PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Dec. 3 - Dec. 9

Pat Isaac
12-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Good morning everyone,

A little snow on the ground overnight and now it is raining, then maybe a little more snow, but nothing very bad.
I am feeling a lot better , but still have at least one more day in the house...:( I already feel so far behind as far as the holidays go, but I'll just have to do what I can.There is an art opening of the Calendar exhibit in which my painting is the month of April. I won't be able to go, but hope to get over to see the exhibit in a week or so.

So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

LJW
12-03-2007, 10:06 AM
We're having a winter storm with heavy snow, ice pellets and freezing rain at times. I guess I'll stay in and paint (or maybe vacuum and dust, which needs doing) Jane

Pat Isaac
12-03-2007, 10:41 AM
I think you should paint!!!

Pat

wabbitt
12-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi all...had a nice, quiet weekend at home. It finally rained here last Friday morning but it stayed gloomy all day. Ran some errands with Mom on Saturday but she's tiring easily, so didn't get to do all I wanted to do. Stayed home Sunday to work on my friend's portrait (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461572) Maybe you can look in and help me out. Felt good to relax and "play"...got 2 for WDE, three pages of sketches for scavenger hunt, and got to work on something for myself. Even fit a couple OPs in there. Unfortunately, I started a couple big projects over Thanksgiving that I've almost lost interest in...just sitting there now.

And dang it! My life drawing teacher is a master printmaker so last week we had to do a print for class. We drew our model on a plastic sheet, cut out the highlights and ran it through the press. I think mine turned out rather well. Argghh, she showed us how to do it at home without a press. I bought the little speedball kit at Michaels last year when I wanted to make a stamp...so I had the cutting tool and leftover rubber and I thought I had finally found a use for all these watercolor tubes I've collected in the past two years. I wouldn't buy them, I know I suck at watercolor, but they came with books & kits I wanted for other things. Anyway, I turned my art corner over and couldn't find the cutting tool...I am using all the self control I can muster to NOT get into another medium. I've already looked at michaels (I had a 40% off coupon...yay for short expiration dates) for printing inks & home depot for the plastic sheet before self-control pulled me out of the stores. Still, I find myself looking though the art catalogs (sigh.)

Pat Isaac
12-03-2007, 01:11 PM
I know how addictive art supplies are. I have to sometimes force myself not to look at catalogs or go to stores to buy something that I really don't need. It is fun to look though.
Portrait is also looking good and you have received some good advice. I think the mouth is too small too. You sure have been busy.

Pat

LJW
12-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Julie, I'm glad you had some time for yourself and your art. I think you got some good advise about the portrait - I think her double chin is a bit too large (and so a bit unflattering) and her mouth needs some work.

I had to laugh about art supplies - I'm an art supply junkie myself. Over the years, in the pursuit of the perfect medium for me, I've collected a lot of stuff and I don't throw anything out in case I might want to use it again. I've got tons of watercolour paints, watercolour inks, watercolour pencils, Neocolour II watercolour crayons, sumi brushes and ink, W&N acrylics, Golden fluid acrylics, some of the new Interactive acrylics, Acryla gouache, all sorts of OPs (my favourite), oil sticks, watersoluble oil paints, calligraphic pens, technical pens, all sorts of pencils, watercolour brushes, oil brushes, acrylic brushes, and paper and canvas boards to go with all of that. Fortunately I don't use canvases, cause I don't know where I'd put them. Jane

Pat Isaac
12-03-2007, 01:25 PM
:lol: Sounds like me Jane. I even have the canvases....

Pat

wabbitt
12-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for looking at the portrait. I'm going to try and tweak tonight before I give it spritz of sprayfix.

I only bought canvases for the painting class I took. All the rest of the canvases I inherited from mom. At this point I'll eventually have to take up oil painting for 5-6 incomplete canvases that I want to paint over. She had the art supply bug over 30 years ago. She was lucky not to have all the access to different mediums, information, & online art catalogs that I have. As it is, she did get into ceramics and we still have a bunch of stuff at different levels of completion lying around the house...not to mention all her oil paintings. I asked her "how come all your paintings are big canvases...3-4 feet min" and all the canvases she gave me, used and unused, are under two feet. She said she ran out of wall space and just started working smaller before she got "too busy."

lacey sprocket
12-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Hello, all! I'm the same way with art supplies! I have absolutely packed my tiny little studio with shelves of stuff. Half of my closet is filled with gallons of latex and theatrical paint for murals and drops. We should all post a picture of our pile of supplies sometime. :lol: I do find that when I'm stuck with one medium, a switch to another is sometimes just what I need.
Julie, I think you've done pretty well on that portrait for having a hard image to work from. Isn't denim fun to draw? I found an oil pastel drawing I did in jr. high school maybe, of denim with a banana on it. I too, save everything! Next time you're doing a portrait, try putting a strong light to one side of the model and take a photo with no flash. It may take a few tries to get one that's just right, but those are the easiest photos to work from, as the light is all coming from the same direction. Plus it's a lot easier to get an illusion of depth. I can post a few I've taken, if you'd like to use them for practice. You can always practice portraits in the mirror, too. Maybe a self portrait a day? ;)

LJW
12-05-2007, 12:28 PM
We are having a very early snowy winter here, at least as compared to the last several years when the snow has been late and not much accumulation. Thought you might like to see what part of our yard looks like. This is the 'stable' built by a previous owner for his two horses, now used for storage by us. It's only early Dec. after all. Jane

Pat Isaac
12-05-2007, 02:35 PM
That is very wintery, Jane, but beatiful. We have one of those storage sheds in our yard also which housed hores from the previous owner. However, it isn't nearly as fancy and we expect at some point the floor may cave in as a woodchuck lived under it for several years despite my husband's attempts at discouraging it.
Went out today for a bit of shopping. Feeling much better now.

Pat

AnnieA
12-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Here in the NW there's been extreme flooding - earlier in the week there was a rain storm that was absolutely the worst downpour I've ever seen here. There was a serious landslide not far from where I live (nobody was hurt), but the problems are much more serious in other areas. In some places there was 14" of rain in less than 48 hours! It's mostly a mopping up operation now - and many people are homeless. :( Another reminder of the power of Mother Nature...

Julie: I left comments in your portrait thread. I think Lacey's recommendations about light source are good ones. Good luck on resisting a new medium. :p

Jane: The stable looks very cool with all that snow - pretty.

Pat: I'm very glad to hear you're doing better. Take care and don't push yourself.

LJW
12-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Pat, glad that you're getting out and feeling better.

Annie, that sounds like a dire situation. It seems like the weather is causing lots of problems everywhere these days, with the recent fires in California and various areas of drought around the world.

Jane

Pat Isaac
12-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Yes, the power of nature is something to be reckoned with. I keep reading reports about the flooding in your area, very bad. I am glad that you are okay. Water is a formidable force.
I am not pushing....thanks for your concern, Annie.

Pat