PDA

View Full Version : Mask Plant C&C

Botartist
11-24-2007, 12:29 PM
X-Post to Floral Forum

I am currently working on a painting of a Mask Plant(Alocacia) in the formal botanical style ie no background or container, diffused light from over artist's left shoulder and hopefully, absolute accuracy in colour, form and texture. C&C is requested - please be very honest - any suggestions are welcome.

(half sheet 300 lb hot pressed Fabriano Artistico/Holbein, Winsor Newton transparent watercolor)

Since my painting is large and scanner small (until Santa comes with a new one:lol: ), I have scanned most of the painting in two parts plus did a close-up of the base which I think is finished.

Thanks, Karen Taylor

gemineye
11-24-2007, 02:30 PM
This is great!! The base looks wonderful...very delicately painted. Looking foward to seeing the leaves progress. I have no idea what this plant is supposed to look like...but I really love the maze-like veins on the leaves!

laudesan
11-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Oooooooooo looking gorgeous already!

JJ

Botartist
11-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Thank you Tracy and JJ. I have been working on it this evening (bad night for movies on tv in Toronto) and have gotten 1/2 of the next leaf done. I dare not go any farther until I have another plant in front of me though. The original plant that I did the drawing from is now dormant. Maybe I'll treat myself and buy another. Again, thanks for the encouragement.

Karen

hpthecat
11-25-2007, 12:32 AM
pulling up a chair...really neat to watch!

Laura D
11-25-2007, 04:28 AM
Karen, you have an amazing start here. The definition on the leaves is wonderful. The scales on the stems need to have a similar impact. I think you chould darken their "shadows" and leave the highlights as they are - that would unify the base and leaves a bit better. Heidi Willis would be able to explain it better than I can. I hope she looks in over in the Botanical forum, she may see it here in WC.

painterbear
11-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Karen,
I am not familiar with this plant but what you've done so far looks absolutely wonderful.

I love the base closeup on the left above. The delicacy of your blends and shading is gorgeous.

I look forward to seeing your progress as you work on this.

Sylvia

Botartist
11-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Thank you everyone. Since I'm new to posting these WIP, how often should I upload an image. Should I show you the next step of narrowing the veins so they look like the other leaf? Any suggestions appreciated.

Laura, by scales, did you mean the small discolorations on the stems above the dried papery covering at the base? If so, the plant does not have any scales, only darker linear markings on the stem. When I post the next time, I'll try to focus on them. If you meant another area, could you perhaps describe it more precisely. I am very interested in your comments and do not want to misunderstand what you are suggesting. THank you for taking the time to critique my work.

Thank you all.

Regards, Karen

painterbear
11-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Karen,
You can show us an update whenever you have finished a section and feel like taking a photo. We will enjoy watching it emerge. :D

Sylvia

CharM
11-26-2007, 08:47 PM
I really enjoy botanical illustrations... your detail is coming along beautifully and, I think, accurately... I look forward to your next steps!

Laura D
11-27-2007, 04:41 AM
Laura, by scales, did you mean the small discolorations on the stems above the dried papery covering at the base? If so, the plant does not have any scales, only darker linear markings on the stem.

The actual stems' "texture" was what I was talking about. Aren't the markings indicative of raised areas? In the floral trade we called those scales, probably not true botanical nomenclature. :)

Botartist
11-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Laura, thank you for your reply. The areas are not raised in any way and are exactly the same texture as the rest of the stem. The only difference are groupings of small darker lines. I'll try to include a photo of the plant next time.

Regards, Karen

Laura D
11-27-2007, 03:54 PM
:thumbsup:

KreativeK
11-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Superb work!!!