GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Third Eye
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14x18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I had a dream about her. She's supposed to represent our third eye. Most people can't see through it very clearly because they're too busy talking.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I know the shading is not the best, but I'm still perfecting that skill. Honest critiques are much appreciated. Thank you!

iam_thevieve
11-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Will someone please critique my painting?

creodont
11-26-2007, 02:43 AM
Shading and highlighting the eye may help a bit. you have wonderful hair structure highlighting some of the long strand so they stand out more is anotheir idea. Sometimes the third eye is placed on the forehead. For iguanids and other lizards the third eye or pineal eye is located on top of the head. This is an organ that may help work with light or heat response.

Zarathustra
11-26-2007, 06:45 AM
It has a nice illustrative quality about it. The face looks a bit on the wide side, but maybe this was a deliberate design element. The nose is also too thin and the bottom of the nose to the top lip, too far apart. Certainly when you think of the 'third eye' you general assume it to be on the forehead, so without the title I would not have thought of the eye in this manner. Keeping her actual eyes closed was a good decision.

allanom
11-26-2007, 12:40 PM
"Will someone please critique my painting?"

Patience, friend. Most here can respond readily to images of dogs, barns, kids, landscapes, but more personal, challenging works get less and slower feedback.

You appear to have placed the Third Eye chakra symbol (psychic perception)in the (relative) position of the 5th chakra (communication, etc.). Was there some serious thought process behind this -- maybe relative to the balance of (possibly) your own chakras, or those of someone else? Or are you just playing around with the iconography to come up with an unusual image? It doesn't quite work for me on any particular level; and the painting quality is rather lightweight. But good for you for the effort.

iam_thevieve
11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
To explain: I had a dream about her. I don't remember a whole lot about the dream except she walked up to me with her eyes open and her mouth closed. Then she closed her eyes and took a deep breath like she was going to scream, but instead of screaming, when she opened her mouth there was an eye that looked directly at me. I intended no real deep meaning behind the painting, but when I woke up from the dream, I had an insane urge to paint her.

The reason I called it "Third Eye" was mainly because I thought it could be a different way to represent our so called "third eye". As I said in my description, the placement of the eye shows why we modern people can never see the supernatural or use our "6th sense". We're all too busy talking and trying to be noticed to pause and look beyond ourselves into the surreal. I knew when I started the painting that a lot of people would argue that the third eye is generally placed on the forehead, but I wanted to take a different approach to this philosophical idea.

Zarathustra- thank you so much for your input. I knew there was something wrong with my proportions, but I couldn't place it. The face was set wide because I used a picture of one of my friends for a reference. As for the other things, my only excuse is, this was my first attempt to paint a human.

Zarathustra
11-27-2007, 06:19 AM
If this is your first attempt then you've done exceedingly well! You'll rarely find a more difficult subject matter to paint.

allanom
11-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Sometimes a little background on a piece is immensely helpful. A dream: of course! And it appears to be a notification about chakra displacement.

As Zarathustra says: good first effort!

Allan

HRobinson
11-27-2007, 12:19 PM
The "eye" is a formidable opponent of the rest of your picture. Also, because that may have well been in your dream, you didn't portray the artistic command which was surely in your head while you were dreaming it. Technically? A focal point is also important even though you may not have "dreamed" one.

The hair was well presented. -h

MRSBB
11-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi Iam, and welcome to Wet Canvas. If what you want to impart is that people are too busy talking to see, perhaps you might add an ear to the girls left side to emphasize that in order to see they need to listen. I think your painting is fine in the structure of the face, except maybe broaden the nose more. Very thought provoking...............Lenore

Corby
11-27-2007, 07:07 PM
To me there seems to be an "emotional" lacking in the portrayal. What I mean: A long while ago I ran across an image in a magazine along the same lines as this except the person had their mouth open with their teeth showing and each eye was a mouth, the same way. The emotional reaction was immediate. I almost swallowed my partial the image was so startling. It was so compelling, but I did not want to think about it. Guess you could say it grossed me out. The point being I guess that with that image there were no explanations that could soothe the shock. Here, my immediate reaction was she had a glass eye in her mouth. I think it needs painted in such a way that there are no easy ways out from what we are seeing. There should no matter what the message intent was be some shock value in the image. I find none. Welcome to the WC! Iam, and thanks for sharing. I may sound "mean", but really I'm not...

iam_thevieve
11-28-2007, 02:08 AM
I don't think any one's mean...unless of course they say something like "Your painting sucks. You should burn everything you've ever painted because it would make better firewood than art." However, I get the feeling no one on here is mean like that. The open critique forum is here for that purpose critiquing. I very much appreciate everyone's contributions. I know it doesn't have that WOW feeling, but I'm still learning.

Corvus, I know what picture you're talking about. It's a little girl isn't it? That picture is extremely creepy. I think I had a nightmare about it. The person who made that has a website I think it's humandescent.