PDA

View Full Version : Question: Self Portraits

Kathryn Wilson
12-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I am looking for new things to challenge myself in the new year and it was suggested that I try a self portrait - yikes!

My questions to you are: have you tried to do one? How did you go about setting it up? Did you take photos instead of trying to paint from real life?

I would like to do one is that is a 3/4 figure at the easel - if you've done one, please post!

I can use all the help/advice I can get.

PeggyB
12-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Haven't done one in years, and that was in charcoal - no idea where it went. I did it from life by sitting at my easel beside a full length mirror - ala Norman Rockwell without the paintbrush in my mouth. LOL I also did another one in pencil from a photo of just my head. I liked working from life best, but you'll have to decide for yourself what you prefer. May I suggest trying a charcoal version done in both ways first? You'll also work out some of the value and composition problems that way before committing to the much more expensive pastels.
Peggy

Kathryn Wilson
12-06-2007, 11:39 AM
As always, excellent advice! I will try the charcoal first - how big did you do the full-length portrait Peggy?

PeggyB
12-06-2007, 12:09 PM
As always, excellent advice! I will try the charcoal first - how big did you do the full-length portrait Peggy?

It was an 18 X 24 drawing on newsprint! No wonder it no longer exists. LOL At the time, I had lots of practice with life drawing in very quick poses - 10 seconds was the fastest of them - so looking in the mirror, getting what I needed from my face or posture, and then looking away wasn't difficult for me then. Can't say it would be the same today!

I look forward to reading more about your adventure in self portraiture. :)

Peggy

Deborah Secor
12-06-2007, 12:15 PM
I don't have one to show either. Years ago I set up a full length mirror and painted from life--and then as it looked so odd to everyone I realized the mirror was distorted! It bowed slightly creating a squished look. I thought it was fine but others looked so puzzled. So if you use a mirror be sure it's a good one! (*Note to self: exactly how ELSE would she do a self-portrait? Doh!)

I found it very hard to do. I didn't want to get all dolled up to paint, but does the world want to see me the way I look when I paint? Do I want to show that? :eek: It showed me how vain I am, that's for sure. Now that I'm aging I may have more freedom to just be me and not worry how I look, so a self-portrait could make it past that vanity one day!

Wish I had more advice for you, Kat, but I think scale is definitely a big part of the decisions you'll have to make.

Deborah

PeggyB
12-06-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't have one to show either. Years ago I set up a full length mirror and painted from life--and then as it looked so odd to everyone I realized the mirror was distorted! It bowed slightly creating a squished look. I thought it was fine but others looked so puzzled. So if you use a mirror be sure it's a good one! (*Note to self: exactly how ELSE would she do a self-portrait? Doh!)

I found it very hard to do. I didn't want to get all dolled up to paint, but does the world want to see me the way I look when I paint? Do I want to show that? :eek: It showed me how vain I am, that's for sure. Now that I'm aging I may have more freedom to just be me and not worry how I look, so a self-portrait could make it past that vanity one day!

Deborah

Oh Deborah this is just too funny! I can't imagine you thinking you needed to dress up... :) Since I had the Rockwell portrait in mind when I did my drawing, I didn't have this problem. I wore my old jeans and well painted shirt - it was in the days of my acrylic paintings, and if I'd done it in color the portrait would have been very colorful indeed - remember the colors of the late 60s/early 70s???

If I were to do it in pastel today, I'd most certainly have to add pastel smudges to my face!
Peggy

Kathryn Wilson
12-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Anyone want to join in the challenge? We could start a thread with our progresses? I am not going to start until after the holiday, but will spend this month getting stuff pulled together.

This might be a wash, but could be fun.

LOL - I was thinking the same thing, Deborah, what do I wear? Maybe my painting apron will have to do. :evil:

Colorix
12-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Kathryn, self portraits are fun to do! The model is always present, does not complain, and always obey your slightest thought about keeping or changing position, never quits before you do, and doesn't talk back!

Done a few when I was learning drawing. My first oil painting was one (horrible, it may still be in the garage...) IMHO, the best challenge is to draw from life, using a mirror. You may use a photo for help getting measures correct, but it is hard to keep the same expression when you switch to mirror.

