PDA

View Full Version : Dinghy in Peaceful Water

Penny Thompson
12-11-2007, 06:15 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2007/27735_green_dinghy_and_reflection.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dinghy in Peaceful Water
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 12 by 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I tried to capture the beauty of this green dinghy resting on its mooring. The calm waters and it's perfect reflection made me want to paint it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments on improving it or the composition?

toraman
12-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Beautiful. Adding a horizon or some kind of land piece may enhance the composition a bit.

tony1
12-11-2007, 08:17 AM
This is so beautiful. Great colors, and feel. You can sense the calmness, and how still everything is.

One minor criticism, and it may be my eyes, I don't "get" the rope/hardware reflection. I mean I don't see it. If the rope was straight on you might not see it, but it's off to the side. Again, I may just not be getting it. on the boat the hardware for the rope looks like it's more than halfway up from the water line. I don't see a corresponding reflection at that level. But again it may be me.

Really pretty. Nice sense of light too inside the boat. Good one.

thomas w
12-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Very nice. You definately captured a calm sense for this scene. The boat and the reflection are excellent. But, tony1 has a point about the rope and its reflection, if you could fix that it would be asbsolutely great.
Thomas W

Colorix
12-11-2007, 11:07 AM
You caught the light in a fabulous way. It reads very clearly as sunlight, with the yellows and slightly pinkish (I hope there is pink there... my eyes perceive it). Yellow, and other warm colours, are much better reps of sunshine than pure white is. The green compement really pops the red, and so does the grayed background.

Agree on the rope-reflection, ought to be there.

Angle is tricky, as you get only water the whole way from top to bottom. The pinkish under the gray in the upper half actually makes that part come forward. I know nothing about WC, but I imagine you could make that upper part recede with a blue wash. If the water lies flatter, and recedes, there may be no need for a horizon at all.

And the glow of the light is very very good.

Dana Design
12-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Very nice! I do agree about the reflection of the rope but nowhere does it say 'water'. Adding a very small ripple around the bottom of the boat on the water would be my choice.

luckylady
12-11-2007, 04:30 PM
I agree with the other posters. You need to have a little bit of an indication, perhaps at just the point where the rope enters the water, to signify the idea of water. Perhaps pull out some of the color to create a 'break-line' in the water/rope intersection....this might be all it needs! Good painting anyhow!

Corby
12-11-2007, 04:54 PM
I am totally blown away by your color choices and the way you have used them! While it is admirable to be able to paint what we see...sometimes the better course is still to alter it for the perceptions of others. here the boat almost has the tendency because of the unruffled perfection of its reflection to look like its resting on a giant lily pad. A beautiful skiff of ripples through the still serenity would better inform us and enhance the beauty. Great ability demonstrated here!

billmahler
12-11-2007, 08:14 PM
All of the above points make sense, but this is soooo good as it is.

At first glimpse I saw a water lily, then of a child's boat in a still pool, and then after while I thought of these lines from Coleridge's Rime of the The Ancient Mariner:

"Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion ;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean."

That's quite a bit of provoking for one picture.

I'd frame this one as is and then if you'd like start another like it and add some realistic touches.

creodont
12-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Well made and excellent use of color. As it is it works out well.....john

allanom
12-11-2007, 11:04 PM
The boat is excellent -- beautiful realism, however the water surface looks more like wet pavement and disappoints as a result. Because the boat appears to be in strong sunlight, it seems counter-intuitive to have a flat grey water surface. If it had been painted as some kind of realistic reflected sky colour, the piece would be much more effective, IMHO.

artforprofits.com
12-12-2007, 12:52 AM
wow, the shadows and reflections in this work are just fantastic and the realism is awesome. I would like to see a little more detail in the water though as it is a little flat.