PDA

View Full Version : Mare Vaporum (Sea of Vapors)

ThurmanHubbard
12-09-2007, 04:41 PM
This might still be a WIP. I've been looking at it for a couple weeks now and can't really decide on what, if anything, to do next. What think ye fine folks? Should I put this one to bed and move on?

18" x 24" acrylic on canvas

There are some wavy, sort of horizontal, sort of diagonal lines visible on the right side and lower portion of this image after I reduced it. The large image this comes from doesn't have this problem. Not sure what causes this.:confused: Anyway, try to imagine it without them. They look kind of like fingerprint grooves. Sorry for the poor image.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2007/124577-HPIM1998.JPG

Better image here (http://www.geocities.com/thurmanhubbard/MareVaporum.jpg)

Lynxes123
12-09-2007, 06:47 PM
I think the green trees look wonderful in the bottom and I don't know else you could do to this because it looks great already!! :clap: I've had that moire pattern come up in my photos before and I thought maybe the texture of the canvas or compressing the pixels too small caused it but I'm not sure.

marybe
12-10-2007, 01:30 AM
I like it, only sugestion a small touch of red somewhere else in the picture, it will help pull you eyes around it more.

Smileawhyl
12-10-2007, 10:43 AM
This just isn't my cup of tea. I find it difficult to put primary colors together and make a piece work. Mondrian did it well. For me, there are too many things working in this piece from the muted whispers of the green "U's" in the blue, to the scratchy static motion playing over them, to the wavy to the raw blending of primary into primary which looks artificial behind the more fluid strokes of the bird. The muted green "U's" in the blue works for me though.

I realize you are just getting back into painting and the desire to create should always be honored, so I hope to see more pieces from you as you continue to reestablish this relationship to expression with a renewed passion and vigor.

janet7k
12-10-2007, 06:06 PM
I think the red is too dominant too be so isolated (or should I say too isolated to be so dominant....it's a nice start though.

KimRF
12-11-2007, 09:10 AM
I think you have done a nice job with this piece and I do like it. The suggestions about the red are valid, I agree. But also, I think it depends on what you wanted from the piece. Balancing out the red with some placed elsewhere on the piece would clearly be beneficial, however maybe your intention is for that part of the painting to grab the eye and hold it there for a longer time.

ThurmanHubbard
12-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'll put a bit more thought into it and see what I come up with. Every time I looked at it it just seemed kind of unfinished to me and now I have some idea of which way to look for resolution. I'll post a follow up image here when I get the next step done. Thanks again.