PDA

View Full Version : Teaching my six year old to draw... wanna see???

jyvonne
11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Last week, my 6 year old son, Josiah, asked me to teach him how to be an artist. The first thing I did was drew a simple cartoon figure and flipped it upside down and told him to copy it. It was amazing how well he drew when he drew upside down. It made him copy much more carefully instead of leaning on his "knowledge" of the shapes of eyes, noses, etc...

So today he wanted to learn how to draw more. So I pulled a photograph of an eagle off the wall and plopped it down upside down in front of us. I showed him a blending stump and had him outline the main shape with it instead of using a "hard line". (Later, he tried to outline it anyway with a hard line, but oh well...:rolleyes: ) Then we talked about finding shapes of shadow and curves. We dashed the pencil leads across the paper... then used our erasers to scrub out the marks and then look for "hidden feathers" in the shadows that remained. When we found them, I tried to show him how to define them.

A six year old's attention span is about 20 minutes to half an hour, so we had to work fast. He did his best feather discovery on the darker part on the left side of the picture. As he progressed to the other side of the drawing, he was becoming a bit more impatient and needed more redirection. Still, after we were done, he flipped the picture right side up and was really pleased with how it turned out. He did a few little adjustments... added some shading on the beak with the blending stump... and proudly signed his work.

So I am posting both of our quick sketches. They took 20-30 minutes. This is Josiah's first try drawing from a photograph, and considering he's just 6 years old, I don't think he did half-bad... do you????

Thanks for looking...
Jyvonne

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2007/43486-nov26_003.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2007/43486-nov26_008.jpg

DrDebby
11-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Wish I'd had a parent like you when I was little. Josiah's doing great. Keep us posted.

jyvonne
11-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Thank you Dr. Debby for saying I'm doing a great job. I wanna be an artist someday. Did you like to draw when you were little?

From
Josiah:wave: :) :cat: :heart: :angel: :music: :clap: :wave: :lol: :) :D :cool: :thumbsup: :clap: :wave:

Cainey
11-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Wow that is impressive well done Josiah.

jyvonne
11-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Thank you Cainey. Nextime I think I will try to draw a apple, carrots, and a super hero on a dragon.

From
Josiah:) :rolleyes: :clap: :thumbsup: :cool: :angel: :lol: : ;) :wave: :o :eek: :music: :heart: :cat: :wave:

Continental
11-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Keep him drawing and he will be amazing by middle school.

cmwynn
11-26-2007, 06:19 PM
I also wish I had had some instruction earlier in my life. Maybe I was too impatient but the basics will always helpful. Love your sketch, very good for 20 minutes. Josiah is on the right track, asking for help and coming up with something recognizable. Lots of adults wouldn't even try.

Stoy Jones
11-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey Josiah, :wave: way to go! :clap: For your age, you did a fantastic job. Keep up the great work! Practice a lot, but keep it fun!

Stoy

KensBrush
11-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Josiah, that was wonderful... I would love to see more drawings from you.

When I was little I learned how to draw from a Jon Gnagy Learn to draw set that my Mom got me as a present. That was a lonnnng time ago but I still have the original book.

You have a LOT of talent little man!!!! Keep drawing.

Printmakerguy
11-26-2007, 11:06 PM
That's a GREAT eagle... You certainly have talent- KEEP PRACTICING! I used to draw a lot when I was your age, but it was usually with crayons on the wall :)

-Andrew

joane
11-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Josiah, this is a very good drawing for your very first--don't do as I did and let your drawing practice slide--I started when I was your age by copying cartoons from the Sunday funnies--wish I had had a Mom who could help me like your is helping you.Best wishes!

snoball
11-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Josiah! You go boy! Most 6 year olds are drawing stick figures and here you are turning out artwork. If someone had shown me the drawing without the story I would have thought it was drawn by someone much much older. Keep up the drawing and you will pass mommy. :D

jyvonne
11-27-2007, 08:05 PM
You are all nice for saying those things. I'll draw some more sometime.:cat: :angel: :D
from
JosiaH:music: :heart: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :wave: :clap:

aaces
11-28-2007, 12:38 AM
Little Dude....YOU ROCK!!!!!
Just a word of advice....
NEVER DRAW A FULL SIZE SUPERMAN ON YOUR CLOSET DOOR WITH A PERMANENT MARKER!!!!!
Parents really freak if you do!!:D
(Even if it turns out really really awesome)

Great Job!!!! Keep on drawing....Keep on having fun!!!!
Can't wait to see more!

gymnopedie
11-28-2007, 12:45 AM
That looks like fun :) Brings back memories of my mom sitting with me, drawing something for me to color in, then later going to art lessons :)

Definitely try some pastels... i LOVED those when I started lessons when I was 8/9 years old. Crayon sized, so they're easy to hold, and they make a fun colorful mess.

