PDA

View Full Version : December Morning

Tom Christopher
12-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Hello.. painted this from a photo just after the sun had risen--pastel on board 24x30 inches -- comments welcome... thanks tom

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2007/35607-Snowy_creek_001.jpg

water girl
12-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, I was freezing here in San Diego (in the 50's today), but after looking at this exquisite piece of yours, I realize that you might be a bit colder. This is just amazing... You always find a way to punch in some color, even in the dead of winter! :thumbsup:

palettetalk
12-08-2007, 09:21 PM
GORGEOUS!!!...I can feel the snow crunching underfoot and the cold air in my lungs!
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Susan

mrking
12-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I really love your work!!!!!! Feel like coming up to BC to give a workshop? :)

Tom Christopher
12-08-2007, 10:05 PM
I really love your work!!!!!! Feel like coming up to BC to give a workshop? :)

Thanks for the invite--I am finally going to take some extended time off work this summer to travel and paint.I don't know which direction I will be heading but if I make to your area I'll let you know...Tom

rhapsodyerin
12-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Such a beautifully done painting. I can feel the cold snow and know my hands will freeze if I put them in the water. The purple shadows are my favorite, but I also enjoy the colors in the trees. It is just a wonderful painting.:thumbsup:

David Patterson
12-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Amazing work Tom!!

David

BabyBeeb
12-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Gosh! This is so beautiful!

Jancee
12-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Once again I have to close my mouth. It keeps falling open when I see your newest post. Tell me there is a book in your future...or that you are coming to Southern California next year...

mrking
12-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the invite--I am finally going to take some extended time off work this summer to travel and paint.I don't know which direction I will be heading but if I make to your area I'll let you know...Tom

http://www.mediumdreams.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/crossed-fingers.thumbnail.jpg

Mary Brigid
12-09-2007, 07:01 AM
How about traveling to Ireland Tom..... Unfortunatly we have no snow though...
Mary Brigid

cal studio
12-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Your snow scenes are my favorites!!! I usually do not like winter or their landscapes- but I have taken to yours in a big way!!
Wonderful

Cathleen

pastellar
12-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Magnificent!!!

Diane

PaulaT
12-09-2007, 08:28 AM
beautiful!!!! You could always head up north to WI and come teach me how to pastel like you Paula

Colorix
12-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Jaw is bruised black and blue, from dropping so regularly at the sight of your paintings! There is lots and lots of wonderful snow-scenes in Sweden, you know... perfect place for you to paint and do a workshop and teach! Really friendly natives, too, and all speak excellent English. :-) No, not trying to entice you, not at all, wouldn't cross my mind.... Oh, not as cold as Canada or Alaska, either. :-) And if you go up north in summer, why, you can paint 24/7, as sun doesn't set. :-)

Anyway, I really love the way you render snow, with those clear blue shadows, and the warmth of the muted oranges and reds in the trees. Wonderful and excellent!

Dot Hoffman
12-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Tom, every one of your paintings is jaw-dropping beautiful, and this one is no exception! I love your work!

Donna T
12-09-2007, 10:58 AM
This is so beautiful, Tom. I notice that you kept the trees kind of vague in the distance so all the focus is on that stream. I wish I could remember to do that and not feel obligated to paint every part of every tree!

Donna T

Tom Christopher
12-09-2007, 11:11 AM
This is so beautiful, Tom. I notice that you kept the trees kind of vague in the distance so all the focus is on that stream. I wish I could remember to do that and not feel obligated to paint every part of every tree!

Donna T

HI Donna--good point you made here- My focus was on the stream and the pieces of light that lit the branches and weeds . Another bit of information is the use of reference photos. I typically take 10 to 20 photos of the same scene from different angles to capture the light and composition. I wasn't really able to do this until digital cameras came in to play--just something else to consider that has been helpful to me. Thanks Tom

AliciaS
12-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Tom, when i see that you've posted something i can't wait to see what it is!! i think you are one of my favorite landscape painters!! they just glow!!when i start landscapes i would love to take a class from you too!! they are just beautiful!!

Donna T
12-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the tip about taking photos, Tom. I've never taken that many of one scene but now I can see where it would be useful. We can always add a tree or some element to a scene but without the correct lighting it looks out of place. I have lots of reference photos but usually the light is coming from the opposite direction of what I need :rolleyes: .

Donna

Thom Byrd
12-09-2007, 12:11 PM
:thumbsup: i have walked up this creek...in all seasons... :clap: :clap: :clap: great work... :wave:

JWebber
12-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Hey Tom, if you do decide to come to visit Michael's and my area, my husband is a gourmet cook and we have a bed and bath just waiting for you, come on up!

amandanator
12-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I want to hang out in your winters! Ours always seem gray and gloomy. :)

Another wonderful painting.

Mandy

chewie
12-10-2007, 12:01 AM
now this one makes my heart skip, wonderful play on the snow!!

what color was your board? did you underpaint?

Tracer
12-10-2007, 02:36 AM
Absolutely breathtaking!

Tracy

Tom Christopher
12-10-2007, 09:08 AM
now this one makes my heart skip, wonderful play on the snow!!

what color was your board? did you underpaint?

\
Hello Chewie--This was painted on a gessoed white board with Golden pastel ground applied. No underpainting on this one --Tom

meowmeow
12-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Wonderful! Cold yet inviting. I love the shadows and the way the stream takes you back into the woods.

Sandy

Orchidacea
12-10-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure how many times I've said, "this is my favorite of your work so far," but I'm going to say it again. It's my favorite. Just gorgeous, Tom.

tsumeb
12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Fantastic snow scene, Tom. Your color and texture is incredibly believable and well executed. I do wonder a little about those vibrant golds in the composition. I think the warms are a bit intense and stop the treeline from receding. The blue shadows on the left push the eye to the distance, but I'm wondering if the gold doesn't bring you back forward. I love the bright blue spot in the far distance but it took me a while to get there (if you know what I mean).

The reds on the right are warm, but give the illusion of distance. The purple shadows are terrific.

It is a beautiful piece, but I thought I'd throw my two-cents in.

David

boarsrock
12-10-2007, 06:15 PM
A very nice work.

Tatijana
12-11-2007, 10:44 AM
just beautiful!
t

Mike_Beeman
12-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Tom
exceptional piece!

Geoff
12-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Absolutely wonderful.

Any chance of seeing the reference photo - purely just to gain some insight into your process of adjusting real life into an emotive piece like this - and for me to learn.

mississhippi
12-13-2007, 03:24 AM
Hi Tom,
This is so beautiful. I love the spindly look to the trees and the colours you have used for them. And the shadows on the snow are lovely.