PDA

View Full Version : 4th Painting

Smoker
12-09-2007, 02:58 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-09-2007/117886_4th_picture.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 4th Painting
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my 4th painting. The sky is a total loss. I painted it and let it dry. After painting the rest of the picture, I noticed that there were little white spots where the paint didn't get into the crevices. So I attempted to blend the same shade of blue and didn't get it right.<br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Aside from the sky are there any suggestions that anyone can offer that will help me. I'm new at all this but have been trying very hard. <br><br>I can't seem to get the snow right along the building or the vehicle also along the tree line.<br><br>Any other suggestions will me most appreciated.<br><br>Smoker

Dana Design
12-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm assuming this is early evening, correct? When the sun is going down?

If that's the case, perhaps you could add just a bit more light to the top right of the barn roof and also place a shadow to the left of the barn on the snow.

I also don't think that the sky is that bad. You could always scumble (drag a brush with light blue paint over the dry dark blue) some lighter blue along the darkest parts of the sky.

Don't be discouraged. Just keep on painting.

Smoker
12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks Dana,:thumbsup:

Yes, you're right the time of day is early sunset.

Does the picture need something else? It seems so empty!

I'm not discouraged...just frustrated. Unless someone says, look dummy don't do that - do this, how will I ever learn how to do it right. I don't like learning from my mistakes as much as I like learning from someone elses mistakes. I learned a long time ago to take advice when it's offered, if the person giving the advice can be trusted.

That's why I started to come to the Wet Canvas forum. I have learned so much form people like yourself.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Smoker

Dana Design
12-10-2007, 02:41 PM
You don't need to cover every square inch of canvas with something happening. I don't mind the blank space at all. It gives a feeling of very cold desolation, the empty expanses work, as well as that old 'woody' sitting abandoned.

remember that if you're going to add any shadows, they need to be consistent across the board. The shadows would fall away from the barn, the car, the isolated tree stump and the shrubs in the distance.

I would have moved the stump a little to the left and more to the foreground. But that's me.

Smoker
12-11-2007, 05:42 AM
Thanks Dana,

This painting is a composition of a few photos. I wanted to paint that cold, lonely place that everyone knows about and no one wants to visit.

I started out with shadows but painted most of them out. I changed their location a couple times and just couldn't get them to work...so I stopped. Your right, having the shadows all going in the same direction and their length equal to their size would have made a big difference.

Thanks again Dana

Smoker

mariahrt
12-11-2007, 03:34 PM
It is a nice painting. I found something that worked for me while doing a piece. I had painted the entire pic as you have done and felt that same emptiness. I added an old wooden fence and it really brightened the painting. Hope this helps. It is okay to have the openess though as well. But I feel where you are coming from.

luckylady
12-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I think you are doing well at creating the mood here of abandonment and emptiness. However, I would suggest that you take out the fence-post on the right side. It does not add anything to the scene at all, and it also creates a straight line from one element to the other - the post to the vehicle, then to the house, etc. The large area that would be more open if the post were removed further adds to the mood you are displaying. Also, I don't think you need to be concerned about the snow...it is fine, but you might add some shadows across the snow. Decide where your light source is coming from and then make your shadows in purple/blue colors. See what happens if you do this. Another point to consider is, how close are the background trees? Things get more greyer/foggy/duller in color as they move further away from you. Things that are closer to the viewer are more colorful and clear with detail.

MRSBB
12-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Hi Smoker.........I love your painting, old cars, barns ,houses are right up my alley. Love the old woody. I think everyone above has given you good tips on shadowing and taking out the post,or adding a fence. I was told if I add a fence it usually should be with an opening to invite the viewer into the painting. If this were my barn I would add some lines to indicate barn wood and then I would go in and highlight the right front side. I like the snow you put on the roof, maybe add a touch to the window sill on the barn, Maybe a touch on the woody. Then follow thru on the shadowing tips also. Think this will be a nice one.....Keep having fun..........Lenore