PDA

View Full Version : Clean Tortilions ??

marsias
12-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Hello.

Is the a way to clean the Tortilions?

I have try to clean them with water and/or Turpetine but this method seems not to work.

thanks.

Pat Isaac
12-07-2007, 09:57 AM
The only way I have ever cleaned them was to rub them across a sandpaper block. I also have just wiped them off with a paper towel until no more color comes off. I try to use them by color, one for dark, one for white, etc. When they get really dirty, I throw them away. They are really pretty cheap. I recently have found that I like the color shapers better and they are easy to clean.

Pat

LJW
12-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I don't use tortillions, although I bought a few to try. I much prefer the colour shapers as they are very easy to clean by wiping with a paper towel. Jane

marsias
12-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Hello .

Thanks for the answers.

Which Colour Sharpers are recommented?

I have see many sizes and grades:confused:

Thanks.

LJW
12-07-2007, 10:51 AM
It's best to get the darker grey Firm colour shapers from Royal Soverign, as they will move the OPs around - the light grey aren't strong enough. I have a #2, #6 and #10 Flat Chisel. Given the relatively small sized paintings I do, I use the #6 the most, followed by the #2. I find the Flat Chisel shape the most versatile as you can use the flat side to move the OPs around for blending and the corners to push the OPs into small areas. Jane

Pat Isaac
12-07-2007, 10:58 AM
That's what I use too. I bought a set of 5 on sale, but I use the larger ones and mostly the flat chisel shape, also the pointed one for fine details.

Pat

Pandemonium
12-07-2007, 05:19 PM
I like the Kemper "Wipe Out Tool" better than the Royal sovereign Extra Firm Clay Shapers, as it is much more firm. Even the dark grey clay shapers aren't firm enough for me. I think that the "Paint Eraser" is equivalent to the Kemper WOT. Even though it only comes in a large size, it is the angled chisel, so it can fit into small areas. The other end is a point which I find much less useful.

I clean it readily by stuffing a cottonball soaked in orange terpene into a small plastic snap-lid jar. Whenever I need to clean, I simply pop open the jar and pass the blade across the ball. It also can moisten the blade with terpene for blending. If I don't want terpene on the blade, I simply pass it over paper towel or wait a moment for it to dry. I keep two jars, one for warm colors and the other for cool.