PDA

View Full Version : Room to let

belbibitt
11-27-2007, 01:55 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-27-2007/60594_Room_to_let.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Room to let
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Too much blue ?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comment

mariahrt
11-27-2007, 02:41 PM
I really enjoy this painting. It makes me feel the coolness of the air. Personally I feel the air is quite crisp, I think the blueness in the sky makes it feel like that. I would lighten the sky just a tad more but that is only my opinion. Nice painting. Love it.

I would also include a chimney with some nice fresh smoke coming out of it would really draw me in to the house.... something to consider.:thumbsup:

Smoker
11-27-2007, 02:43 PM
belbibitt,

I really like the pencil box house. (That's what they call them around here.) On such a cold day it looks very inviting!!

The objects in your picture are well painted and formed However,...

You have a shadow on the roof overhand to the right of the main house. However, there is none on the front porch or extending from the big tree in the front yard. The small trees behind the house also have no shadows.

Further, the big tree in the front yard indicates that the sun is coming from the left since it is hi-lighted on the front left. The shadow on the porch on the rear of the house shows the sun coming from the right.

It appears that a path has been shoveled or plowed up to the front porch. There is no shadow indicating bright sunlight.

Rather than being too blue, as dark as the sky is, I'd say there is too much white.

Those are my impressions. Since I am really new to the art world, I'd wait for confirmation from the more knowledgeable painters before I made any decisions based on what I've written.

None-the-less, your painting is really impressive and inviting.

Smoker

belbibitt
11-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Too much white ? You mean on the snow ? The sun is in fact coming from the right and if you look again at the big tree, you'll see more light coming from the right on the upper part. As for the path, I should had more sunlight I agree. Thank you

Corby
11-27-2007, 06:49 PM
The composition of this is very nice, it reveals a beautiful setting, one can see across open hillside to the forest beyond and the two trees work nicely although I dont care for the one being pollarded. It would read better being branchy. The house has character, I like it. I did this workup really quickly, the reason being just to show that snow scenes need not be white. They can be much more varied and have greater interest if color is used. For this particular scene to truly work snow shapes would have to be emphasized. Nonetheless you can (I hope) see the added appeal color gives.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2007/70790-Room.jpg

belbibitt
11-27-2007, 08:18 PM
It gives a complete different and interesting look but all that yellow diminishes the cold impression I wanted to show in that painting. Thank you for your interest.

kathrynlovespets
11-27-2007, 09:04 PM
fun and colorful
This would make a memorable christmas card
it has a cozy feel to it because of the road leading up and around to the left
it's a friendly little house at the end of a road

MRSBB
11-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi Belbibitt.........I like the house and snow scene. If it was mine I might add a couple of kids walking down to the barn (with or without a sled) to add a little more interest to the painting. Also if that is a porch cover above the front door and light is from the right, maybe some shadow above the 2 front windows. As Kate said, this would make a nice christmas card. Nice.................Lenore

graymare
11-28-2007, 05:50 PM
when i first saw this, i thought watercolor, because of the softness. i too like the cool crispness of the blue.i'm from michigan so i know crisp!