Things I learned:
1) Have large enough mirror, preferably one you can swivel and tilt.
2) Measure, measure, measure.
3) Don't stare at the image in the mirror, especially not when doing eyes! You don't want a gimlet stare in the painting.
4) Place the light well, so you get shadows and lights in face.
5) Don't panic.

And, remember, you may like it, think it is a good likeness, and everybody else will not. For the same reason as why we are never happy with photos of ourselves -- in photos we see ourselves as other see us, but in the mirror, we see a mirror image. In mirror, the left eye is to our left, and in photo, on our right, the face we scrutinize every morning in the bathroom mirror doesn't look like that. (Take a photo of yourself and turn it so you see it in a mirror --suddenly you will see it is indeed you!.)

Good luck, have fun, an please show!

Kathryn Wilson
12-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the help Charlie! It will be challenging for me as I have just started doing figure sketching again after a very long, long absence.

I was invited to join a figure group for the day when I was in Asheville, NC - I was not told the model would be nude! Ha! Thank goodness it was a female, but my mouth dropped when she started to undress. I was good though, only blushed a bit :)

Tracy Lang
12-06-2007, 02:01 PM
I'd love to join the challenge as this is something I've always wanted to do!

I remember reading somewhere that using a "black mirror" (which can be made simply by putting black paper in a frame) can be helpful for facial features as it allows you to just concentrate on the big shapes first.

Tracy

Kathryn Wilson
12-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Hi Tracy - anybody is welcome to this challenge - the more the merrier!

johndill01
12-06-2007, 03:06 PM
quote "The model is always present, does not complain, and always "obey your slightest thought about keeping or changing position, never quits before you do, and doesn't talk back!"

I'm going to have to look for a new model. Mine complains all the time and is constantly talking back. Any volunteers?:D

John

Kathryn Wilson
12-06-2007, 03:18 PM
:wave: Hi John! Good to see you again - will you be joining us?

K Taylor-Green
12-06-2007, 03:22 PM
I did one years ago from a photograph. Have no idea where it is now as I have moved several times since then.

Deborah Secor
12-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Oh Deborah this is just too funny! I can't imagine you thinking you needed to dress up... :) Since I had the Rockwell portrait in mind when I did my drawing, I didn't have this problem. I wore my old jeans and well painted shirt - it was in the days of my acrylic paintings, and if I'd done it in color the portrait would have been very colorful indeed - remember the colors of the late 60s/early 70s???

If I were to do it in pastel today, I'd most certainly have to add pastel smudges to my face!
Peggy

I wasn't even thinking about clothing, just make-up and...well, maybe having to comb my hair. I know, I know--most of you get up and comb your hair but some days I didn't even bother. Hey, I lived out and away from people, no one dropped in there! Now I sort of spruce up a bit since folks do come to the door, or there's likely to be someone walking past when I get the mail.

My self-portrait(s) were far more devoted to the face than to a full-body study. I wanted to learn how to do eyes and lips and hair. My gigantic ego seemed to think I could nail arms and legs, elbows and knees and shoulders, just not eyebrows or nostrils--don't ask me why!

I can't promise I'm in on this one. Maaaaaybe. We'll see. I suspect the old vanity may still be in effect. Oy! (Talk to me when I haven't just gotten my cholesterol count from the doctor, okay? :( )

Deborah

Donna A
12-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi, Kathryn! I LOVE doing self-portraits and have done a lot over the years. As Colorix mentioned---lot of handy things about that 'in-house' model! I've always said how great it is to get the model to turn the nose JUST right and tilt the head just right, etc! :-) I only have one photo that I can think of handy at the moment---and it is on one of the pages of my web site---and I don't even have the click-on-to-enlarge link done, I see. Hmmm---fergot! But you can see a smaller version of this full-length 3'x5' work in oil that I did some years ago at:

http://www.aldridgestudios.com/300-TempPortraitGallery.html

See---I still have Temp as part of the title for that web page. Never had gotten my Gallery finished. duh! One-a-these-days!!! Anyway---it was hot summer for this studio painting so wore appropriate clothing (skin) and set up a large mirror behind me. I learned ever more about seeing from doing this portrait, having had to 'pick up' the particular visual info I was focused on in the mirror and then very physically rotate the information 180 degrees to my canvas. It was a fascinating excercise to get used to---and has served me well ever since.

