PDA

View Full Version : Worst.Sunrise.Painting.EVER.

ejtupi
11-25-2007, 05:33 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-25-2007/114249_Sunrise_crop2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Worst.Sunrise.Painting.EVER.
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 X 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Admit it: there are some paintings so bad they almost leave you gasping and wishing you hadn't eaten recently. Well, this might be in that category.<br><br>Trust me, the camera almost refused to take this picture. <br><br>I'm at a loss to explain it, but it was sure fun making it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is your opportunity to give a critique where you're certain that no matter what you say the "artist" is not going to be offended. My neighbor, who is an actual artist and quite talented, was aghast at this. Mission accomplished, I guess.<br><br>So, blast away! How many times do you get to really say what you feel about a painting without wondering if you'll get put on Double Secret Probation by WC? <br><br>Seize the chance before a mod deletes it!!!

iam_thevieve
11-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Personally, I like it. I think it's very Van Gogh-esque. The only thing I could say is, where's the sun?

Dhuot
11-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Well, I do like the movement in this, as I see it more like a zoom in on some waves.
I can almost hear the sea and almost feel ligtheadedness cos the head is spinin !
Cool , I like it too :)

Ronni
11-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Hello:) Seems I'll be the first to really use this unique opportunity to say what I think (in the matter of fact, I lost a friend here who got angry with me for saying my critique)...back here, first, I wish it was well photographed and framed, second, using this lines' technic is very nice, but! it should have gotten a more careful treatment. It looks clumzy, the way the ends of lines of the above wave are not hiddened by the closer wave. You achieved a great feel of colors but the finish is we say "partach" also, the middle wave could have recieved a more "wavy" movement. I'll tell you what I have been told by all my teachers at school "I looks clear you have a potential".

Paintbrush74
11-25-2007, 06:36 PM
It kind of reminds me of the ocean, and of muscle fibers. In the middle of the bottom, it could be a reflection of light.

I'm thinking this is a reflection of the sunrise on water, right? I saw no mention of water in your post, but it looks quite green on my monitor. Since it's acrylic, you can probably work with it some more. It seems as though that fibrous diagonal swath of color in the middle has split open an upper layer, and is coming up through it. That's the part that makes me think of muscles. I think it has great possibilities as an abstract piece.

kathrynlovespets
11-25-2007, 07:19 PM
nice colors, they look tropical like colors you'd find at a beach condo

it DOES look like the ocean...reflection of sunrise in the ocean....

MRSBB
11-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi Ejtupi....Well.........when I first looked at it, it looked like a surfboard without the surfer. I downloaded it and rotated it. Different views give it different ideas. When it is rotated so the surfboard thingy is upright, it looks like a good background for a painting by La,,,,,,just kidding. I am so grounded I have never gotten into abstract much except for mendosa's work. I do like the colors. Maybe if the surfboard was round, it could be made into an eddy or whirlpool........Well maybe...............Lenore

ejtupi
11-26-2007, 01:50 AM
Oops! Just realized it was upside down! (Thanks for the reminder, Lenore!)

Kidding.

Just in case, here it is, cropped and flipped. If I keep cropping it I might find a part I like. Now it's a sunrise [or sunset] over a gruesome green ocean.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2007/114249-Sunrise_crop2_flipped.jpg

I should have mentioned that this is the first in a series of themed paintings. My next one is titled, "Horrendous.Portrait.of.Some.Old.Dude.with.Lots.of.Lines.on.His.Face.to.Show.Character"

I'll start that one very soon.

Until then, continue the critiques, please. Thanks to all who've participated in this group venting. Kind of an interesting exercise in finding how colors, forms, contours, and lines evoke personal and individual internal responses.

allanom
11-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself, it's actually quite lovely, in a small, unpretentious way.

creodont
11-26-2007, 02:27 AM
Ejtupi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is your best yet..Nahhhhhhhhhhh the jumping fox one is still my favorite. This is quite nice but I'm getting a bit seasick..It really moves you around. What type of sunsets are they getting up in the frozen North. your putting yourself down bit is not gonna work with me. You did a good job and it shows....................The rainbow colors work well in a harmonious balance with the green background......Go have some squirrel stew mixed with pine seeds Some warm milk with a little of Jack Daniels and you will feel better about it in the morning....John

Ronni
11-26-2007, 02:33 AM
One thing I can say, you are never boring, always surprising, and your experimental attitiude is exiting to me. I really believe you are a greater artist already, then those who keep coppying things and themselves all the time.

Bis007
11-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Hee.. i like his upbeat comments too!
blast away!

