PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Gift

TinaC
12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-03-2007/117326_IMG_2852_1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Wedding Gift
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40 x 100 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
4/100 - A present from the bride to the groom - he loves her waist and hip contours! I am not really up for a commission, but this was taken on after a cocktail fueled hen night and is for a very good friend, accepted on a 'have a go, but no worries if it fails' basis. So far the bride likes it, but I would like some expert feedback in addition.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is one days work so far, and I am not sure about the shiny bottom or the blue shoulder shadow. Looking for any glaring errors or necessary tweaks as time is short - they wed on the 23rd Dec. Posted on The Figure forum also. Should I post on Structured Critiques too? The photo is a bit blurry, but not too far off.

eringaard
12-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Wow !!! nice work! i would leave the shiny bottom it gives a realistic effect.

Is the background finished? maybe you could work on that.Its really dark and not really "happy" ....

Best regards marcel

belbibitt
12-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Like this very much! Unusual and interesting!

nodakcoyote
12-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Renoir said " I paint a woman's butt until I feel I want to touch it. Then it is done." You have to decide when you are happy with it.

Smoker
12-03-2007, 02:20 PM
You certainly are worthy of painting this commission. You do beautiful work.

I am just a beginner - so - from a beginners perspective I feel the shadows are too dark. The blue on the top of the shoulder, side, hip and legs are properly placed but appear to me to be too dark.

Take what I've said with a gain of salt. There are those here who can give a more professional appraisal. I just wanted to give this layman's point of view.

Don't ever stop painting:clap: .

Paulafv
12-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Wonderful painting. Absolutely lovely. Like the highlights and the blue shadows.
Picture it over the bed in a softly lit room. It should be great in that setting and needs the light of the highlights.

billmahler
12-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Nicely drawn and painted.
I'm not clear on the light source. Did you use a flash for the reference?

TinaC
12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Smoker and Belbibitt and everyone - thanks for your kind comments, its very encouraging.

Marcel - for a while the background was yellow ochre, and although we liked the soft effect, because it is to be hung on a cream wall without a frame we thought it needed to be more of a contrast. Its actually brown which is the colour of some of the soft furnishings.

Paulafv - good point about the setting. It is to go over the bed and I think you are right about it needing the highlights for that reason. Thanks.

Bill - the light was head on and largely natural. I exaggerated the highlights deliberately and also had to disguise some tan lines as the real bottom was a lot whiter all over. I would have liked to have played with some different lighting, but I am an even more novice photographer than painter.

Nodakcoyote - not sure I ever want to touch this bottom, as fond as I am of my friend. Maybe I will do George Clooney next time and see if get into more of the Renoir mode!

artforprofits.com
12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
lovely work, very sensuous. The shading and tone are also excellent

gerryca
12-04-2007, 12:12 PM
This is lovely - and what a lovely gift -
I am a total amateur, so take this comment for what it's worth -
Have a look at the bottom leg. To me it looks heavier than it should be?
Also, the shadow on the top leg looks, to me, a little ripply, not smooth.
Have a look and see what you think.

creodont
12-05-2007, 01:12 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmthat backside looks familiar. Shape and contour of body is well done The shiny backside is actually is not a problem. the back leg on the bottom as it bends in may cause a problem if people do not see both legs whole as they are position. These are the times I wish I could translate as well as Corby and other higher functioning members of our esteem forum. I enjoy your work immensely and hope you continue painting people clothed or not...........John

TinaC
12-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks to all, and especially to you John who's shadow I would happily walk in forever. I am going to soften down the background so it really looks brown not black, do a few tweaks based on the advice I have received and re-post. Its hugely encouraging to have so many nice comments, I am in awe of so much of what I see on this site and long for a true direction and style of my own. Maybe (tastefull) naked bodies are my thing - perhaps I will see if a few more of my friends are inspired to strip off for me! Thanks again. This art lark is great isnt it, so much more fun than spreadsheets? Wish I had more time............

creodont
12-05-2007, 09:05 PM
All kidding aside if people wish to pose for you naked or not take advantage of it. It will push you forward light years ahead of time.To paint or draw the human body one appreciates and respects oneself on function and form. I always thought that the people who modeled in all those life drawing classes old and young .Large or small made me stronger as an artist and gratitude for this simple gift to draw and paint ....Cheers ........John

creodont
12-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Heh August!!!!!!!!! Do not walk in anyones shadow. You have your very own style and unique talent. I do not wish you to copy my mistakes. Even just kidding there are to many artist who never get recognized or grow because of someone or a school of thought that is severe in how to represent art. Whats neat about Wet Canvas is you do get to see a lot of talent and kindly learned folk who take the time to critique in a positive manner. or kid to much around like I do. Enjoy life August and enjoy the fact you are a fantastic artist.........Excuse me while I stumble over my shadow............John

TinaC
12-10-2007, 07:08 AM
I think its finished - but let me know if you think otherwise. I am painting the groom next, I wonder what part of him the bride likes the best! Thanks for your words of wisdom John, and thanks for the explanation about the bottom leg. It was right but wrong, and I didnt know how reconcile that. Keep on kidding..........keep on painting......... and keep that shadow behind you!