PDA

View Full Version : Morning Feed Time

KCummings
11-30-2007, 04:38 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-30-2007/124556_Kelzon_and_Gunner.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mo<br>ing Feed Time
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Iím new to the site and both anxious and scared to put my work out here.<br><br>I painted this in about three or four hours from a photo I took a few years back of our horses. It was originally meant to be a bit foggy, but I went too dark and decided to go forward with it.<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any critique is welcome. Thanks!

D.W. Flint
11-30-2007, 05:23 PM
This is a very nice depiction of your horses. It has a nice painterly feel to it. The only thing I noticed was that there is a pretty dark shadow area on the horses, but no shadow on the ground. If there was, it might help anchor them a little more. Beautiful painting though, I love horses too...:thumbsup:

MRSBB
11-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi KC and welcome to Wet Canvas, I'm kind of new here myself but the critiques and help you can get from other artists is very helpful. I think you did a nice job with the horses, they are such beautiful animals. Is this your first painting? Would enjoy seeing more of your work..........Keep having fun..........Lenore

D.W. Flint
11-30-2007, 09:43 PM
KC, I forgot to welcome you. Did'nt notice you were new. Anyway,welcome to WC. It's great here with a lot of help and encouragement...This is a very nice depiction of your horses. It has a nice painterly feel to it. The only thing I noticed was that there is a pretty dark shadow area on the horses, but no shadow on the ground. If there was, it might help anchor them a little more. Beautiful painting though, I love horses too...:thumbsup:

thomas w
12-01-2007, 09:28 AM
This has a great painterly quality like Flintstyle said. The foreground and background work well together. The Horses are very well done especially the head on the front one. I would definately like to see more like this.
Thomas W

KCummings
12-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Thank you for your comments. It's a bit nerve racking to post your first painting.

I will readdress the shadows (or lack of them) on the ground. I was concerned about that as well, but didn't really look at it in detail.

teddyeyes88
12-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Hey KC! I'm new here myself =]

Did you use a palette knife to paint? It looks like it has some texture---I love that in paintings. I think you did a very good job. I agree with flintsyle, some shadow on the ground will help with the anchoring. It'll add to it =] Overall, it's a really nice piece--interesting to look at. I love the fluid movement of the (palette knife?) brush strokes =D

KCummings
12-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Hi teddyeyes88,

Actually I just used a brush. I haven't tried a palette knife but I see one in my future. I love a think texturized painting that is loose flowing. Thanks for you kind comments.