GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Little Muddy River
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The Little Muddy that flows thru our ranch in North Dakota.<br>The bottom lands are filled with deer,raccoon,skunks, beaver and coyotes amongst other wild and wonderous things.<br>At the deep end is where our house sits. It was the officers quarters at Fort Buford during the Indian Wars. The headwaters of the Missouri and Yellowstone join about 3 miles south of this site and was the campsite of Lewis and Clark on their Jou<br>ey of Discovery. Ten miles west is Fort Union, founded by the American Fur Company in 1804.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything at all... Still looking to improve... Thanks and so many of you are starting to feel like old friends. I appreciate your comments immensely.

L'Artiste
12-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Hello! I think you have a nice sense of color going for you here and a definite center of interest - both important to a painting. The next time you are out painting trees, take close observation of how leaves usually appear in clumps, rather than spaced apart individually. The clumps themselves will have variations in value that can add a lot of depth and interest. See what you think. Nice start!

nodakcoyote
12-04-2007, 02:48 PM
The foreground trees are the ones you are referring to I assume. I see what you mean... funny, you don't notice this stuff until someone points it out.
Thanks.

L'Artiste
12-04-2007, 04:02 PM
The foreground trees are the ones you are referring to I assume. I see what you mean... funny, you don't notice this stuff until someone points it out.
Thanks.

That's why this forum is so valuable! We can all use other opinions to make our work better.

But as for the trees, varying the values and colors of the background leaves as well would add to the painting's sense of depth. Consider that the leaves closer to the very bright area in your focal area would be reflecting that light more than the leaves farther away.

Happy painting!

Corby
12-05-2007, 02:37 AM
this painting has the most beautiful color in it! The tip about the foliage is very good, I wanted to make a small additional point about foliage or any texture pattern for that matter. Quite often it is most pronounced at the edges of an object. here is where it is liable to get the most light and it is also liable to get the most silhouette against a revealing background.

Notice in this small segment of trees taken from your painting how I clumped the clumps together so they make one large form characteristic of that particular tree. Then I reserve the brightest color and the darkest value of it for the edges so that the texture really shows:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2007/70790-Untitled.jpg

nodakcoyote
12-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks Corby. I can see how that would really make it "pop". I had it over my mantle and it just seemed kinda flat. Now I know why. Back to the drawing board.
Kelly