PDA

View Full Version : Central Australia

MicDrink
12-11-2007, 01:17 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2007/108026_FRAMED_012.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-11-2007/108026_FRAMED_011.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Central Australia
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Other
Dimension: 30cm x 20cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painted on and cut out of a piece of particle board covered in Plastic showing an imitation wood veneer

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
does this sort of thing 'work' , Its enjoyable 2 do and I (perhaps me alone ) like the result , The figures (aboridginal aussies) are copied from a book of water color paintings by an australian guy called Bothelo in the 30's

creodont
12-11-2007, 01:40 AM
dreamland I wanna go on a walk about. The plastic or the mixed media contrast a lot in the sky. but the effect is very interesting and a neat pattern. the imitation wood works well on the cliffs. The starkness of the land is strongly felt................good work john

thomas w
12-11-2007, 10:13 AM
As long as it keeps you active and happy that is all that matters. Those two look very patient out there in the plains. Good Work.
Thomas W

Colorix
12-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi Mic, good painting you have there. I know precious little about the aborigins of Australia, as I'm as far away from it as is possible on this earth. So I can only comment on the painting, and express how I feel about it.

The landscape is painted in rather flat colour, meaning that it doesn not recede in space. If it is a style, it is fine, especially since the grain of the surface is visible and adds variety and interest. Personally, I like strong, pure colours.

Figures are well placed in the composition, and their poses are very different from each others -- good! Any human in a painting will attract the attention immediately.

I'd recommend that you soften the transition between the blue area and the peach midground, that'd let the eye slide effortlessly over it, and create depth, without changing the simpicity of the painting. ("Simplicity" in this case is a good word, a compliment.)

The general sense this painting makes to my very western eye is of "the dawn of mankind discovering the world" , but also of mankind being a part of it. It is also of what I perceive as a free people, from the time before the colonization, not owning the land, but being of the land and in the land.

Well, my thoughts, for what they are worth. I think the painting is evocative, and fine.

MicDrink
12-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Dear People , Thank u 4 your comments , We seem 2 live in a throw-away society here in Sydney and I have quite a collection of fairly large pieces of this 'vaneered' particle board which i dilligently collect from council cleanups or/and find abandoned in the streets. My webcam is of the cheepest variety and the detail of the 'wood' grains doent show upvery well in the thumbnails
The horizontal graining does give a receeding perspective 2 the landscape but i will thy 4 a few more 'signals' in my next effort
the main problem is finding a paint which will 'stick' 2 the board without puddling , White Knight makes a water based acrylic which seems 2 work
I have a few more uncompleted panels so I will post these later and look forward 2 your comments
All the very best 2 u and yours 4 the festive season
God bless , Michael

MicDrink
12-30-2007, 11:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2007/108026-FRAMED_022.jpg

The further travels of Talladoonyana and Millalalli

'Blue Moon'

tgsloth
12-31-2007, 08:37 AM
Producing a series is always a great way to improve a stand alone piece. With your strengths and weaknesses shown in the first piece, keep going.