Calendars, old animal magazines (ranger rick, national geographic covers?)... I used those a lot when I sat in my teacher's basement once a week.

DrDebby
11-28-2007, 06:07 PM
I tried to draw when I was little Josiah, but I wasn't very good and there was no one to teach me how to do things. So, I waited till I was very old (49) to learn to draw. In fact my first attempt was about like yours. Keep on drawing and you will be amazing.

Debby

visualmusic
11-29-2007, 11:22 AM
You are doing great ! I think you will be quite good if you practice as often as you can!

Keep it up mom!

Julie

jyvonne
11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Little Dude....YOU ROCK!!!!!
Just a word of advice....
NEVER DRAW A FULL SIZE SUPERMAN ON YOUR CLOSET DOOR WITH A PERMANENT MARKER!!!!!
Parents really freak if you do!!
(Even if it turns out really really awesome)

Thanks Allen. I already found it out that you can't draw on the doors. Yesterdy I drew on the wall. Mom wasn't happy about that.

I want to be a artist and a superhero someday.

From Josiah

That looks like fun Brings back memories of my mom sitting with me, drawing something for me to color in, then later going to art lessons

Sometimes mom draws something for me to copy too. I like to draw with mom.
From Josiah

I tried to draw when I was little Josiah, but I wasn't very good and there was no one to teach me how to do things. So, I waited till I was very old (49) to learn to draw. In fact my first attempt was about like yours. Keep on drawing and you will be amazing.

Debby

It makes me sad that you wanted to draw when you were little but you didn't have a teacher. Don't worry. 49 isn't that old. my mom is almost that old.

what kind of doctor are you?

from Josiah

You are doing great ! I think you will be quite good if you practice as often as you can!
I practice pretty often. I cannot draw on the walls anymore, though. Mom says.

from Josiah
:wave: :wink2: :evil: :eek: :music: :heart: :cat: :angel: :clap: :thumbsup: :cool: :D

beautifulbay
11-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Wow, 6 years old andalready drawing so well! Way to go! You keep practicing!

Oh...psst.... By the way....you're already an artist!

Zarathustra
11-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Wow. At six I was drawing strange figures with missing arms and hands. For a six year old to draw at this level shows a great deal of potential.

aaces
12-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Thanks Allen. I already found it out that you can't draw on the doors. Yesterdy I drew on the wall. Mom wasn't happy about that.

I want to be a artist and a superhero someday.

From Josiah

UH..:lol: ..Sorry MOM! Hope I didn't influence the young budding artist...
Maybe he's a natural born Muralist :D:o :D

Josiah.......you could become a superhero artist who saves the world with
your art......Keep dreaming big, drawing, and having fun......
one day you may be an art hero....
just like your Mom is now for teaching you :clap:

Indyviews
12-01-2007, 11:43 AM
I agree with the others, very good Josiah! I sure didn't draw that well at your age. Keep at it and have fun...some day you will be glad you did.

jyvonne
12-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Oh...psst.... By the way....you're already an artist!
Thank you for saying that. But I still need to practice.
From Josiah

Wow. At six I was drawing strange figures with missing arms and hands. For a six year old to draw at this level shows a great deal of potential.
My eagle doesn't have any arms or hands so don't feel bad. How old are you now?
From Josiah

you could become a superhero artist who saves the world with
your art......Keep dreaming big, drawing, and having fun......
one day you may be an art hero....
Okay... I will just draw my art and hang it up for people to see. Thank you for saying that. I am glad you like my stuff.

From Josiah

I agree with the others, very good Josiah! I sure didn't draw that well at your age. Keep at it and have fun...some day you will be glad you did.

I'm already glad I'm drawing. Its fun with my mom.
From Josiah

:wave: :clap: :) :angel: :cool: :thumbsup: :smug: :cat: :heart: :music: :lol: :D :smug: