PDA

View Full Version : evening quietness

eringaard
12-03-2007, 11:36 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-03-2007/124135_IMG_7271_(Small).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: evening quietness
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 70 x 50 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
also posted in marine art

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I painted this to find out how acrilycs work as a base coating so i first painted it in acrylics and later in oil.<br><br>Although the boat needs some more work i think this one is almost done.<br><br>i hope you all like it. <br><br>Best regards marcel

Ronni
12-03-2007, 11:41 AM
I like it! very romantic!

Dana Design
12-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Marcel, Beautiful painting. Your treatment of the water is superb as well as where the water meets the beach...wonderful work!

Even where I live, the sky does truly look like this at times. Lovely.

Thank you for posting this.

mariahrt
12-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Wonderful work. Very nice painting.

La_
12-03-2007, 01:18 PM
beautiful

reds are tricky to work sometimes, you managed very well

the signature will be completely covered by framing tho, you might want to pick another spot for that

la

Corby
12-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Beautiful! Like Dana I particularly appreciate how you worked the scud on the beach, very realistic. It calls for great restraint to get realism in a red monotone.

toraman
12-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Excellent sky, sea. A complete painting. Tebrik ederim.

Candices_Creations
12-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Wonderful painting....excellent reflection on the water...really unusual color and you captured it so well ! Thank you for sharing this painting.

MRSBB
12-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi Eringaard and welcome to Wet Canvas. Your painting is so striking and has a very romantic mood to it as Ronni said. Will be looking forward to seeing more of your work. I have wondered about using acrylic as a base under my oil paintings. So how did you like the results? Did you think it helped for applying the oil? I would be interested in your comments on that. Nice work............Lenore

eringaard
12-04-2007, 03:42 AM
Hi all,

thank you all for the nice comments!

la: your right the signature will be behind the frame ill better change that.

Lenorei really liked working with acrylics as a back ground.It also helps to give the oilpaint extra strenght and you dont need to apply some much paint to get the result you wanted.It also helps you to find the right colours.I know that some critiques say that acrylics isnt good for a background but that would proberly not be noticed the first 100 years.

Thank you so much
Best regards marcel

MRSBB
12-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Eringaard.......Thanks for your info. I will experment and give it a try. I can see where it might be helpful when you are just using a limited palette. Lenore

Cella
12-04-2007, 10:20 PM
It has a haunting quality to it. I would call this done. The ship and it's surroundings breathe as one! Perfect! :clap:

Cella

creodont
12-04-2007, 10:54 PM
This is a truly nice painting and I enjoy the beach and boat a lot. My concern is and I kinda forgot and acrylics have changed thru the years but in using them with oils not mixing but as they both age sometimes the acrylic becomes brittle and comes off.The oil may stay in its shape but slowly loosen as the acrylic becomes brittle. I'm not sure if you use the oil first or the acrylic. again from our astute and learned friends like Corby or Dana may help in this. But this is truly a beautiful art piece............John

Cella
12-04-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure if you use the oil first or the acrylic. again from our astute and learned friends like Corby or Dana may help in this. But this is truly a beautiful art piece............John

You paint oil on top of acrylic.
You should not paint acrylic on top of oil.

Cella

billmahler
12-04-2007, 11:17 PM
It's quite difficult to do a sunset/seascape that's captivating and original - but you've done it!
As all have said, the limited pallett was a bold creative stroke and it worked nicely.
Congratulations.

artforprofits.com
12-04-2007, 11:49 PM
That sky and reflection on the water are fantastic. You are an extremely talented artist, well done. I could look at that painting forever, immersed in the beauty and tranquility!!

eringaard
12-05-2007, 02:43 AM
awww, thank you all for the kind words and comments!!

Best regards marcel

bypick
12-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Well Marcel, here I am....I hope better late than not at all. Sorry I forgot to get back to you...no excuses but old age. :o

To me, one of the most fascinating parts of art is in the perception of the viewer. We all have memories within us of how a certain scene has impressed us. Usually they are heightened above reality. Those memories surface when we suddenly are confronted by a similar image in an artistic work. Whether in color or mood or subject, we immediately associate the image with our memory, having been there to experience the mood or seen the colors on the painted surface. As an example, people often point at the transparencies in seascapes and say, "I've seen it when it looked just like that." Probably not. Most often, the artist has heightened the color or size of the transparency to leave the glorified impression we have come to expect.

The brilliant color of your "Evening Quietness" is a vivid example. The overall mood of the heightened color is extremely impressive. It may affect each of us in different ways, but it will be remembered. "I've seen it like that before" and "haunting" are expressions that tell you that you have succeeded in your painting.

I really have no criticisms other than the balance of reflections of the sun on the water. It would probably be best to enhance the white of the sun in the clouds to give reason for the glitter on the swells. Perhaps it's just the smaller image, but that balance is important.

Another critique regards the lighter foreground. It draws away from the impact of the darker mood....it is sort of a painting within itself. Remember, generally the shimmer of light is larger at the horizon nearer the sun and grows smaller as it reaches the beach. Type in E. John Robinson in your search engine and see how he handles sunlight in his works.

Enough for now. It's really a fine piece. It will draw attention wherever you hang it...you should do so proudly.

Thank you for the invitation. I feel as if I have invaded the forum. Thanks everyone, for allowing me this moment of time. :)
Byron

laketrees
12-11-2007, 07:52 AM
stunning sunset and the contrast between the linear quality of the waters edge and the softness throughout the painting iis very clever !!

Shandiin
12-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Wow, I think I've fallen in love with your painting. I just can't stop myself from revisiting this thread to see it. ♥