PDA

View Full Version : Neopastel or Sennelier?

udlamjo
11-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I am new to oilpastels and to wetcanvas

I have purchase one neopastel Caran D'Ache 12 Assorted
and one Sennelier 12 Assorted set to decide which bigger set
to buy. the only two brands of artist grade in my artstore have.

96 neopastel full set or Sennelier 120 Complete Set in Wood Box?

I can only afford one of them , i have tested them little and i like
them both i still can't decide:confused: . i want experts on oilpastels opinion i know
many prefer Sennelier but i think neopastel is good to.

thankful for help

Mikael :)

BeckyMc
11-27-2007, 04:51 PM
I have all of the OP brands - including the giant Senneliers. I think if you're just starting out, the Caran d'Ache would be a better choice, both for the price and the ease of use. I'm not much in favor of paying extra for wooden boxes, either.... I do have several of those lying around now - maybe someday I'll find a use for them.

LJW
11-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Welcome to the Oil Pastel forum. :wave: I have both. I started with Senneliers and added Caran d'Ache later. I find the Senns blend better than the Caran d'Ache for me, so I would choose on the basis of your style. Do you layer a lot without blending or do you like to blend layers together with a colour shaper? Jane

Paulafv
11-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Senn.

Eggy
11-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Without any hesitation: Sennelier. To be frank, after years of using other brands, I am now sticking with these marvellous oil pastels.

Kind regards,
Eggy

Pat Isaac
11-28-2007, 08:33 AM
I also have both and added the Caran D'ache later. It really does depend a lot on how you work with the OPs. I personally prefer the Senns for their blendability and softness.

Pat

AnnieA
11-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Mikael: Welcome to the OP Forum! :wave:

It really does depend a lot on your style and the sorts of paintings you want to do. I really love my Senns for their softness and the painterly effects I can achieve with them - and their beautiful color range is a big plus too. OTOH, if you like to do more detailed, realistic work, the Caran d'Ache may work better for you, as it's much easier to detailed work with a little bit harder OP. I don't have any Caran d'Ache myself, but I've read that they have some especially good darks.

Let us know what you decide and I hope you'll post some of your work. :)

udlamjo
11-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the advice :wave:

I have never used op before except in school a long time ago
i usualy work in soft pastel.

but get very inspired of all great artists in this forum
and i wanna try out op

I think i gonna purchase the Sennelier 120 Set the difference in price is small only 153 kr (24$)

and buy the Neopastel in the future when i can afford it

Mikael