PDA

View Full Version : What is you criterum to choice the "Right" Background Color/paper?

marsias
12-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Hello.

I like to paintig in a Colored Backgound paper.:clap:

Because are there many Color to choice about the Backgound paper/color, i wont to ask you , which is the "point" to looking for to choice a match backgound for you painting??:confused: :confused:

thanks.

Pat Isaac
12-03-2007, 05:03 PM
I also like working on a colored ground. I usually choose a color simialr to what thecolors are in the painting I'm working on or I choose a color that is complementary to my painting.

Pat

LJW
12-03-2007, 05:19 PM
I decide on an individual basis. For landscapes, sometimes I choose light blue for the sky, sometimes green for leaves or alternatively red as the complement of green to tone down the green. I think it's best to try different colours to see what you like. It's harder to use yellows on darker colours I find. Hope that helps. Jane

AnnieA
12-03-2007, 05:58 PM
marsias: For me, the issue is more one of value, as opposed to color. I just find it easier to judge values throughout the painting if I start with a surface with a medium or darkish value, as opposed to a white surface. That's why I'm very fond of Colorfix primer in the Elephant color, which is sort of a medium to dark gray. But really, any toning of the surface tends to help, even lighter ones - just anything besides pure white.

It may be that I just haven't experimented enough with colored grounds though, as I know many people say that the color of the surface can make a big difference.

marsias
12-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Hello.

Thanks for the answers.

I have one additional question about paper:

Is a Canvas textured ,oil Colour Pad for Oelpastels right??

Thanks.

Pat Isaac
12-04-2007, 07:39 AM
There are canvas pads that you can use OPs on and there are stretched canvases and canvas boards that many artists use. All are textured and you can get very smooth canvas in the stretched variety.

Pat

ElleZee
12-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Great question and equally excellent answers! :thumbsup:

I have been pondering this problem with my own work as of late, and I am very happy you asked! I have been using mainly red, dark blue and black for my paper colours latey and find the red my favorite. With the darker colours it's more difficult to get bright clear yellows...but they do work nicely for certain effects.

I have purchased the cool and warm packages of the Colourfix to experiment with....so I will try some of the recommendations made here.