PDA

View Full Version : Here I am again, trying to learn from all of you.

Emilia
06-12-2002, 12:30 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2002/Alana_with_mom_approaching_the_beach.jpg

Again, any comments would be appreciated. This is an acrylic on canvas 14 x 18 it is now in private possession.

please comment and critique. I can take it. :(

Wayne Gaudon
06-12-2002, 09:49 AM
Ok .. This is only my opinion so don't send anyone to do me in.

I like the composition and disposition but I fail to find the source of light. There is a strong suggestion of strong sunlight by your shadows but they come from both directions.
The lighting on the girl and lady are devoid of any such strong light. The left side of each figure should be darker than the right (if the light is coming from the right) and it should be a very noticable difference. If the light is coming from the right then the shadows should reflect on the little girl as well.

The shadows do not seem to be correct. The shadow closest to the object should be the darkest shadow and fade and get lighter with distance. The horizontal shadows should not be darker than the vertical shadows and the verticals should be darker at the bottom. It seems that you have shadows going in 2 different directions .. left to right and right to left.

The lady's shoe is in the shadow yet it reflects brillian white. It would be shadowed as well.

Love the action of the little girl pulling away from the lady.

paintergirl
06-12-2002, 12:08 PM
Hi Emilia! :D
Such a interesting composition and subject...done with a soft touch, adding to the delicacy of the picture. I was struck by the sky and the distant birds first, liked how the gold of the rails contrasted that also. The little girl's pose looks natural, as if she is tugging at mom ...just like a child would!;)
I agree with Wayne about picking your source of light....I don't know if you worked from a photo or not but you can pick your own source, and probably alter the shadows of the rails and lady, little girl, by using a ruler or string to guide you from your 'imaginary' source.
With the light appearing to come from the forground right, the lady and daughter would have their shadow increased working from the left and especially apparent in the folds and creases of their clothes.
What a challenging subject you picked, I just love the mood of the whole picture...like a walk late in the afternoon. Is this you and your daughter or? There is such a mood of 'being there'. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work! :clap:

orchidlover6
06-12-2002, 01:29 PM
interesting composition.
i agree about a light source.
understanding light sources was very frustration when I first started drawing and painting. you have to learn to really look where the shadows fall.
good luck!

Andrew
06-12-2002, 04:01 PM
I like the composition, it has a very traditional triangle structure. The mood transmitted by the piece is quite pleasant. I have to concur with the comments concerning the light source and shading. The figures look too flat without the shading.

I also find the proportions of the woman a tad disconcerting. I find my eye being pulled more towards her and not readily taking in the overall composition. If her proportions were more correct it would improve the composition without having to change the position of any element in the picture.

Just my opinion
Andrew

Emilia
06-12-2002, 05:46 PM
Thank you all for your comments,
Wayne, Paintergirl, Orchard lover, Andrew.

I really appreciate your comments. I will be more conscious now of my shadows and light source.

This was painted from the photo that my son took. No she is not me. The little girl is my grand daughter.

Andrew, the proportions are hers but as I said I will work on my light source and shadows. I am learning so much from you all.

Thanks again.

P.S. Please check my painting visit to Poland. (acrylic)