PDA

View Full Version : What would you ask a North Light Author?

gingerjane
11-28-2007, 10:40 AM
I am currently in the process of setting-up some Author Q&A's for the site and I wanted to compile a list of basic questions -from you, the Wet Canvas Members - for our authors.

It can be anything art related, inspirational, etc. Have you ever thought to yourself "I wonder what inspired them to do this book" or "How does one go about writing an acrylic painting title" - now is your chance!

I will also work on setting up more "live" thread chats, but for now, ask away!

Ginger

gingerjane
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Now come on! I know that my fellow artists are chatty! Is there anything that you would like to know?

bluefish
12-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Ginger

If you're looking for a good book, go to Pastels and see the thread by Donna Albridge discssing Pan Pastels - it's nine pages long now with additions everyday - it would make a great book!

'bluefish':thumbsup:

gingerjane
12-12-2007, 12:46 PM
No, actually I have an author that wants to do a chat - or she can do an Author Q&A but I need some questions. Would you prefer a live thread chat or just some Q&A's that she answers???

idylbrush
12-12-2007, 03:48 PM
what medium?

gingerjane
12-12-2007, 03:52 PM
It's Watercolor - that's the first author. :)

Lady Carol
12-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Wouldn't this be a question to ask the watercolour people?

Here are a few anyway...
How do you get a smooth graduated wash?
How do you use salt to generate patterns? How wet the paper, how long to leave the salt on the colour, etc?

JamieWG
12-23-2007, 10:33 AM
For any medium, things I always like to know are technical questions:

How many colors are on your palette? What are they? Why did you choose them?

What is your favorite support for this medium and why?

Do you underpaint with something different, or go right in with local color?

Do you always do a value sketch before painting? Do you do a smaller color study before embarking on a large work?

What brushes do you use, and for which stages of the painting?

How do you determine when a work is "finished"?

Do you ever have trouble choosing a subject?

And if they are willing to discuss it: What do you feel have been the most effective ways of marketing your work?

Hope that helps!

Jamie