PDA

View Full Version : How did I do?

ArtyHelen
06-12-2002, 03:10 PM
This is my first home-stretched canvas. Is it a total mess? LOL! Does it look like I did it right? Anything I could do better next time?

I bought the stretcher bars, and the little key things came with them - did I put them in right?

I actually used calico instead of canvas, and I've gessoed it, two coats.

The front looks really smooth and I'm looking forward to painting on it (especially as I've only used canvas boards in the past.) But the back is a bit of a mess!

Helen

ArtyHelen
06-12-2002, 03:13 PM
Hee hee! It might help if I show you the pic!! :D

Helen

Wayne Gaudon
06-13-2002, 07:54 AM
Don't paint on the back .. :D

Really, I used to stretch my own when I had the space but I don't now so I am putting canvas on masonite board using Elmer's glue. I like the board as it's a lot less space for storage. Once touch dry I can just add it to the box.
It looks fine and the back is usually coverd with a dust prevention paper so it's not even a thought. Depending on how you paint you may like the canvas over board as it has a completely different feel. It has bounce where the board doesn't. Hope you get off a good piece on your first canvas,

....oops, your first calico .

orchidlover6
06-13-2002, 05:06 PM
nice corners.

was it hard to do?

mf.sutton
06-19-2002, 12:11 PM
I have never done this, what you have done looks good, I also would like to know if it is hard to do, maybe you could give us a blow by blow detailed account of how to do it.

mike

ArtyHelen
06-20-2002, 07:15 AM
Thanx Wayne, I will try to remember to paint on the right side! :D

Orchid, it was a lot easier than I had expected it to be! I thought I would have all kinds of problems with the canvas rucking up and not being smooth or taut enough. The hardest thing for me was using the staple gun I bought for this purpose! The corners were easier, as I could rest the gun along a whole bar, but I couldn't do that along the sides, so it was hard to get the force it needed, and made my hands ache a bit.

Mike, I just followed the instructions at Nancy Doyle's site. (http://www.ndoylefineart.com/stretchcan.html) I found them very easy to follow, except perhaps for how to do the corners, so I kind of found my own way round that bit, which could have been written in more detail. Also, I didn't put staples in the thin edge of the bars, just at the back, as I might want to paint round the sides, like they do with 'gallery-wrapped' canvasses. I didn't use canvas pliers either - I feel I wouldn't have enough fingers if I tried to use them as well!

I would recommend trying this to everyone, because it really isn't as hard as you imagine!

About the poll, I am surprised that so many people use store-bought stretched canvas! I guess you are all richer than me! :D

Thanx all, I'll let you know when I get round to painting on this!

Helen

Carrie
06-21-2002, 04:17 AM
I think it looks like a right professional job you did on the canvas stretch. I don't use as many staples as you have. When art work comes in the shop frequently the canvas already has a finished painting . Most of the time then we just go for taught not tight so the paint won't bend and crack at the edge of the bars. You did very well with yours .
Carrie

ArtyHelen
06-21-2002, 04:28 AM
Thank you, Carrie! And congratulations on your 100th post ! :)

Helen

mf.sutton
06-21-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by ArtyHelen
Thanx Wayne, I will try to remember to paint on the right side! :D

Orchid, it was a lot easier than I had expected it to be! I thought I would have all kinds of problems with the canvas rucking up and not being smooth or taut enough. The hardest thing for me was using the staple gun I bought for this purpose! The corners were easier, as I could rest the gun along a whole bar, but I couldn't do that along the sides, so it was hard to get the force it needed, and made my hands ache a bit.

Mike, I just followed the instructions at Nancy Doyle's site. (http://www.ndoylefineart.com/stretchcan.html) I found them very easy to follow, except perhaps for how to do the corners, so I kind of found my own way round that bit, which could have been written in more detail. Also, I didn't put staples in the thin edge of the bars, just at the back, as I might want to paint round the sides, like they do with 'gallery-wrapped' canvasses. I didn't use canvas pliers either - I feel I wouldn't have enough fingers if I tried to use them as well!

I would recommend trying this to everyone, because it really isn't as hard as you imagine!

About the poll, I am surprised that so many people use store-bought stretched canvas! I guess you are all richer than me! :D

Thanx all, I'll let you know when I get round to painting on this!

Helen

Thanks for the link Helen, I think I will have a go at this

mike
:D