PDA

View Full Version : Help! & Help! WIP

JudiPatooti
12-07-2007, 01:10 PM
To take a break from Christmas preparations now and then I've been working on this painting of my neighbor's palm fronds. I have two questions that I'd really, really like opinions on.

1.) Do you think it looks better in the first post, uncropped, or in the second version which is cropped to draw attention to the two most top interlacing fronds?

2.) Do you think it would improve the painting if I paint in a solid "Florida Blue" sky in the background rather than leaving the background white, as it is now?

Thanks so much for looking in and thanks soooooo much for your help!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2007/108478-sFranks_Fronds_Large_Crop

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2007/108478-sFranks_Fronds_Narrow_Crop

:) Judi

Roun2it
12-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Oh I wouldn't have used a white background ...................:lol:

Only kidding looking good to me, keep it white plesae.

As for the crop, well the second one give more drama, and has lots of activity, but the uncropped version has areas for my eye to rest and therefore I can stay a while loger and take in the beautiful work. So for me it is #1. But I hate cropping anyway:lol:

juneto
12-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Yes, I agree , keep the White !
It has an Airy ,Warm weather look ! As pattern , design it will look better on the Wall Too . Just MHO .
June :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

happypaddler
12-07-2007, 03:07 PM
I am tempted to say paint the background just to see you squirm a bit.

Seriously I think white background uncropped is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

juneto
12-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Yes, I agree , keep the White !
It has an Airy ,Warm weather look ! As pattern , design it will look better on the Wall Too . Just MHO .
June :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JudiPatooti
12-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Hi All, Thanks for your opinions so far. I see a white background and using the full size of the painting seems to be winning, hands down, so far. And, I was leaning towards the exact opposite on both issues--think I've really got a dilemma on my hands now! I'm posting two more images here where I've added the blue background by using photoshop. If anyone else peeks into this thread, what do you think? Opinions GREATLY appreciated!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2007/108478-sFranks_Fronds_Large_Crop__Blue

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2007/108478-sFranks_Fronds_Narrow_Crop__Blue

Thanks so much for looking in....

Judi

painterbear
12-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Judi,
I guess I'm odd-woman out. I like the cropped version with the blue sky best. :D

Sylvia

Violetta
12-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Judi - I too like the cropped version best but I'd like a lighter blue background, pale, pale blue sky.

Lovely work!

wcartistsr
12-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, I vote for the uncropped. IMO in the cropped version those dark vertical fronds become dominant and cut the painting.

As to the background, I prefer the white over the blue, but that being said, I feel that a lighter blue, or a graded blue in the sky, darker toward the top to almost white at the bottom, would work.

Shirley

mhimeswc
12-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Uncropped and white!

I think the bright blue competes too much with the palms, and the palms really sing against the white.

Michelle

laudesan
12-09-2007, 01:59 AM
Uncropped and white for me too.

JJ

hpthecat
12-09-2007, 02:39 AM
Oh NO NO! Go with Uncropped and White.....:thumbsup:

bluegenes
12-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I kinda like the blue, but it would be difficult at this point to get such an even wash, so I say stick to white! :thumbsup:
I also kinda like the crop, but whatever you decide....both versions are great!

Patty

CharM
12-09-2007, 10:04 AM
I love the clean contrast of white and green... it's classic...
and I prefer the uncropped version...

You're finished... sign it... frame it... :clap:

Scene Chaser
12-09-2007, 11:53 AM
The cropped white is the best design. Blue is great, but I sure wouldn't want to try that at this stage. Bill

JudiPatooti
12-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Thank you all for looking in and thank you most of all for your input. With my apologies I went against the tide. I wound up painting the background blue, but still haven't decided on the cropping issue. I'll be posting both finished versions tomorrow morning in the Watercolor Gallery.

Thank you all so very much, again.

Judi

darsart
12-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Loved reading everyone's opinions on this beautiful painting. That's what's so great about art, everyone has a different take on things. I would vote for a bit of blue in the background, but very light. I'm torn between the full painting and the cropped version, so I guess I'd say go with the full size. Looking forward to seeing how you complete this:)

RASchutter
12-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I think the sky color takes away from the fronds, it darkens them and competes. The white full picture is much more airy and the greens set each other off. IMO

ranunkel
12-13-2007, 04:26 PM
I would also go for the croped version.

Touch of Color
12-14-2007, 01:56 AM
I like the uncropped with the blue sky best.
Linda

olliewood0702
12-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Uncropped AND WHITE!!! SUPER......classic and clean!

loralee55
12-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Judi,
I'll put my 50 cents in(inflation you know):) i would say white and cropped. All that matters is your opinion anyway. Your piece is marvilous,
loralee

Peggy SCx
12-17-2007, 01:57 AM
I liked both versions. My instincts would have been to go for a pink sky on the uncropped version, go figure. I look forward to seeing how you resolved it.