PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Dec. 10 - Dec. 16

Pat Isaac
12-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Good morning everyone,

We had a nice ice storm overnight, everything is dripping ice. The roads are fine though. I am feeling quite good now and hope that the doctor will give me a clean bill of health when I go back next week.
I hope to get up some decorations today and other preparations done so I can get to my studio this week.

So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

LJW
12-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Glad you're feeling better, Pat. I used to think ice storms made everything look so pretty until we had the big one 10 years ago that destroyed trees, took down power lines, and brought massive disruption to Ottawa. We shivered in the cold for two days in below zero F. temperatures before we got our power back. Ever since then I cringe when I hear freezing rain is on the way. Jane

Pat Isaac
12-10-2007, 10:00 AM
It's true that ice storms can be very destructive and we have had a few big ones. This one is just icy and as the temps rise will soon melt.
I remember the reports of that one in Ottawa.

Pat

wabbitt
12-10-2007, 01:55 PM
G'morning y'all. Your mention of ice storms reminded me of my first one in Texas. Yes it was beautiful, and yes it brought big tree limbs down. Then I realized I didn't own any real winter clothes. I called in chicken (as opposed to calling in sick), "I am not driving in this stuff. I'll be in when the roads clear."

My final portfolio is due Thursday. I spent the weekend sorting out my drawings and working on my self-portrait, which we were allowed to do in any medium. I chose oil pastels (yay!). And I discovered my favorite support: 140# Arches hot press with a single thin layer of gesso for more tooth. I didn't stretch the paper, either, when I did the gesso, and it only curled a tiny bit at the edges where I didn't gesso.

After successfully wiping off my mouth (q-tip w/ OMS) I decided to rework my eyes too. It was SOOO easy! At one point I overblended the fleshy areas of the face and it looked too dark. It only took a rag (without OMS) to remove highlights and then it was perfect! The painting, however, though it's an improvement over the one we did in our first assignment, has a much closer resemblance but it's still "not me." I actually hate pictures of me, but I'll get up the courage to post it.

BTW, I made improvements on my friend's portrait and posted it to the original thread in the Portraiture Forum. Gave it to her this morning (it's her birthday) and she loves it.

Pat Isaac
12-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Glad all your work is ready for the final, Julie. Nice to hear that you have found a support tat you like and I'm happy that your friend loved the portrait.
I'l go over and take a peek.I have not ventured out on the ice today, didn't melt. I am now putting up window lights.

Pat

LJW
12-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Julie, good luck with your portfolio. I'm glad that your friend liked her portrait. Jane

Bars
12-11-2007, 02:30 AM
:cat: Hi Pat and everyone, thought I'd pop in and say hello. Talking about ice storms, I don't think I like the sound of that. I live near Mt Ruapehu, we get plenty of snow on the mountain, down where I live maybe two or three dumps a season. Thank goodness no ice storms. In the SouthIsland,
they get hoar frost, very pretty. N.Z is a good place to live, but I think the whole world is now experiencing abnormal weather.

I am hoping Santa will bring me some oil pastel pencils, if he can fing his way down to the bottom of the world. What do you think:D regards Bars

Pat Isaac
12-11-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm sure Santa can find his way there, he knows everywhere doesn't he? :lol:
I have heard that the hoar frost is very beautiful and I've seen pictures of it.

Off to do a little shopping today.

Pat

Bars
12-12-2007, 01:45 AM
I was watching the news tonight and they showed the results of the ice storms . Keep safe everybody. Bars

MadMaddy
12-12-2007, 09:05 AM
I haven't been on this forum in a while, had some non-op commisions to finish and just about done, but reading about ice storms....well, I am in Iowa and it is mess here. we have about 1/3 or our power in our house now as an icy limb fell yesterday and pulled our a section of wiring, also last night as i was climbing in bed about half our big maple tree in the front yard hit the roof of my bedroom. enough to scare me good but no damage to the house. very regretful about the tree though as i have always loved it.

otherwise about 22,000 people here in our county have lost power and it could be a couple of days before it is all restored. but despite all that, it is beautful to see all the trees and bushes covered in ice. especially at night. it has made me wonder how to achieve that on paper or canvas as it truly is a site to see in the moonlight.

hope all are feeling well and in okay shape no matter the crazy weather.

