PDA

View Full Version : Creek Dawn

L'Artiste
12-06-2007, 01:15 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-06-2007/118574_Aquia_Creek_Dawn.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Creek Dawn
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I struggled with this one because of the unusual light conditions...sunrise from the left threw a really dark shadow on the foreground. Every time I look at this painting I want to do something with it but I'm not sure what!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is it composition...or tonal issues that I am noticing? (Or something else?) Help!

Corby
12-06-2007, 02:04 PM
it is that dark foreground. Its absence robs the painting of depth. I am thinking that basically the far dark water and the light near water should be reversed. This is however a very beautiful painting!

billmahler
12-06-2007, 03:05 PM
As usual, Corby is right.
Scroll down till the bottom 1/3 of the painting is covered and you have a more settled painting where the mid and background are more lively.
Another inspiring landscape!

MRSBB
12-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Yes they are both right again, but just want to say this is beautiful. It could be Big Creek Lake up in Colorado. I feel like I've been there many times. Thought I could fish the other side once, but found out it was very marshy over there. Gosh, this is so nice, love it............Lenore

sec
12-06-2007, 05:24 PM
I like the subtle and muted colors.

allanom
12-06-2007, 05:50 PM
I think the dark foreground saves this piece. No rules!

Colorix
12-06-2007, 06:00 PM
It is very soft and beautiful. I agree with the Raven (Corvus Corax), there would be greater depth with some deep darks in foreground. And technically, the solo tree wich acts as a lit focus, it is a tad too much smack in the middle, but that is not a big thing, IMHO. The painting is so nearly 'there', I guess it must be frustrating. Try out some darks in the foreground (forewater...), a ripple or three, maybe, in the computer, or on a printout, and see if it doesn't feel right.

Dana Design
12-07-2007, 10:55 AM
The tree in the middle is very well done, however, the size is disproportionate to the rest of the painting. That is really the only thing I see amiss in this painting. The rest of it is truly beautiful!

BryanVanGogh2
12-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Wonderful painting...yes I agree, darkening the foreground will bring this painting to it's climax...I would suggest try painting one of your tree in hints of reds and autumn browns to bring contrast to the painting against your dark foregrounds and maybe even some light purples in the sky as an after affect...just some thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

graymare
12-07-2007, 06:29 PM
I love this..it soothes me!

D.W. Flint
12-09-2007, 12:37 AM
I'm just not sure about changing anything on this. I would have to see it with a darker foreground to make a choice, but it's too beautiful to change now. Nope, I would leave it alone....

creodont
12-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Dark fore ground works for me I love your style. Is this plein air? Excellent use of colors................Your work is museum quality.......john

L'Artiste
12-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Dark fore ground works for me I love your style. Is this plein air? Excellent use of colors................Your work is museum quality.......john

Hi! Thank you so much.... It is taken from a plein air sketch.