PDA

View Full Version : Decorative

La_
12-11-2007, 11:59 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2007/84648_decorative_schluck_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2007/84648_decorative_schluck_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2007/84648_decorative_schluck_3a.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Decorative
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: various
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
the first two are 9x11 oils, the third is acrylic 20x30<br><br>all of them, to me, look like something you'd find in walmart for under 30$

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
what's the difference between 'decorative' and 'decorative schluck'?

KreativeK
12-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Decorative would be art serving an ornamental purpose by artists versus the schluck may be mass produced at a factory or elsewhere with no personal intent, feelings, or design. I like all of these images by the way. :cat:

tony1
12-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Like, Like and Like. All three, nice La. The colors on the first one is/are my favorite but I can't stop seeing marshmallows roasting on sticks :).

Nice ones La.

luckylady
12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
I think you have some wonderful things going on here with these three works (pastel?). Color harmony in each one looks well balanced, the shapes are interesting and appealing. On the second one, I feel like I need to see another light shape to resolve the design....uneven numbers are more balanced than even numbers of shapes (I'm referring to the whiteish forms on the stalks). Otherwise, these definitely are NOT Wal-Mart art, not even close. I think you are a little hard on yourself. Just create what comes out of you....this is your current style of working!

Corby
12-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Too speak of decorative shluck or shlock art is according to the dictionary to speak of something that is shoddy or inferior. Whos sets the standard? I dont know. Some of the art referred to as shlock art is truly beautiful...it is the method of making it that creates an aura of substandard quality to it. La, your work could never fit into that catagory. Your spirit comes through everything you do. I really like especially the first and the third of these. To center attention on the third I can best make my point by a question. Why is it that I see one of your etherial ladies here..scattering yellow birds to the wind? After all Is she a lady or a tree? I am only surprised that there is not an apple in her branches.

LROMEL
12-11-2007, 11:44 PM
decorative shmuck? heh
do you mean muddy??
id suggest working on keeping your lights and darks distinguished
it looks like you didnt let your background dry completely when you were applying the yellow and whites? (refering mainly to first photo)
i think you could still acheive that sort of dewy impressionist look that seems like what you are aiming for..?
nothing it really defined so the background seems to fight with the foreground

La_
12-12-2007, 03:20 AM
Decorative would be art serving an ornamental purpose by artists versus the schluck may be mass produced at a factory or elsewhere with no personal intent, feelings, or design. I like all of these images by the way. :cat:

Thanks KreativeK, I like your definition, very appropriate

tony1, thanks, nice, nice and nice, but so simple, too simple, too quick, anticlimatic if you will ... campfire's always ready to go tho :cat:

luckylady, thanks (me an pastel don't play well together) ... thanks much for your thoughts

Mr. C.L.Magnuson, can i still call ya Corvus ? :D she's there i suppose, disguised, connected ... it is a sexy tree :angel: , an apple would have certainly pushed it to contrived? trees are oh so overdone but capture me none the less, perhaps i need(ed?) a break from bodies

LROMEL, i mean schluck, nonsense, pretty colors all in a row, churned out on an assembly line of one ... there's wet over dry and wet on wet, layers and colors and paint tossed about aimlessly ... there's cleaning of old pallet and breaking out of new ... there is no aiming ... there is no voice

Corby
12-12-2007, 12:15 PM
HILA! You can still call me Corvus! Actually as I am sure your dieing to know that is the Latinized form. The original Greek is Korvus. It means raven. I didn't realize the C.L. was going to sound so formal and stuffed shirtish!
By the way I don't think trees are overdone, the challenge is to make them your own, so go for it girl!

La_
12-12-2007, 11:32 PM
I will be a Raven one day Corvus, Incredible creature - almost impossible to photograph well. Don't worry the 'stuffy shirtish thing' i'm just pushin' yer buttons :p
Trees are way overdone here - everyon'es a landscape artist, which i haven't the patience for anymore, just trees in their simplest form, simple elegance, because they are so very elegant

la

La_
08-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Reworking schluck ... in hopes of eliminating marshmellows (nasty sticky things that they are!) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2008/84648-decorative_schluck_revived.jpg

la

Corby
08-20-2008, 03:01 PM
WOW I missed this addition. What a lovely lady! And this painting is absolutely gorgeous. No assembly line shlock/schluk here!

Gemini IX
08-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi La!

I think your art is very interesting! I love Schluck, This piece has so much to offer. Very cool!

La_
08-21-2008, 02:17 AM
thanks muches guys - she brought it up a level for me too = )

la