PDA

View Full Version : Lillies - Need background help

WaitingforJesus
12-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Hello everyone:wave:

I am one of the those lurkers who faithfully read and soak up all the information everyone shares, and actually produce a painting a couple of times a year worth posting.

Here is one I am not done with yet but thought I would post what I have so far and I would like ideas on a background color. These colors are pretty much as they are IRL.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2007/33494-dustylillies3.jpg
Here is the link the the ref pic in the RIL by Madmumhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=62450&cat=556

As you can see from the ref picture there is a satin background, would this color still be okay with the background or any other ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Kay

gemineye
12-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Well...you're likely to get a variety of opinions here...some prefer a background...some don't. I am of the 'no background' type...and I think that you have done such a beautiful job on these lilies, and the leaves, that they could stand alone. A few more darks...maybe some splatter for the centers (I like splatter :) ) to add interest and texture.
This is quite beautiful...let's see what the others suggest!

WaitingforJesus
12-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks Tracy for your input...
As I mentioned I have not quite finished the flowers ( haven't gotten to the spots in the centers) was trying to get background ideas in order to get a good feeling of how far I needed to take the values in the rest of the flower petals.

Okay 1 vote for no background!

Thanks again!
Kay

RTi
12-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Beautiful job on the Lillies. I vote no - at this point. It is hard to see the white paper on line. I think the BG needed to go in first because the clarity of petals might become fuzzy. Next time you might want to start with a light green BG first leaving the petals negative so the whites will shine thru.

darsart
12-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Interesting question - I always struggle over backgrounds also. In this case, I think a very light wash of pale green would work well, maybe with some slightly darker 'shadow' leaves as well. Great work on the lilies.

ranunkel
12-10-2007, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't paint a background I think the flower a beautiful as they are!

KreativeK
12-10-2007, 08:53 AM
:thumbsup: Good job here!
The bg would depend upon if you want it as an interior scene or out in the garden. Use the satin if interior and an impressionistic rendering if not. If you choose to color it, I'd use warm yellows, greens and browns with touches of your flower color. Or just leave as it is. I often leave white of the paper for the bg.:clap:

CharM
12-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I love to paint florals... and most of the time, I paint my backgrounds last... it's rare that I find it necessary to establish my overall values by blocking in the background during the beginning stages.

That said... you could do a very washy background of leaves and blooms, just suggesting a garden setting... you could paint in a sky setting that changes the perspective... or you could paint the drapery...

You have a lot of options and as the artist, it's your decision... your background finishes your work... it creates the *whole* picture...

You have a GREAT start... keep going... and post your next steps... :clap:

Laura D
12-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I vote for a background, very soft and mottled, including yellows to suggest light but some dark valuess and definately some blues in there too... there's a lot of potential for eye-grabbing drama here.