pavan" possibly being a corruption of the Italian word for peacock.<br><br>I know the instrument has 8 strings instead of 6 -- lutes and related instruments could have up to 20 strings (or thereabouts).<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My goal was to express the serious study which the Renaissance's music deserves. It seems strange to me that we can name Renaissance painters, scultors, and playwrights (da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Shakespeare), but few people can name a Renaissance musician.

luckylady
12-11-2007, 05:24 PM
I think what you have conveyed to the viewer is your knowledge and enjoyment of Renaissance music. By painting this as such, we gain a little more insight into who you are as an individual. I find this painting to be quite subjective and personal to you as the artist. With me being the viewer (and a musician as well), I do get the sense of yourself being the one who knows this music. This is a difficult painting to critique because of its subjectivity due to the comments you gave us. However, on a more technical note, may I suggest that you push back the orange color of the hand as it really jumps forward and appears to float, undetached to something. There's a real push/pull going on with the hand and the blue music cover. Remember, warm colors come forward while cool and duller ones recede. I believe you have a warm blue for the cover and this is also coming forward. I am presuming that the music is supposed to be the focal point. If so, then a bit of color adjustment to the hand should do it. By the way, I like the painting!