GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: A Place To Fish
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8 x 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have never worked in this medium before so I am submitting it anonymously. I was trying to convey an inviting place to walk down to the stream and fish.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does it have any merit, or should I just forget this medium. You won't hurt my feelings by being totally honest. All critiques are most welcome. Thanks

MRSBB
12-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi Anonymous........Well it looks inviting to me. I like the trees and water, but I'm not sure about the brown thing up front. Could be a rock or tree stump, maybe you should take it out or tone it down. Keep having fun........Lenore

LynnDigby
12-02-2007, 11:09 PM
HA! You don't get to give up after only one painting!! Watercolor is tricky, particularly if you've been working in oils.

But once you figure out what it can do with it, it's really quite fun.Give it time!!!

You have really done well here! Keep painting!

eringaard
12-03-2007, 04:11 AM
i love the cheerful colours in it!! and if this is your first try with watercolouring .......i must say its pretty good!

now for critique: i cant see the depth effect in it.Its there on the left but it straighten out on the right.i dont know if you can fix that with watercolours.

Best regards marcel

Dana Design
12-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Don't give up! And don't forget to use some of the white of the paper for highlights...on the water and on the trees.

For your first w/c, I'd say very well done!

creodont
12-04-2007, 11:06 PM
I like how your adding in reds in the trees in the background. The shadows also come out fine.......John

billmahler
12-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Well, you've done one more watercolor than I have, and it's a good start.
Keep going!

Corby
12-05-2007, 02:46 AM
Keep in mind that watercolor is transparent. The characteristics of your color, whether it is intense or pale in hue or light or dark in value depends on how much water you use in your mix. There are opaque water colors but generally speaking they dont seem to be much used for paintings... This is a medium that will probably end up giving you fits until one day it suddenly comes together in a more or less obedient manner. So keep at it, you will succeed.

As a start with this particular painting, it appears that you are using the paint more as if it were opaque water color. Try adding more water so that the colors are not so bright and see what will happen for you. have fun!

april25
12-05-2007, 07:55 AM
I love that the picture is so quite, very nice.

MRSBB
12-06-2007, 08:21 PM
:wave: Well, I guess if I want to post my update to this painting I will have to fess up to painting it. I was trying to get a suggestion on what to do with the tree stump, but no takers........so...I added a car. Think it works better? I also touched up the trees, which I wish I had left alone. Learning every day..........Lenore

Dana Design
12-07-2007, 10:28 AM
What about some weeds, grass, small shrubs around the car to make it look abandoned.