I used a 500 W photographer's blue-light photoflood behind me and a 200 W incandescent at the other side, hitting my face and shoulder. I also learned significantly more about the way light behaves from that piece!

I say---absolutely paint from life! Geee---ya have a model right there at your beck and call! Why in the world go second hand!!!! Enjoy the feast of real life rather than that snack of a photo (which I say, using photos I've taken to work from a LOT these days---after decades of painting all my subjects from life and learning what things really look like!) Real life is the most fun!

Deborah, loved suggestion about checking out the mirror we use! LOL! Wise words! :-) And we always see ourselves in reverse of what everyone else sees. Our parts in our hair always change sides, etc! :-)

I've done horridly weird portraits (well--the really weird one listening to Tangerine Dream and just going with the flow into some dreamy strange place---without benefit of anything but my son's music! and paint!) and then one I did actually reviewing the technique sequences I wanted to teach the next day---and gave myself a lovely bit of tan and just an ever-so-slight touch of Sophia Loren eyes. LOL! This one looking straight into the mirror. I should photo that one of these days---and some of the others.

And then I did one one New Year's day as a profile, using two mirrors. That was fun. So---do try different mirror set-ups---starting with face on with one mirror. Good lighting from one side with fill light as possible or desired.

Rembrandt knew the power of self-portraits. Great way to experiment, discover---and have some jolly good fun, as well!

And---LOL----when I went to my web page to get the url for that portrait---I realized that there I was on the same page as the portrait I did of my father for Aldridge Hall at William Woods University. Poor Dad---whenever he came over to my studio and that portrait was hanging on the wall, he "could never see it." He saw everything but that. Bless his heart! How rough it had to be to have me for a daughter at times! :-)

I'm game for a portrait challenge after New Years! Sounds fun and has been a while. I do love doing portraits. I'll look forward to more on this thread! My best to you all! Donna ;-}

Doodlebug1967
12-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Kathryn - here is a link to Leigh Rust's pastel portrait WIP. This is absolutely phonomenal. Somewhere in the portrait forum there is a thread on "show us your self-portrait". It was fun and had some information as well. Let us know how it goes.

Ronda

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418275

Kathryn Wilson
12-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks Ronda, I was going to check into WC resources on how to set one up. I will check it out!

Deborah Secor
12-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Leigh shared the progress of that portrait here, too--didn't he? I loved his point of view!

Deborah

AliciaS
12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi Kathryn, its so true that you have the model anytime you want!! i have done many paintings of my self from photos my husband has taken of me..I just hide my face!! soooo..if you're not feeling real comfortable puttin your mug out there, do a pose from the side or with just a little bit of face..or more of a figuritive piece..i get costumes from thrift stores and antique stores and dress up...its alot of fun!! and then it can really be anybody...although , for some reason, everyone figures out which ones are me!! so i think doing a portrait both ways is great..from life and photo, which is great because you can paint poses that are hard for a model to hold..

mimitabby
12-07-2007, 03:59 PM
peeking in from the watercolor forum.
I've done 2 self portraits now and my family hates them. They say i look too serious or stern. well, I was concentrating! Next time I'll try a smiling photograph.

good luck.

Shirl Parker
12-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Check out this thread in the Watercolor forum:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453164&goto=newpost

Shirl

Kathryn Wilson
12-08-2007, 11:54 AM
You guys are being sooo good about advice ... I wonder why. See me fall flat on my face. :evil:

But I am always good for a laugh. :rolleyes:

I talked to a local portrait artist last night about an upcoming class - or helping me with this. She's great! Here's her site - she does both pastels and oils.

http://www.winnerstudios.com/AbouttheArtist.htm

It will be a stretch!

Kathryn Wilson
12-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Wow, you guys have got to check out the link Shirl provided. Amazing work and in watercolor too.

I am positive I won't be doing watercolor - so permanent with each stroke - at least with pastels I can fudge a bit.

And you know me, loosey goosey gander - this ain't gonna be realistic and if it doesn't turn out to look like me, even better! I can always dream about that girly figure I used to have.

PeggyB
12-08-2007, 12:15 PM
You guys are being sooo good about advice ... I wonder why. See me fall flat on my face. :evil:

But I am always good for a laugh. :rolleyes:

I talked to a local portrait artist last night about an upcoming class - or helping me with this. She's great! Here's her site - she does both pastels and oils.

http://www.winnerstudios.com/AbouttheArtist.htm

It will be a stretch!

