PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Nov.26 - Dec. 2

Pat Isaac
11-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Good morning everyone,

:eek: December already....
We had a great visit with the family over the holiday. However, on Friday my daughter received an urgent call from the friend that went to feed her cats. Their house had been broken into. It didn't seem as if there was much damage, but my son-in-law felt he needed to go home so he left on a 10pm Amtrack Friday eve. and arrived in DC at 7am. My daughter and I and granddaughter had an appt. in Boston so we went . It was actually hair appts. with my other grandaughter. Took all day to be pampered. In the meantime my daughter looked at the weather forcasts for Sunday and Monday and decided it would be best to leave on Sunday rather than drive through rain and possibly freezing rain today. They arrived home safe and the missing items and damage to their house is minimal. Another house in the neighborhood was also broken into. Seemed stange as much that could have been taken wasn't. We are gald that they arrived home safe and that all seems well. I am still not feeling up to par from an earlier cold and may have to see the doctor today.

So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
11-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Hi all,
this is my fisrt time here, I have just been commenting on some of peoples works and am amazed and intimidated at the level of skills that I see here!!!!!

I have only done a couple of "quick" op sketches and although I reckon I can fall in love with them, I am intimated by them too.

(Please excuse me if this isn't making sense, I am on pain and mental health meds, and it's past my bed time :eek: so bit groggy :eek:).

I was wondering if others have felt this way, and if so how did they overcome the nerves and intimidation????

Thankyou!
(Ps. Pat - glad faimly made it home safe and sorry that they were broken-in to, it really isn't a nice feeling - been there too!)

LJW
11-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Pat, sorry to hear about the break-in at your daughter's house. It is so annoying to have that happen - it's happened to us twice, once a year after we moved into our first house, and then again when we moved here to the country. We now have a monitored alarm system, having read that that is the best solution.

Stacey, starting with a new medium is always intimidating. Each one has it's own peculiarities and challenges. If you've been doing okay with one and then start a new one, it feels like going backwards. The best thing to do with oil pastels is to experiment - the quality/softness of the OPs has a big influence on how easy they are to use and the paper you choose interacts with this. So I recommend buying only professional grade OPs and trying lots of different surfaces. I personally think that it's better to take some time working on a given painting, rather than rushing with them. When I started with OPs I worked quickly, but I improved by slowing down and taking more care. Still, the most important thing is to enjoy their versatility and to have fun trying them. Jane

wabbitt
11-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi Stacey, nice to see you in our little niche of Wetcanvas :) Don't be shy, you know a few of us already (me, EP & Lacey) and this is a small friendly group with lots of helpful suggestions. Styles stretch from one end to the other.

Pat, sorry your holiday festivities were interrupted. Our house was broken into when I was in high school. It was around Christmas time and they stole our gifts from under the tree and a bunch of Mom's jewelry, some of which was never recovered because they tossed some loot into a dark areas of the street. We were fortunate that there were a couple undercover cops across the street on stakeout when it happened so they were caught red-handed.

Pat Isaac
11-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Not to worry, Stacey, We are all a friendly bunch and help each other all the time. Jane has said it just right.
We have been broken into also and it is not a nice feeling. You were fortunate Julie to catch the culprits. I have a feeling my daughter and son-in-law will look into alarm systems now.
I went to the doctor this morning and I have pneumonia.....grrr...I knew I didn't feel right so I am out of commission for at least a week per doctor's orders. Well, I guess I can get my Chritmas cards done and mailed and maybe some on line shopping.....no studio and no orchestra and no going out, what a bummer. The meds will kick in soon, I hope.

Pat

LJW
11-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Pat, bad luck. I had pneumonia two years ago, brought home by my husband from a meeting where the person who started it all said they had the flu! The meds. cleared it up really quickly, so you should be okay if you take it easy. You may have gotten overtired and more susceptible with your very busy schedule. Getting some rest is probably a good thing - I couldn't keep going at the pace you do. Hope you're feeling better soon. Jane

Pat Isaac
11-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks, Jane. I'm sure that's true. The body just said enough!

Pat

annepropst
11-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Not to worry Stacey. I am a newbie as well. As a matter of fact, I became so interested in what these talented artists had to say about oil pastels that I just ran to the art store and bought my supplies. Can't wait to start...but you can be sure, you will be ahead of me for sure. Feel better?

