PDA

View Full Version : seascape

eringaard
11-28-2007, 12:43 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-28-2007/124135_IMG_7028_(Small).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: seascape
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 60 cm x 45 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hi everyone ! <br><br>I am new to this site and want to post my painting here on critique forum.<br><br>i painted it in one day using the wet on wet tech.<br><br>I really like doing seascapes but its not that easy.<br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please feel free to commment on everything! <br><br>

La_
11-28-2007, 01:07 PM
oh my goodness - that central wave is beautiful!

the foreground rocks, well, not so much beautiful there - they take my eyes away from that wave

welcome to WC! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your works!

la

November Sky
11-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Yes - it's clear that wave is where you spent your time. It is so transparent - and beautifully done.

billmahler
11-28-2007, 01:39 PM
When I saw your title, I thought, YAPS (Yet Another Pretty Seascape), but was I wrong!
I'm so glad I looked.
The fresh coloring and lighting and the fine brushwork do it for me, I think.
Welcome to WC!

Candices_Creations
11-28-2007, 01:51 PM
The fluidity of the water and the waves are excellent in this painting! I love to paint water and the way you captured that wave is wonderful. Perhaps, a little texture on the sand would help...just a minor thought...the painting is wonderful as it is. Thank you for sharing your work.

Kiana Fecteau
11-28-2007, 02:53 PM
My first thought was "Beautiful!" The water is fantastic, so translucent! I agree with La that the rocks could use some work - maybe some highlights for more texture. Lightening them might make them less dominant.

mariahrt
11-28-2007, 05:56 PM
I have one word...WOW... That is a beautiful seascape. Your wave has such reality to it. I can smell the salty air. Great job. Love to see more of your work.

TScottDove
11-28-2007, 10:35 PM
I agree that the rocks in the foreground are distracting, as are some of the dark areas under the foam. I would probably lose them altogether, and let the foreground be all white foam.
Also, the falling portion of the central wave to the far left makes a too defined square. I'd break that up some.

ejtupi
11-28-2007, 11:00 PM
The colors in the wave are gorgeous, especially with the translucence you've achieved. Only real problem I have with this picture is that the wave appears to be too big and to be breaking with too much force this far onto the beach. Otherwise, very pretty and exciting picture.

eringaard
11-29-2007, 02:13 AM
Hi !,

Thnks so much for all your critique.i am planning to work on the rocks later on this week.I dont think i would loose all rocks but i will try to paint it less distracting.And maybe some little texture on the sand.

once again : thnks !

It is lovely to meet you all here in WC !!

bluewindfisher
11-29-2007, 02:47 AM
The wave is awesome Erin. :)
You might like to look in on the Wet Canvas marine forum. You will be really at home there and the people are very talented at seascapes.
Incidentally, there was a thread recently which concentrated on rocks. LOL.
Regards
Graham

artforprofits.com
11-29-2007, 10:58 PM
That is one of the best paintings of a wave I have ever seen although there does seem to be something missing. Maybe some clouds in the sky would give a little more energy and emotion to the work. Fantastic job though!!

randalljazz
11-30-2007, 03:41 PM
The colors in the wave are gorgeous, especially with the translucence you've achieved. Only real problem I have with this picture is that the wave appears to be too big and to be breaking with too much force this far onto the beach. Otherwise, very pretty and exciting picture.

have you never bodysurfed sandy beach on oahu? six footers, straight on to dry sand!

Continental
11-30-2007, 04:46 PM
The wave is very beautiful and extremely well done. This painting could stand alone even without the foreground rocks. I love the subtle color of the wave with the sunlight penetrating it. :thumbsup:

Corby
11-30-2007, 08:22 PM
I find the blue area behind the wave to be out of harmony. If it is a view of ocean in back, the angle of the waves seem inconsistent with the breaking wave in front and the color is really unrelated as well. It comes rushing brightly towards us whereas it should be hanging back. The rocks are fine except for placement. They dont look natural. They are like laid out stepping stones and there could be a greater presence. The wave itself?...gorgeous!

bypick
12-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi Marcel,
Thank you for the invitation to view your seascape here. I really enjoy seeing how others approach their work with the sea. There are some wonderful things about this piece that have already been mentioned. The fluidity and motion are strong in your work...the eye is never allowed to rest. This is one of the marks of a good painting. No one likes to view oceans that are "frozen" on the canvas. The sweep of the brushwork from the foreground foam up into the breaking wave and the curl of the breaker is what gives that dynamic. You have done very well with the blend of the transparency. That's a sticky point with some....finding it hard to go from the light at the top to the dark solid body of the wave without a sharp break in color. I like the solid foam sweeping up into the start of the break at the right.

Now, for critique, I believe you need to slow down a bit. It's a temptation to hurry a piece and get it on Wetcanvas for everyone to see and there does seem to be the old "a fast painting is a good painting," syndrome that forces us into quick brushwork. Don't be afraid to plan your work well in advance. Search for images to study the sand and beach as well as the formation of the breaking wave.

The wave in your painting is dynamic, but it loses it's strength in the break at the left. I feel as if you were hindered there by the lack of canvas to extend the foamburst. It might help to choose a longer canvas format or plan the breaker in advance. It has been noted that the rocks are a problem. They are to even in size and too small for the majesty of the piece. Work on color unity in your painting. You have traversed the hues from blue background to brown sand with little reflection. Bind the hues together with reflections and perhaps a more unified color in the waves and breaker.
All this is my opinion, of course. :)

OK, having said all that, you have done wonderfully well with your painting. You should be proud of your efforts. We'll look forward to more of your works.

Highest regards,
Byron