Kat, Luanna Winner is a great person as well as artist. She has demonstrated still life subjects at two IAPS conventions. Lucky you if you can take her class.

Peggy

Deborah Secor
12-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Oh, I near died laughing when I saw the title of that thread Shirl gave us, not to mention the second post! I'm afraid I can relate...

Okay, I seem to be confessing wherever I go right now, but I actually took some photos of myself in a mirror yesterday as I thought (visually)about the possiblitiy of painting a self-portrait. I know, I know, someone is bound to say I should do it from life but the fact is that having it translated to 2-D helps me get started. I often explain that to my students who are new to the landscape. There's something about having the world reduced to 8 1/2x11" that helps us feel more confident that we can do the same. If I do it (no promises) I'm even considering the idea of setting up a mirror in the studio and starting with a snapshot of myself, followed by looking at the real thing in the mirror. As long as realism doesn't count, Kat!

Deborah

Snowbound
12-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Interesting thread. For a very long time I did a self-portrait about once a year. Some just pencil sketches, some more developed, some just the head, a few upper body, a couple full-body. I only have a few of them now, but it is sure interesting to look back at them: not only the changes in me and how I saw myself, but the development of artistic expression. At least I hope I can call it development.

The last one I did was last spring, I think, just a head portrait from a photo taken by a friend, with some mirror truthing; I posted it here. Maybe time to do a full treatment again. Not nude. I did that once, and will not show it in public. It looks too much like me.:eek:

It would be fun to make a "gallery" of WC pastel self-portraits. Maybe I could make mine abstract? :angel:

Dayle Ann

Donna A
12-08-2007, 10:26 PM
... Okay, I seem to be confessing wherever I go right now, but I actually took some photos of myself in a mirror yesterday as I thought (visually)about the possiblitiy of painting a self-portrait. I know, I know, someone is bound to say I should do it from life but the fact is that having it translated to 2-D helps me get started. I often explain that to my students who are new to the landscape. There's something about having the world reduced to 8 1/2x11" that helps us feel more confident that we can do the same. If I do it (no promises) I'm even considering the idea of setting up a mirror in the studio and starting with a snapshot of myself, followed by looking at the real thing in the mirror. As long as realism doesn't count, Kat!

Deborah

LIFE LIFE! But----right---NO realism! :-) (there---got that out of the way for you!) LOL! Donna ;-}

Shirl Parker
12-08-2007, 10:32 PM
I think a gallery of self-portraits would be a great idea.

Shirl

johndill01
12-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Kat, I'm in on this, but I have to add a disclaimer. Not responsible for any damage to monitors or computers when said portrait is downloaded. Also not responsible for any damage or injuries caused by falling down laughing.:)

Have been painting from life quite frequently lately. Belong to 2 different groups that meet once a week for one and every other week night for the other. We hire a model for each session, either 2 or 3 hours each. Will have to put the oils away for a while and dig out the pastel boxes. Sounds like lots of fun.

Would like to add that if at all possible work from life. Perspective, sizing and just the drawing in general is much different than working from 2D. Went through a year when we did not have a life drawing group and the changes that it made has taken 8 to 10 sessions to start to straighten out the differences. As Donna said, LIFE, LIFE, LIFE.
John

Edward A. Kole
12-23-2007, 09:32 AM
I have used more than sixty of my seventy-six years a professional artist hired to produce print advertising. So although I have not painted in “oils” everything produced was inspired from my early foundations as a student of portraiture in oils. I retired ten years ago and used those ten years to complete a lifetime of promises made to others and myself . . . . .or so I thought.

Recently, I realized I had one promise still in limbo. I was so immersed in that promise that I forgot it was there, expired but still influencing my life. The “promise” was to “hang up” my brushes that I may better and more consistently provide for my family. Seven months ago, I realized that with my family fully independent, my promise to “provide” was fulfilled and there was no reason I should not retrieve my brushes and fulfill the earlier promises made to myself.

Since then, I have produced approximately thirty self-portraits in the style of under paintings. They were all done in the manner taught by “Mr. Frank J. Reilly.” In that time, two paintings were done in full color. The second painting was painted over the first. I did not keep the first full color painting as it was too orange to consider it as ”full color.” What is posted below is a photograph of the second painting and an example of the under painting technique.

