Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 5x7
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
commission... says she likes green..and purple

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I need to know if the background is okay mainly. Any advice you can give me is great..for the future...<br>and also, is this too boring? does it need another color (purple perhaps) and if so, where should I put it?<br><br>Is it too stark to have the background so dark compared to the foreground?<br>

Dana Design
12-02-2007, 01:21 PM
The background colors are too abrupt, Katherine. Some of the light would flow over the kittie.

But more importantly, I'm not understanding the cat's face. The viewer's right side of the face isn't there. The half moon section isn't reading well. I also think that the part of the cat closest to the grass would be a bit shadier.

ejtupi
12-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I agree with Dana on the abrupt change of background color. Also, it appears as if the dark green was added after the cat was painted, so the color of the background is intruding into the cat's fur. Might want to feather out the fur to knock back the background.

Some purple might work, but I'd have to see how it meets all that green. Perhaps in the areas where the cat needs a little bit of shadowing to tie it to the surface (grass?).... sort of appears to be floating above the ground...

This cat reminds me of mine after I stick that petrolatum anti-hairball stuff on his leg so he'll lick it off. I shouldn't laugh, but it's hilarious to watch him take forever cleaning the stuff off.

kathrynlovespets
12-02-2007, 06:34 PM
thanks ya'll for your very constructive criticism..I've been slacking off lately and figured this one was very slack-y looking

Dana Design
12-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Kathryn, I know you can turn this into a winner. Keep painting!

artforprofits.com
12-02-2007, 08:11 PM
That is a lovely artwork, very appealing. The only thing is that the left paw that the cat is licking seems to be a bit wrong and not a natural movement. Otherwise fantastic!!

kathrynlovespets
12-03-2007, 01:00 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2007/63261-peachesa.jpg

I don't know if it's really improved...i cant wait to get it out the door

Corby
12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Katherine, I really think that all it needed was a cool purple glaze. I marked the spots I glazed using only one value of purple... I think the only real problem...if it is for sell is that in works of that size the monotonous weave of those small boards is "deadly" These are best done on gessoed panels. Just a personal view...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2007/70790-cat.jpg

kathrynlovespets
12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
the purple glaze fitted nicely...and actually..i kinda like the little exes too ...they add sparkle!

MRSBB
12-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi Kathy......Nice job on the cat. The first one was kind of flat but now it pops
.I like working with acrylics in Co, but here in AZ it is so dry they are hard to work with even running a humidifier. .......Lenore

creodont
12-05-2007, 01:01 AM
The fur in the middle looks soft and warm. It looks real and one can almost see the fur go up and down when the peaches breaths. Check the shadow behind the arm dark with intense orange this and the shadow on the back leg help give peaches shape and form.........I like this painting. The cats I had when I was a little kid made nice pillows and every once in a while I would get swatted by the cats for lying down with them to take a nap to.

kathrynlovespets
12-08-2007, 03:36 PM
aaah if only we could lay on our cats like they were pillows...Thanks John

Steff
12-08-2007, 05:32 PM
I like the composition. I think the second rendering greatly improved it. But it still looks like it is floating above the grass. If you add a few blades of grass extending onto the paws and belly of the cat, I think it will help to ground him more.

Steff

kathrynlovespets
12-08-2007, 06:03 PM
thanks Steff, I think you're right (I thought about that as I was painting but was too lazy to actually do it!)