PDA

View Full Version : Hard Bottom Creek, Ontario

Mantema
12-01-2007, 04:27 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-01-2007/83911_Hard_Bottom_Creek,_Ontario001_(1971_x_1571).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Hard Bottom Creek, Ontario
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is x-posted in Landscapes, but I wanted to bring it before this jury. It's sort of faithful to the original, except the sky is a shade more powder blue on top.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The pathway between the trees and drainage channel has a definite bluish tint to it, like the sky. Would it improve the piece if the pathway were more a more earthly color? I don't have PhotoShop yet or I'd find out for myself. Also, any other comments are welcome.

Mantema
12-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Sorry, WC didn't pickup the pix.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2007/83911-Hard_Bottom_Creek,_Ontario001_1971_x_1571.jpg

kathrynlovespets
12-01-2007, 06:17 PM
this is a landscape worth saying something about

It's beautiful
I love your little dark grayish blue outlines here and there
the colors are so lovely

Yayagal
12-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Yes I think you should make that area in front of the trees richer earth tones deepening them as they approach the viewers eyes. You could add the blue after you've evaluated the outcome of the earthtones but personally I think it competes too much with the water. I love your trees and I really enjoy the painting. Well done! Yayagal

Corby
12-01-2007, 08:31 PM
very delicate, a nice evocation of early morning light. I am made uncomfortable by the fact that all of the lines from the cement wall and rail, from there over to the right, they all run downward and out of the picture. Some of them can be adjusted to help stop this uncomfortable sensation. The far ridge line can be softened on that end and blended out while at the same time leveling it off. It may be too much of a stretch to extend that far tree up to stop the movement. The orange strip of land by that far tree can be leveled out. The cumulative effect of these changes may interfere with the depth of the piece. The workup is rather clunky especially in color. It does give you a fair idea of what the path would look like. I like the thought of visually separating it from the concrete chasm. I neglected to cast a shadow across rthe path with those foreground trees, and the cement wall below the rail should be a darker shadowed value as well.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2007/70790-Creek.jpg

P.S. "The Gimp" is free and is ever bit as good as Photo Shop. Have a look at the tutorial on the main page here.

Mantema
12-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Thanks everyone for the time and input. I agree that the earth tones would work much better. I have a bad habit of leaning too heavily on my reference photo at times. My job didn't allow me a lot of time of do a plein air study--I grabbed a photo and went on my way. The only change that I have a problem making, Corby, is growing the far tree on the right to a height that exaggerates the perspective too much. If the tree were that tall, given the distance and the perspective from the rail, it would reach about 100 feet. I really do appreciate the comments. And thanks the tip about the "Gimp". I'll check it out.