All these recent self-portraits were done from life and a full-length mirror in the morning hours of 8 am to 12 noon, all without artificial light.

Regarding some of the recent comments comparing of 2D to 3D imagery. Choosing 2D over 3D maybe likened to intentionally forgo personal experience in favor reading what a machine has interpreted. What is missed is exponentially greater than what pluses are minimally perceived.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2007/108143-CroppedSelfPortrait12:23:07.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2007/108143-UnderpaintingFront12:22:07.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
12-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Hello Edward! thanks for posting these lovely self portraits - they are full of expression and texture - I could only hope to do half as well as these.

So glad you are back in the fold of doing art again - we've all gone through similar experiences.

ColorMyWorld
12-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Self-portraits are interesting and vey hard.
I've found that what I see in the mirror is very influenced by what I "see" in my mind's eye.
Here is a self-portrait I did while looking in a mirror. Comparing it to a photo of myself, I've never seen a photo with my forehead that high, yet that is what I "see" in the mirror.
After doing this one with a mirror, I think it would be easier to use a photo.
I got the deer-in-the-headlights look from staring too much.
Also, although my model was there whenever I wanted her, she was always moving. Everytime I looked at her, she'd just turned back from looking somewhere else!
I think if I do another portrait from a mirror, I'd use a grease-pencil to put some locating dots on the mirror to make it easier to find the same pose each time.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2007/48177-self-portrait_060403-A.jpg oil pastels

Kathryn Wilson
12-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks Ann - this is wonderful - a great pose!

I wondered how to consistently go back to the same spot - good idea.

doe
12-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi Kat - somewhere once I read that a good set up for a self portait would be with two mirrors - using one to observe yourself in the other. I can't find where I read that though. Seems like fun though!

Kathryn Wilson
12-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi Doe! Nice to see you posting here. I have been reading that about mirrors too.

An interesting factoid - the cheval (sp) mirror was invented so that a military rider in all his uniform splendor could view how he looked on his horse (talk about ego trips). The mirror tilts so they could view themselves from different angles. :rolleyes:

doe
12-26-2007, 08:23 AM
That is interesting and I'm so glad a tilting mirror was invented because that was my major Christmas gift this year - a 10x magnifier that makes your wrinkles look like craters! Now I don't know why I asked for that! Just don't use one of those.:)

Kathryn Wilson
12-26-2007, 08:30 AM
I got a full length mirror too - this one doesn't tilt, but will use it as my second mirror - I may need another one to do what I want in this project.

I know what you mean about craters! When did they appear I keep asking myself.

Deborah Secor
12-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Hmmm, and those full length tilting mirrors can improve things in some subtle ways. I was in a fancy store not too long ago and thought I looked too good to be true. Turns out they ever-so-slightly tilt the mirrors so you look good in the clothing, prompting you to buy from them. Stunning manipulation.... Anyone have a tilting mirror I can borrow?

Deborah

dacoop
12-26-2007, 09:27 PM
I had to do self portraits for classes I was taking. I put dots on my forehead, nose, chin, and the base of my throat with an eyebrow pencil (it washes of easily) then I put those same dots on a mirror with a dry erase marker. It made lining up so much easier...and ultimately a more accurate self portrait. Every millimeter of movement makes a difference !

Deborah Secor
12-26-2007, 10:20 PM
What a great idea! Really very streamlined and easy to do--as long as you know right where those dots were, which can't be too hard. :thumbsup:

I just hope the mailman doesn't ring my doorbell!

If you're really literal, those dots would add a whimsical note to the painting, too. :wink2:

Deborah

alaskan rose
01-01-2008, 01:28 AM
This sounds intriguing, I would be interested to participate in the self portrait challenge if we end up having one. It would be my first, I would like to try one from life. (Did I just say I would like to try one from life?!?! :eek: :D )

