Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x9.5
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Posted also to Animal/Wildlife forum.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does this painting funcion?<br>How should I have positioned the bird?

kathrynlovespets
12-01-2007, 12:35 PM
ooo very nice sky...looks like a storm is coming
to me, the bird knows something is about to happen and looks a bit apprehensive
he or she looks like a victim somehow....
interesting piece, I like it

bluegenes
12-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Well, I think this is very beautiful! Well painted, I like the sky and snow. I think I might have positioned the bird down a little bit, like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2007/31898-bird.jpg

What do others think?

Patty

Corby
12-01-2007, 01:19 PM
By lowering the bird to that spot he has been placed almost exactly on the "golden mean" which is the most attractive spot to the human eye. By virtue of that fact he also punctuates the line of trees in the same way, so it emphasizes this pleasing aspect. (I don't think the "G.M." needs to be measured, an approximation works as well) Also the pathway or frozen waterway again lead us to the bird. So it is a good repositioning in my view. The brushwork in the painting is very nice and the bird himself, all pouffed out as he is, proclaims the cold. Also that there is a small warm body somewhere in the midst of all those feathers. The palette is a simple blue/orange complimentary and works beautifully.

TScottDove
12-01-2007, 01:35 PM
I first thought of lowering the bird as well, but in the repositioned example it reads as a giant bird standing in a snow bank. I think I'd leave him where he is, but I might try the suggestion of another branch coming in from the right; maybe going behind the bird.
Agree that the palette and strokes are beautiful.

billmahler
12-01-2007, 02:04 PM
The painting functions quite well.

As others have said, the bird is not in an optimal position, but maybe it's not an optimal situation.

In its present position it's almost disconnected from the setting and that adds- as Kate said- apprehension, to the painting.

Definitely not just another pretty bird picture- I wish I could see and paint a sky that way.

I'd leave this one alone- it's striking, it's original, it tells a haunting story and it's a winner!

moscatel
12-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Thank you all for your comments!

Kathrynlovespets, I think the bird is he. A lady of this species has much less red color.
Bluegenes, thanks for showing me the better position. This gives me a lot think!
CorvusKorax, as you mention positioning the bird to a "golden mean" seems to be more attractive. Thanks for the complete critics and kind words.
TScottDove, yes, I was considering the brances too. Looks a bit weird with one tiny little branch only, doesn't it.
Billmahler, thank you so much! I think I leave this bird the way it is for now.

It was great to read comments from All of You!! Thanks!

Kiana Fecteau
12-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I think the bird's position is fine - it is still along the vertical golden mean. Also the stream leads to the bird in the original rendition and the line of trees lead to the stem which leads to the bird.

More branches coming in from the right would be a nice addition to the bird's setting.

moscatel
12-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks, Kiana, for your comment! I didn't notice before you mentioned but you are right about the tree line. It is helping too in the painting.

MRSBB
12-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Think this painting is fresh and bright and would cheer anyone's day. I like it just the way you painted it without any alterations. It sure made me smile when I saw it. Love the sky and colors...........Lenore

moscatel
12-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks for your kind words, MRSBB! I'm delighted!:)

belbibitt
12-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Like it very much. The bird seems alive! Colours are well chosen.

Wassie
12-02-2007, 04:26 AM
I like the bird where he is. Beautiful painting!

Grandis
12-02-2007, 06:08 PM
IF there was just one thing I would change about this composition its the shape of the cloud going behind the bird... it kinda muddies the shape of the bird. I like the way off mean positioning as it is - it adds a dynamic to the picture - the repositioned image kind of bores me but the original rocks!

artforprofits.com
12-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow, the representation of the weather and the cold is very realistic and very effective. I feel like rugging up just looking at the painting!!!

thomas w
12-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Great painting. I'd leave the bird where he is.
Thomas W

moscatel
12-04-2007, 03:51 AM
Thank you for your comments belbibitt, Wassie, Grandis, artforprofits.com and thomas w.
Thanks Grandis, I'll see what can I do with the cloud.:wave:

mooz49
12-04-2007, 04:30 AM
Beautiful painting Sirkka ....I love it .... :clap: :clap:

moscatel
12-04-2007, 04:50 AM
Thanks, Anne!:)

creodont
12-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Birds up in the mountains during the winter have that nice well fed plump look. This on is ready for winter. Not sure but the twig the bird is perched on looks detached between the feet. The only thing I could suggest is maybe a few other branches but not much to hide this beautiful, wonderful winter scene......John

allanom
12-05-2007, 12:02 AM
A very charming little painting. Love the paint application and high colours.

I actually questioned the bird's position before reading the rest of the thread. I vote for it to be higher!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2007/4031-winterBird2.jpg