PDA

View Full Version : Near The Bay

L'Artiste
11-28-2007, 03:58 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-28-2007/118574_near_the_bay.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Near The Bay
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
You all have given me good suggestions in the past, so I thought I would post another painting today. All feedback is welcome!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is the blue of the water too bright?

D.W. Flint
11-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Whatever suggestions you have received in the past have certainly borne fruit in this painting. I would'nt change a thing. It is beautifu as it is.:thumbsup:

Kiana Fecteau
11-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Oooooh! Beautiful! I like it just the way it is.

tony1
11-28-2007, 05:01 PM
This is just beautiful. I don't know if the blue of the water is too "bright" or just not reflecting the sky properly. Maybe it's too dark a blue, and needs more pinks, yellows, as we see in your sky. BUT I'm not sure about this. I only mention it because you ask about the blue water. I see some pink in there, so maybe it's the darkness of the blue.

Again, I like this a lot, don't know if I'd mess with it if it were mine. The id ground tree looks fantastic. The sky is great, nice light.

Colorix
11-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi, this is very sunny and beautiful. Love to see your use yellow for grass in sunshine.

Dont think the blue water is too bright, my guess is that it is reflecting the sky from above, and that would be very blue. In fact, the blue is *needed* to balance the painting, give it darkish areas and cool contrast to the warms.

You handled it very well, in most respects. There are a few nit-picks, though. But, I'm looking at a digital photo on a monitor, so what I see may not be what is there IRL, so with that in mind, I'd advice you to make the sunlit grass go successively, gradually, towards a pale pink, as it nears the line of trees. The reason is that yellow has a tendency to 'come forward', and you'd want the field to 'lie flat', which a pink and a light blue would do for it. I'd also soften the background line of trees where they meet the sky, make the tops a bit fuzzier, to keep them in the distance. And a third thing, some darker darks in the solo tree, in its shaded parts, to differentiate it from the background trees to the right. As grass is so boldly yellow, that tree could have some yellows in the sunlit branches.

I think your composition is good, the aerial perspective is fine, and the white-ish part in the sky between yellowish and blue is excellent (there is never any green there, but white-ish). Tree reflection is believable. A nice clear sunny warm glowing painting that is bold in colour and makes an impact.

Charlie

belbibitt
11-28-2007, 09:03 PM
I love your choice of colours especially the choice of yellow instead of green to represent the grass!

ejtupi
11-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Excellent suggestions and observations above. I would only add that you might want to see about trying to tie the edges of the grass on the left side of the painting more to the water (both foreground and midground). I think one way to do this is to run a thin line of darker color at the interface between grass and water to indicate a shadow or soil. Right now it appears that the grass is floating on top of the water.
Very nice touch with the pinpoints of sky showing through the distant trees, but you might consider blurring the edges a bit and reducing the brightness of the little spots of sky because the trees are looking a bit like paper cutouts and one-dimensional.
You've very effectively made the connection with the small embankment on the right side foreground soil where it meets the water.
Other than the very minor critiques, your picture is outstanding and the tree is beautiful - well placed in the composition. Great job. This picture must be very special when viewed in person.

TScottDove
11-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Too bright, too dark, too this, too that... Could some details be tweaked? Sure, but when the final piece is this beautiful, don't give anything a second thought. Gorgeous in all aspects.

MRSBB
11-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Just makes me wish I was there, so peaceful. I wouldn't change a thing, it's like a moment in time, captured forever.........Very nice, Lenore

thomas w
11-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Wow. This is really good. You did everything right with this one. I wouldn't change a thing. The blue and the yellow contrast each other perfectly. The paint application is truely remarkable. Simply beautiful.
Thomas W

billmahler
11-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Bingo!
Right on the nose.
I wish I could see those colors when I look at grasses and then have the courage to paint them if I could see them.
I'm working on something distantly like this right now, and this definitely emboldens me, so thanks!

Corby
11-29-2007, 02:19 PM
There is a "NorthLight" book entitled "Capturing Radiant Color in Oils" The directives are toward getting the scintillating beauty that we see in this excellent painting. The book is by Susan Sarback........hope I am not breaking a rule by "plugging it".

Colorix
11-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Sarback's revised version, "Capturing Radiant Light & Color In Oils and Soft Pastels" is excellent, and way more user-friendly than the first version.

Charlie

artforprofits.com
11-29-2007, 09:32 PM
What can I say, what an amazing and beautiful work. Don't change a thing.