PDA

View Full Version : Sharon

bluewindfisher
11-29-2007, 01:49 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-29-2007/70598_2007030sharon.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sharon
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Colored Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 46 x 35cms
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my second try with Derwent Drawing Pencils.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would really appreciate any comments or feedback you may have. :)<br>Regards<br>Graham

La_
11-29-2007, 03:33 AM
sharon stone eh ... pretty good, recognizable and lively with personality ... i think you've aged her a bit so it's likely she won't purchase it ; )

the earings look a little bit cut and pasted, but i'm not sure what to do about that - can you soften the edges of colored pencil?

nice job : )

la

belbibitt
11-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Fantastic! I wish I could paint like that!

Corby
11-29-2007, 02:00 PM
I think it is beautifully done Graham, I would certainly be pleased to do portraiture as well! La mentioned looking older than she is...I don't know who the lady is or how old she is...here she looks like a woman who spends time in the sun, there is a perception of dryness in the skin and perhaps as the forms are composed of linear elements it adds a sense of age. Do you use a very sharp pencil and instead of using the point, lay it on the side of the lead? That gives very smooth non linear transitions where you need them, then you can go back in and add whatever needed amount of linear/textural detail. One other thing, this about color, to use a variable of one color can result in a leather mask like image. To break the various values up into different related hues overcomes this. These are things I know to be the case but I couldn't do them to save my life! The blue is an absolutely perfect foil for the portrait! Notice how nicely her earing on her left ear is anchored by the dark line of the cheek? If you suggest the lower portion of her right ear with a little heavier line, that earring too will assume its proper relationship with the head. The sense of sunlight in this is wonderful. I am hoping you are still doing your landscape as well....Good Painting Too You!

kathrynlovespets
11-29-2007, 03:54 PM
you need to soften the lines a bit, yes...also, the contrasts of her dark eyes and mouth against the skin give her a sort of macabre appearance

I love what you've done with the background

bluewindfisher
11-30-2007, 04:58 AM
La, Belbibitt, Corby and Kathryn, thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
I'll work on your ideas before Sharon visits for dinner next week. LOL.
Regards
Graham