LJW
11-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Welcome Anne. Looking forward to seeing some of your work, too. Jane

Pat Isaac
11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Welcome, anne. I'll be looking also.

Pat

AngelaF
11-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi everyone, hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. I had a nice one. So sorry about your daughter and son-in-law's break-in, Pat. Everyone seems to have had some experience with that in their replies, knock on wood, I have not, seems like it would feel like such a violation. Sorry about your illness, too, Pat, hope you do take it easy and feel better, soon.

Stacey, please don't feel intimidated, everyone here is very supportive. Everyone here is in different stages of development and everyone here knows that one's abilities evolve as they work.

Welcome, AnnieP, hope you enjoy the OP's! Looking forward to seeing your work.

My floor is done, looks good, still working on odds and ends and then will get to "unpack". Having lighting worked on by yet another contractor today and tomorrow. Still have some baseboard and backsplash to put up, furniture to put together and situate. It drags on yet, but not as physically draining on me for the most part.

Happy Painting, Angela

Pat Isaac
11-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Glad to hear that your floor is finally finished, Angela. I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Pat

LJW
11-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Angela, I'm so happy to hear that you got the flooring finished! Hopefully, it won't be long before you're settled in and can get back to painting. Jane

fishfan
11-28-2007, 06:28 AM
Hi All. We're in Oman and here's a shot you can use for reference if you've just about run out of green OPs.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2007/80491-IMG_6620.jpg

Pat Isaac
11-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Wow, Ed. You really are moving around. Thanks for the photo and no greens is right....:lol: Any fish there???

Pat

AnnieA
11-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi everybody! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Pat: I'm sorry to hear about the break in but it's good that the damage and loss was minimal. Yeah, the body has a way of telling us when it's just had enough. Take care of yourself, Pat! Pneumonia is something to take very seriously - take it easy and get lots of rest - I hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Stacey: Welcome to the OP Forum! :wave: The intimidation you feel is a common thing when starting a new medium. I even felt it when switching to a new brand of OPs a while back. I'd been working primarily with student grade OPs and then got a box of Senneliers. At first, they felt as if I was drawing with lipstick! They're so soft and I just wasn't used to it so my first efforts were...well, let's not talk about those. :lol: But if one keeps practicing the early struggles are overcome. The Weekly Sketch thread is a good place to get a lot of practice and it's a friendly bunch. I hope you'll join us.

Anne: Welcome to you too. :wave: What supplies did you get? Enjoy! And I hope you'll be posting your efforts here as well.

Angela: It's terrific that all your work is finally with in reach of being done. It must feel wonderful - you've had such struggles. It sounds like you should be able to get back to painting soon now. :)

Ed: How beautiful! Thanks for posting the photo. I hope we'll see more and that you'll update us on the details of your trip. I'm still so curious about what brought you to Oman...

LJW
11-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Wow, Ed. What a different-looking landscape. It would be a workout for beige and sand colours, that's for sure. Enjoy your trip. Jane

Bars
11-29-2007, 12:57 AM
Hi Pat, talking about burglaries, a great deterrent is a fierce looking dog with a big bark. I have had neighbours all around me that were burgled but no villians showed their faces at my windows. This aver many years. I thank all our brave pets, what woul;d we do without them I am no stranger to pnuemonia, unfortunately. Don't overdo it too soon. Get well soon Bars

LJW
11-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Bars, I had to comment on your dog deterrent strategy. I know this is recommended, but I have to mention a caveat. When our city burglary occurred, we were out at Obedience School training with our Great Pyrenees dog - 120lbs with a BIG bark. I don't know if it was just coincidental or if someone had been watching and saw us leave with the dog. The dog has to be there when the burglars arrive or it won't have any effect! Jane

wabbitt
11-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Great to see new faces in here. Welcome, Anne & Bars :wave:

Ed, I love those shadows on the little islands. Hope you have a safe trip home. I can't wait to see what you paint from Oman.

Pat & Jane, I don't know if you've noticed but a couple of newbies have posted in the OP forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=390)above this (studio) forum.

LJW
11-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks, Julie, for the warning about the postings in our 'heading' forum where no postings are supposed to occur. Pat will be able to move them here to the Studio. Jane