Trilby
01-01-2008, 02:45 AM
I won't be joiining this project at this time but have been contemplating doing another self portrait that is more true to my current self. A couple of years ago, just as I was starting in pastels I did a portrait using several photos that had been taken in 1997. My tiny head avatar is a crop from this portrait. A word of caution if using photos, take care to correct for artifacts of photography, and angle of shot. The photographer had taken the photos from above and my portrait is head on, though it matched up to the photos, the nose is too long or was til I photoshopped it; It still took a 3rd place in the first ever show I entered back then which was a real encocuragement to keep on with the pastels. Anyhoo it is now 10 years and 20 pounds and a few new wrinkles later since the ref photos were made so time to do an up to date self portrait one of these days and will probably try doing it live. It will be fun to watch yours Kat and yours Debra and all of the others.
TJ

Kathryn Wilson
01-01-2008, 09:45 AM
For everyone that has expressed an interest in this project, I will be starting it up this week sometime. I will start a new thread and Sticky it so it can be found. This will be a long, ongoing project/challenge, so join in when you can.

I will first share my inspiration and thoughts, post my idea/sketches, then really get into it. It maybe a slow process!

As I said, this will be whatever you want it to be for you, so let your imagination soar! Abstract? Realistic? Impressionistic? Fantasy? Whatever you want to do, join in.

Deborah Secor
01-01-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm scheming about this idea but I'm not ready to join the party this week. I have two articles due in mid-January that take precedence. Gotta pay the bills first! I've spent some time perusing different self-portraits to see what might work.

Kat, I'm looking forward to seeing what you and others do and I'll play along when time permits. I'm glad it's a long-term project...

Oh, and are you using the project system or just running a stickied thread?

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
01-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Going to use a sticky thread - Project system is being worked on.

Hold your breath folks, it's gonna be wild ride! :)

scall0way
01-02-2008, 10:39 AM
What a great thread! I've only tried a self-portrait once, when I was still quite new to pastels. Well at only 2 1/2 years since I began I still think of myself as quite new! But this self-portrait was done only 6 months after I'd begun to take my initial lessons in art. I did it by hanging a mirror on my easel and staring into it, so of course I have the gimlet stare and serious expression. Naturally everyone hated it, :lol:.

But it was a first for me. I'll post it here, awful as it is. Maybe this will be an incentive to try again and see if I can do it better for a second time. :) I only had my original 24-color NuPastel set at the time so not too many colors to work with - though that would not have made a difference if I'd known what I was doing!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2008/62165-Debbie_Self-Portrait-One.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
01-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Hey Debbie, hope to see you over in the new thread (ETA Thursday).

mimitabby
01-02-2008, 11:24 AM
well, Debbie, that did it! I'm posting mine too. It's a watercolor "sketch"
and you'll see I have the same expression on my face.:lol::lol::lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2008/73379-selfmimi1.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Awesome, Kat. Can I join in too? Even though it is not patel but OPs? I won't post my many self portraits.....:eek: I'll wait to do this one..

Pat

mimitabby
01-02-2008, 04:46 PM
yes, i'm hoping that using watercolors is not considered to be an intrusion. I'm sorry if that's the case.

M

Donna A
01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
For everyone that has expressed an interest in this project, I will be starting it up this week sometime. I will start a new thread and Sticky it so it can be found. This will be a long, ongoing project/challenge, so join in when you can.

I will first share my inspiration and thoughts, post my idea/sketches, then really get into it. It maybe a slow process!

As I said, this will be whatever you want it to be for you, so let your imagination soar! Abstract? Realistic? Impressionistic? Fantasy? Whatever you want to do, join in.

Ohhh, fun, Kat!!! (But----does this mean I have to comb my hair???) (I can rather startle myself sometimes on the days when I just roll out of bed, toss on some clothes and go start painting.) Hmmmm. :-) Sounds like anything will work with what you are planning. Love your idea, Kat! Has been a good while since I've done a self portrait---and since I've been on a 'facing painting' odyssey lately, this is perfect! Thank you!

The pieces I've seen posted have been wonderful! So full of spirit and personality! Yea! Looking forward to the 'sticky...' Donna ;-}

Kathryn Wilson
01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Sorry, we are limiting this to soft pastels. It's more from my lack of knowledge of other mediums than anything else - I can't help in watercolors or oils.

Why not try a small portrait in pastels, you might like them!

mimitabby
01-08-2008, 10:44 AM
That's fine. I don't have time for pastels right now.

However, when you get done with YOUR selfportraits, you might check out this website: http://javeartwork.blogspot.com/

The guy is "collecting" self portraits. It's an interesting website.