Colorix
11-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Oh. Ummm. Er... Well, love the opportunity.:)

As an optical confusion-device affecting the brain and balance organ, it works really well, excellently, in fact. Psychedelic. It might have a future in the interrogation business.:cool:

It is not actually really ugly, it is the fact that the waves dance and move that is so disturbing, and a certain colour effect of an already eaten meal becoming, well, let's say --visible again.:(

In short, the optical effect is literally nauseating to me, and the stripes of colour vibrate against each other to create a colour sensation of -- minestrone... pizza...

And I'm only being honest, not even venting.... must have a mean streak.:evil:

Totally useless question: If people ask for C&C, and if they ask "please give me your thoughts", why then do they become offended. if in the midst of tons of friendly and nice kudos, there appears a gentle suggestion that is valid and would make their paintings better? The answer is of course that people are people, and quite often don't mean what they say. C&C may be short for Compliments & Credit, in their vocabulary.

Thank you for posting, I'd love to see the next planned painting.:wave:

Charlie

kathrynlovespets
11-26-2007, 09:21 PM
eeehhh I like it better in the first one
...strange, I like another of your paintings better upside down as well...
but I s'pose it looks more like a sunset in second one...though the colors are off and the horizon line is jagged

laudesan
11-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Yup you are right rotflol :lol: :thumbsup: :wink2: :D

You new best friend JJ :heart:

mariahrt
11-27-2007, 11:45 AM
I think it is a good painting in the sense of your humor and your good attitude. It does make for an interesting sunset scene...I can't wait to see your next painting the old dude with wrinkles etc... LOL Really, this painting could probably help let your painting aggresions all out! Stay encouraged. It takes courage to go with your gut feeling on a painting, instead of "staying within the lines."

mooz49
11-28-2007, 05:55 AM
Hi EJ ..... :wave: ..... certainly looks like you did have a lot of fun doing this one and that is what it's all about they say ..... :thumbsup: ...... as soon as I saw it it reminded me of the big waves shown in Byron's thread about The Nelscott tow in competition ...... now go and post it in the Marine Forum ..... you know we really are nice people in there ..... don't you? :D :wave: ..... and just for you here is a :clap: ......

mooz49
11-28-2007, 05:56 AM
..... and if I squint my eyes I can see a cow in there somewhere .... go on try it! :lol: :lol:

april25
11-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Personally, I like it. I think it's very Van Gogh-esque. The only thing I could say is, where's the sun?

Just my words... :thumbsup:

laudesan
11-28-2007, 08:12 AM
..... and if I squint my eyes I can see a cow in there somewhere .... go on try it! :lol: :lol: I am getting seasick..:o

Kiana Fecteau
11-28-2007, 03:17 PM
I think that if you gave it a different title that refers to a closeup of colored yarn or muscle or hair instead of a landscape, it will pass as a great abstract. Of course, you would have to change that strip of land at the bottom.

I also agree that if you flip it sideways, you can use it as the background for something tropical.

L'Artiste
11-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Hello! I read somewhere that only one painting in a hundred that an artist paints is a really good one. So look at it this way - only 99 more to go! :)

Mantema
11-28-2007, 05:52 PM
If you stand on your head while looking at it in a mirror, it's not that bad. It gives you quite a rush when you get rightside up again, too!

ejtupi
11-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Wow, the Van Gogh references are so close to the truth. The other night I was trying to give myself a haircut and managed to get my ear in the scissors. I put a bigass bandage all over the side of my head (the ear didn’t really bleed, but it was kind of red if you looked real close). Almost got Baker Acted for a 72-hour stay in G Ward (danger to self or others) but I managed to convince them that I had just finished my 98th lousy painting and was just about to hit it big, so they let me stay loose.

So, if I told you that much of my difficulty in painting results from my disadvantaged childhood, would you like this picture more (at all)? My parents wouldn’t give me my own room…. I’m still dealing with that…. You can see my internal conflict and suppressed turmoil in the surfboard-shaped muscle fibers cascading across the jello-like sky…

I'm going to go stand on my head......:mad: :eek:

nodakcoyote
11-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Eckshully it reminds me a gastroscopy. I saw a gallbladder once that was filled with sludge this color.

Corby
11-29-2007, 01:41 PM
To bridge the gap between those who see the sunrise and those who see the sea I might mention that the exact moment I saw it I said to myself: "Wow! A Mackerel Sky!" Mackerel skies are especially impressive when they are layered like that. I am not sure of the choice of color, maybe something brighter, although in my experience they have been mostly silver in tone. A Marvelous job Ejtupi! I'm wondering if maybe you need a sitter for that upcoming portrait? Sounds like me to a brushstroke...

kathrynlovespets
11-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Eckshully it reminds me a gastroscopy. I saw a gallbladder once that was filled with sludge this color.

:lol: zat's pretty dern funny

ej, You should do a portrait of yourself with the bandage on your head like van gogh....even if it turns out to be the worst portrait.ever.