PDA

View Full Version : New Work - The Diver (Polar Bear)

Quicktiming
11-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Its been a while, but I've finally managed to complete some new work. Seems like ages. I hate it when "real life" gets in the way of my painting. Makes me tense and short tempered.

Anyway, a new polar bear (I really love bears). Once again, I've decided to do something odd (Really, Cliff? How unexpected!). Underwater, shades of blues, no use of real white at all.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2007/107603-2067224293_12ea4d7cde_b.jpg

aRt4us
11-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I like, love the way each brush stroke plays a part in producing image.
Cool blue
Gary

flyfisherflyfisher1
11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Nice work Cliff! Good to hear from you.
Pete

Ceci
11-27-2007, 01:38 PM
its great. The only problem is i feel like moving a bit back and looking at it from further away. Maybe its because it should be in a museum wall where you can get back and admire it more.
ceci

Quicktiming
11-27-2007, 03:16 PM
I like, love the way each brush stroke plays a part in producing image.

Thanks, Gary.

I've been paying a lot of attention to Larry's posts on working with very deliberate brush strokes. Balanacing this with my paint-slinging, arm-swinging approach is challenging, but exciting. While I'm not counting every stroke, I'm facinated by how little we really need to do to clearly communicate the subject.

PatrickHedges
11-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Once again, I've decided to do something odd (Really, Cliff? How unexpected!).
Odd? You? Never :lol:

A good kind of 'odd' at least :lol:

Love it Clifford. Uniquely you!!

SunsetSue
11-28-2007, 04:14 AM
You have achieved a very 'cool' bear! Nice job!

Ceiliog
11-28-2007, 08:30 AM
I would replace the word odd with interesting - really nice to see something a bit more than the posed portrait that many of us choose to do

FaeLynn
11-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Very nice approach, I love the blues. lol that's funny me saying that since I just got diagnosed with clinical depression lol
keep up the good work!

jody007
11-28-2007, 09:15 AM
its great. The only problem is i feel like moving a bit back and looking at it from further away. Maybe its because it should be in a museum wall where you can get back and admire it more.
ceci

I agree with what Ceci said above! I really love it!
Jody

Quicktiming
11-28-2007, 08:23 PM
I agree with what Ceci said above! I really love it!
Jody

Thanks. I've often though that some of my pieces should be seen from as far away as possible. :-)

Seriously, though. With the looseness of the way I work, standing back does tend to bring everything together a bit more. I try not to blend too much, let the viewer's eye do that. The colors seem purer that way, less muddied. Pigments blend with chemistry, the eye blends with light.