PDA

View Full Version : canyon

WaterMike
12-01-2007, 04:31 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-01-2007/82410_P1010001_edited.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: canyon
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 11 x 7.5 in
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
this is based on an exercise I did at a recent workshop (with Nick Simmons of WC fame). I'm just playing around really, but wonder if it works as a finished painting. I can't say this is real original - just wondering what anyone might think.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
does this look "finished"? What do you think of the colors?

Corby
12-01-2007, 08:03 PM
I would say that it is an unfinished painting...BUT...it is a complete statement. Nothing more need be said. (by the painting) And I think it is quite effective in presentation as well as its emotional quality. If I were there, I would be finding a place of shade and maybe a trickle of water. The color and atmosphere are promising a blast furnace of a day.

tsumeb
12-02-2007, 01:35 AM
I really like the whole idea you are trying to achieve with this simple watercolor. But I think one problem is that the red comes forward rather than receding into the distance. As a result, your perspective is sort of schizophrenic. If the red were actually cooled to a very light purple it might add to more effective aerial perspective. The light yellow wash on the left is quite effective in bringing the cliff forward. Also, I'm not sure the "blooming" on the right side helps the overall "dreamy" effect.

On the other hand, the sun and the sky glow are really good. I like when the paper shows.

D.W. Flint
12-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Leave it alone ! It's beautiful as it is. You start messing with it and it will be ruined.

WaterMike
12-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for your comments!