PDA

View Full Version : Donnerlittchen

Wassie
11-29-2007, 03:16 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-29-2007/102006_DeaSizedForWC.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-29-2007/102006_DonnerlittchenSizedForWC.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Donnerlittchen
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
This is a commissioned piece painted from a reference photo.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The painting is finished except that I would like to push the trees back more. How can I do this now? Would a glaze help? If so, what color glaze and what glazing medium to use.<br><br>Also, there is a line under the horse in the reference photo. On my monitor it looks green but when I printed the photo it was gray. Anyway, I can't tell if this is a shadow or what. If it is a shadow with the sun almost straight overhead, shouldn't there be a shadow under the fence? I don't see any other shadows in the reference photo. Should I add shadows where they don't exist in the reference photo?

Jim Updegraff
11-29-2007, 04:48 PM
What a lovely job of catching the sheen and flash of the horse’s hide and the subtle blues that hide in the shadows and angled light. The sense of forward movement is nice, too. Any criticism about conformation and draftsmanship is just nit-picking. It is the idea of a well groomed and well fed animal in movement that catches the eye. Well done.

artforprofits.com
11-29-2007, 09:37 PM
wow, you are an extremely skilled artist. The sense of movement is fantastic and the landscape in the background is absolutely breathtaking. I am sure that your client will be absolutely thrilled. The line underneath looks fantastic and regardless of whether or not it is a shadow it looks like it belongs there.

Wassie
11-30-2007, 02:03 AM
Jim and artforprofits, thank you sooo much for your comments. You have really given me a boost which was what I needed today.

ejtupi
11-30-2007, 02:35 AM
Actually, I think your background looks better than the background in the reference photo. It really makes that beautiful horse explode from the picture frame. Artforprofits was absolutely correct - you've created a spectacular setting for the tremendous horse and rider image.

By the way, your portraiture of the rider is fantastic. There's more life to her, more subtle lighting, than in the reference.

First rate work! Go collect the commission, and next time you should charge more (I have no idea what your fee is, but it's too low.... I just know it... the person who requested this is going to be ecstatic.)

Wassie
11-30-2007, 03:20 AM
Thank you, ejtupi! I am elated with the comments you've given my painting.

Tripod
11-30-2007, 03:36 AM
Hello Wassie, Jim put me on to your thread ref my problem/mental block on shadows for my dressage commission. We have different problems however but I think you have nailed this one. I think I may have resolved mine by PhotoShop the image, but waiting confirmation from someone in WC - Hopefully!

I think your black horse was easier than my chesnut to get right colourwise. My ref pic was taken indoors and no direct light, so I had to concoct a sunny day to suit the client, hence shadows dilemma. Such an elementary problem too.

Good luck.

Kiana Fecteau
11-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Your painting is beautifully done! The background is great as is with the colors and atmospheric technique you used. The line under the horse is its shadow. You have put in shadows under the rails of the fence. The shadow that the fence would cast onto the ground is hidden behind that lower white barrier so there's no need to add one in your painting. Nice job!

Kiana

moccasin
11-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Love the movement in this painting - well done!

One little nitpik, however ...

The pastern is too long on the leg on the far left of the pic, creating a shortened cannon bone between the hock and the fetlock. Easily fixed!!!

Also, the hind legs need a little more muscle mass at the tops - check your ref pic (okay, that's two little nitpiks :D)

Here's a reference for you : http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-3335.html

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Sue :heart:

TScottDove
12-01-2007, 01:54 PM
If you pushed the values of the rider and the horse - look how black the shadows are in the reference photo - this would really pop. The white of the pants and saddle (?) would be that much whiter, too.

Tripod
12-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Hello Wassie, funny how we working on something very similar.

Sue has given me some invaluable help too. I think TScottDave has a very solid point too about the values ref darks.

I am in the oils forum under title Horse and rider.

Wassie
12-02-2007, 04:37 AM
Love the movement in this painting - well done!

One little nitpik, however ...

The pastern is too long on the leg on the far left of the pic, creating a shortened cannon bone between the hock and the fetlock. Easily fixed!!!

You are right. I never noticed this before.