PDA

View Full Version : RGB to Color Name? AND a very good Trick

marsias
11-28-2007, 02:16 AM
Hello.

I read here in a Thread if you take a Picture from Reflib and do a Postorize (level 5) in Photoshop you see all colors clearly appears on the Picture!

This Trick are very fantastic:clap:.

If i go with the mouse over a color i see the RGB and CMYK numbers.

Is anywhere a software or in Internet, if enter the rgb or cmyk numbers so i have the COLOR NAME??:lol:

I have found many Sites where are the RGB and CMYK numbers with the color name BUT i must search the complete Site every time.

thanks.

Geoff
11-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi, and welcome.

Have you looked at this tool ?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/colormixer/

Pat Isaac
11-28-2007, 08:29 AM
This is a very cool tool.....

Pat

annepropst
11-28-2007, 08:57 AM
What is reflib?

LJW
11-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Anne, Wet Canvas has a Reference Image Library full of photos for us to use for paintings. It's the last entry under the Content Areas drop-down menu on the top of the page. I'm assuming that is what Marsias is referring to. Jane

LJW
11-28-2007, 10:59 AM
I don't know of any source for providing a colour name from the RGB numbers - I'm not sure it's possible. But there is a program called Artellmedia which analyzes a photo in terms of hue, value, and chroma, and keys these to colour and value charts. It allows you to print out pages separating the colour areas and the value areas. You can download a free trial to see if it's of any benefit to you, from www.artellmedia.com. I tried it and found it interesting, but decided that my Corel Painter software eyedropper and colour triangle, which shows hue, value and saturation, gave me enough information for my purposes. Jane

AnnieA
11-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Marsias: I've used the eyedropper tool before (in PS and other image editing programs), and it can be useful in editing digital images. I'm curious though, about why you're looking for RGB and CYMK values.

Many art materials manufacturers are now giving the Color Index numbers. Each pigment used in art materials (and in other color applications) is given a unique identifying number. PB 29, for instance, stands for Ultramarine Blue. You can often find the number right on the paint tube or OP, which I find helpful. Would that give you the information you need?

Carey Griffel
11-28-2007, 03:10 PM
It sounds like you're trying to find exact pastels that will correspond to the numbers in Photoshop. I'm afraid that's not possible. For one, different manufacturers can use the same pigments and come out with different colors that behave very differently. For another, there is no set rule--many pigments are called the same thing in different brands. (For instance, in oils the burnt sienna in Windsor and Newton is nothing like the burnt sienna in different brands. And many different colors come from the "same" PR101.) So finding some list of color names is going to be subjective at best, anyway. (Someone will call one color maroon while another person will call it burgundy. Lime green can easily be called candy apple green or some will confuse it with mint. Etc.)

On a personal level, trying to match up your painting *exactly* with the photo will only give you as good of results as your photo. If you want your work to look like a photo, then I guess this isn't a problem, but if you want something a little more realistic or personal, then it would be a problem. But that's something each individual artist decides.

~!Carey

marsias
11-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Hello.

I try to be closer to each color used in a foto which can i use for the paint.

If a color for example called White or Titan white both are still White and nothing else and have the RGB(255,255,255) value.

Lime green and candy apple have still the same RGB value or not?

The exact name of a color is not important but the color itself which i can use to match the foto.

thanks.

LJW
11-29-2007, 03:07 PM
You could also look at Einion's response in this thread in the Colour Mixing Forum:

www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460389

Jane

Qarma
12-15-2007, 08:38 AM
You can get the color's name (exact or approximate) by writing the RGB:

http://chir.ag/phernalia/name-that-color/

Pat Isaac
12-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks, great site.

Pat

Qarma
12-15-2007, 08:46 AM