PDA

View Full Version : Guerilla Cigar Box

boomerbeach
11-27-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm still considering opting toward purchase of a small pochade box and noticed this current sale offering from Dick Blick on the Guerilla Cigar Box @ $49.95 (normally $69- + about $15- for optional insert holders for smaller boards.
Seems like a quality rig and "holds two wet 8x10 boards"
Anybody have one and care to comment?:wave:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz032/90/

Mike Finn
11-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Looks nicely made Boomer.... Probably be a bit of a pain for knife painting though, having the panel recessed so much... but maybe a bit of minor carpentry could fix that :)

Mike Finn

Richard1
11-30-2007, 10:22 PM
I suspect that you will need to add adjustable lid supports so that you will be able to secure the lid as far back as you wish and check to see if the lid will go back more than 90 degrees. If not, you may need to make some adjustments with the hinges or bevel the matching box edges closest to the hinges, but this is no big deal.

Another suggestion would be to plan on cutting another palette with a much smaller hole nearer to an edge to maximize paint mixing space. It can simply rest in the box while you are painting and the hole would be in a better location. The present one will not make the holding of it comfortable and it is in the wrong location for putting your brushes to rest. Again, this is no big deal. I usually have to adapt my painting equipment somewhat as it is designed presumably by people who do not paint.

boomerbeach
12-09-2007, 03:30 PM
I am in receipt of the Guerrilla "Cigar Box" and am quite smitten with the quality and efficiency of the unit!
First, the lid does go back about 10+ degrees from vertical, however, somewhat short .. Easily rectified with a magazine under the front while used on a table or slight tilt of a tripod.
The optional board inserts for 5x7 & 6x9 boards are really kool(!!) and, the unit holds 2 wet boards of these or 8x10" when closed with 3/4 clearance over palette board with paint remaining! (There appears to be a optional "sta-wet" type 9x12" palette which fits internally). Also a 9x12 board fits the inside top closely. I observe it would be easy to use larger boards just placed on the top with various ways to secure it.
The unit is a very solid 3.5lbs and bottom depth easily holds a dozen mid-size paint tubes, brushes & knives, turp & oil and more. However, when loaded and placed on tripod mount the unit does waver a bit (emptying out a bit helps). Interestingly, when the top lid comes down it rests on the palette board, thus keeping it from warping.
This unit was a steal and I purchased 8 new Liquitex knives which are VERY light, feature resin "grip" handles and some fine design elements .. better than the Italian ones.
All this for about $87- including shipping and $10- off through a Dick Blick "net" coupon (+ $20- off retail on the box).
While the home-made cigar box I made weeks ago is workable, I find the nominal funds in this new production pochade box well invested. It fits in a small backpack I nearly discarded last year.
I highly reccommend this unit.
boomerbeach in SoCal

Bravura
12-10-2007, 03:38 PM
I got the 12x16, 9x12 and 6x8 pochade boxes from Guerilla and they are all great quality, I would expect the same for your cigar box.

I recommend keeping one with you wherever you go, in the car, on vacation etc. Keep a really basic palette, like Scott L. Christensens 3 color palette, and your basic supplies. You will be ready to attack whenever you have an extra hour....paint from the car anywhere! Have fun!

MChesleyJohnson
12-10-2007, 03:55 PM
I love my 9x12 Guerrilla Painter box.

mr.wiggles
12-15-2007, 10:43 PM
I bought one and I don't like it at all. The main problem is that the panel holder is recessed inside the lid. This creates a cast shadow and is anoying.
They should have designed it with a hinged top so you can flip it open.
I have thought of doing this but it could ruin the box so I wont.
I have used it a couple of times and it's not for me.

I have a small OBM 10 x 12 inch box and this is much better, more money as well but it's more versitile.

wa_stone
12-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Same here. Used it for about a month. the cast shadow drove me nuts, with no way to adjust the angle of the box. I also thought of cutting top off, but decided to maybe sell the box. The panel holders rattling with every brushstroke was also annoying, plus the recess made it uncomfortable getting in for knifework. Wood is not very great. Box looks "made in china", ie. not your usual guerilla painter "bullet proof".On the plus side it is rock solid on a tripod, and is a convenient size, perfect for winter in the car.

Btw very nice work on website Mr. Wiggles.

drjohn71a
12-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Those interrested in the usefulness of the Guerilla cigar box item ought to ask Judsen Plein Air (the maker) for their small catalog. I think it was the last one that lists each size box and it's weaknesses and strengths.

I do own the heavier 6x8, 9x12, and 12x16 boxes and was considering getting the smaller 8x10 cigar box, but I don't think the base unit is deep enough for the 1 5/8 " tall paint bottles I'm using.

'Just mentioned that the 8x10 is listed in maker's catalogue as a more limited application box than their other units which are all huge, robust, and more widely applicable to a variety of situations. Howeever - they are bigger, heavier... etc.. So a quick, laptop, 8x10 model might be a good choice for car painting, etc..

John

Sarah Judson
12-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks drjohn.
We appreciate everyone's feedback.
The Cigar Box was designed to be an "entry level" pochade box, very basic and inexpensive while still having the ability to carry everything you might need.
The panels are recessed in the lid so that they won't touch the paint on the palette (or a covered palette).

boomerbeach
12-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Some additional comments on the "cigar box" which I got around to using last week and some previous comments by others already posted:
First, I did not assume this very nominally priced $50- Guerrilla unit as being the solution to every need! It is not an $400-+ OBM!
Contrary to the comment that, "Box looks 'made in china' .. not your usual guerrilla painter 'bullet proof'"; while the box is made of different wood, it is VERY stong. I believe minor problems with "panel holders rattling" can be alleviated with some adjustment on the metal clips, and/or some duct-tape wrap addition at pressure points.
I used the unit while doin' some PA at Crystal Cove, north of Laguna, last Sunday. The unit did wobble a bit on my photographic tripod (I understand my plastic release mount may be cause).
Yes, "box shadow" is something to work with and the unit is "tight for knife painting".
However, the "cigar .." is so compact and holds so much stuff! It is a delight to use at home for mini-works and oils stay relatively fresh for a few days when closed up. I would like to try the optional sta-wet style "covered palette tray" in this regard, it appears to be a replacement for the wood palette and fits for retention in the unit (?). Local SoCal art stores do not stock this unit or many accessories.
It is really KOOL that the unit will hold two wet paintings with clearance off a paint loaded palette ... And still fits in a small backpack!
boomerbeach in SoCal

Sarah Judson
12-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks, boomerbeach.
Regarding the shadow on the painting, it might work better to position the box so that the painting isn't in the sun.

MChesleyJohnson
12-20-2007, 02:55 PM
I'll always love my Guerrilla Painter boxes. As for the shadow, you're right, Sarah! It's always best to have shade on both panel and palette. Strive for this, and there won't be any shadow! :)

mr.wiggles
12-23-2007, 04:58 PM
The shadow issue is always there. It does not matter if one is in the sun or not.
I don't paint in direct sun anyway, you can't see values correctly if had to I would use a white umbrella to defuse the light.

The cast shadow is from the recessed aspect of the box which could be helped by the upper lid being hinged. I have a work around for it, I am going to attach a piece of thin plywood to the inside of the lid. Tha way I can attach a panel to the box with out this happening.
I'll lose the panel holder and I can live with that. other than that I thinks it's well made with this minor design problem,(hint, hint...)
As for the palette knife issue I never had that problem myself.

On a side note I have a smaller hand held thumb box(6.5 in x 8 in) that was made by a painter/woodworker years ago. It holds two small thin panels and there is no problem with a cast shadow because the top is notched to accommodate the panels.