PDA

View Full Version : SW ART? - Maybe - The Shaman

Quicktiming
11-27-2007, 04:32 PM
I had envisioned this as a sort of pre-columbian native shaman. The background of the piece features SW type petroglyphs, though they are subtle and don't show well at this size (the original is 36x24 in.) On the original the petroglyphs are also enhanced using gloss medium, which makes them pop when the light hits them just right, but keeps them obscured. It changes the look of the paintings as you move around it.

Anyway, though it might also be a prehistoric shaman anywhere, I've been told it has a SW flavor so I'm making it my first contribution to this forum (long-time lurker, first-time poster in the South West forum).

What do ya'll think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2007/107603-107603-2063160874_c2216111f5_b.jpg

Trilby
11-28-2007, 07:56 PM
I think I like it---a lot! I especially like the reds and blues. I like the sense of being in a sacred cave.
TJ

Barbara Art
11-29-2007, 09:51 PM
This is an exciting painting, Clifford! The primary colors surrounding the shaman give him a powerful presence. The only thing I'm not sure about is the use of the petroglyph images. They seem almost to be an afterthought and not really related to the shaman. Well, except for the handprint, which almost deserves its own thread! That blue on the multicolor background is fabulous and could stand for the shaman's influence on his world or even for your own signature on the painting. The other images take away from this powerful effect, IMO, as they seem sort of arbitrary. Just my 2 cents. This must be even more amazing IRL, as it's probably about life-size. :thumbsup:
Barbara

Quicktiming
11-29-2007, 11:55 PM
... The other images take away from this powerful effect, IMO, as they seem sort of arbitrary. Just my 2 cents. This must be even more amazing IRL, as it's probably about life-size. :thumbsup: Barbara
Thanks. I did try to make the petroglyphs somewhat random, though I've used gloss medium to as a way to both obscure and make them pop. Its a very neat affect, but doesn't translate to the picture very well. Its almost like an animated element that's been trapped in a single frame.

Its quite large as well, and that doesn't translate to the web. Something that's always bothered me about posted images. Its hard to imagine scale.

James D. Johnson
12-02-2007, 10:38 AM
I like it !! It has an ethereal feel to it, an other worldly effect, which is what Shamans are all about. I like the color construction here and the use of the ancient (mastadon?) tusks. The hand print seems perfectly at home to me.
Nice Work !!
Jim

boomerbeach
12-10-2007, 07:22 PM
How sweet 'tis!!