Pat Isaac
12-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Actually the storms out west are worse than here. The ice wasn't as thick and there were no power outages. It was beautiful in the sunlight. The temperature rose last night so it is all gone, but we are waiting on more snow coming in.
Congrats on your commissions and hope to see some more of your beautiful OPs soon.

Pat

Bars
12-14-2007, 02:18 AM
Just curiouse. Pat why is this forum called the Oil Gusher? Bars

Pat Isaac
12-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Well, it was kind of a take off on a talk thread. Each forum has a talk thread where they post just general every day to day events and it gives us all a chance to get to know each other. This forum has to do with oils so I guess it was decided that that was a good name for the talk thread. Gushing referring to talk, I think. It is the "scumble" in the pastel thread.

Pat

LJW
12-16-2007, 10:10 AM
We're in the middle of a really big snow storm - we could get 15-20 inches before we're done. Shovelling the snow every few hours will probably be necessary. It started last night and won't let up until tomorrow afternoon. We're staying in and hoping the power doesn't go off. Jane

Pat Isaac
12-16-2007, 10:16 AM
That's a lot of snow, Jane. Stay in. We are having a Nor'easter here, but the snow has changed to sleet and freezing rain. Cuts down the snow amounts, but makes it very hard to shovel and move. The winds are very strong also, so hopefully we won't lose power either. Two days ago we had a foot of snow, light and fluffy.

Pat

AnnieA
12-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Pat: I'm very glad to hear that you're feeling better.

I hope the ice storms are over for the NE people, but I have to report that we're having a new fierce storm move through here today in the NW, so another one's coming. :(

Julie: Congrats on getting that portfolio done! I think Wendy frequently uses watercolor paper with a sanded primer - since a similar approach seems to be working well for you, maybe I'll have to try it myself. It's great that you've found a support you really like - the support can make such a difference. I'm happy to hear that your friend like the portrait you did. I'll be looking forward to your post of your self-portrait.

Bars: Let us know if your favorite Santa does find you and brings you your oil pencils for Christmas. :)

Lara: How sad about that tree, but glad to hear that there wasn't any damage. Hope you are OK and that the storm has now abated. I hope you'll try a piece showing the snow/ice - sounds interesting and it can indeed be very beautiful, especially at night.

I visited the endodontist yesterday to have a root canal repaired that was never done properly in the first place. I'm not very good on dentist's visits - I get very anxious, but I meditated in the chair and that helped. Whew - the experience wiped me out and I fell asleep for several hours not long after I arrived home. This endodontist was excellent and I think he did a very good job, so I'm relieved to have that over. I'm still feeling exhausted though, and probably out of commission for a few days, so I guess I'll be sending a copy of my Palace of Fine Arts color study as the present rather than the actual finished painting, as I doubt I'll be able to even finish it before Christmas. :sigh: Oh well. It's the thought that counts, right?

I hope everyone is enjoying this holiday season! A belated Hanukkah wish to those who celebrate it. And best wishes at Eid al-Adha tomorrow for those who celebrate that holiday. It's so hard to believe that Christmas is less than a week away. Where did this year go???

LJW
12-19-2007, 10:57 AM
This winter seems to be bringing more storms than last year. Hope everyone stays safe over the holidays.

Annie, sorry to hear about your tooth. A few days of rest sounds like a good idea. Your painting of the Palace of Fine Arts is beautiful - in my mind, not a sketch really at all, except that you intended to do a larger piece. I'm sure the recipient will be delighted to receive it as a Christmas gift. Jane

Pat Isaac
12-19-2007, 02:08 PM
:eek: Annie. A root canal. I hope you are feeling better now. This is last's weeks gusher, Annie, maybe you could post in the new one for the rest of the week. I'm sure they will love the copy and eagerly await the painting. Take care.

Pat